Sportbike World banner

Help for a NEWBIE - 98 ZX6 Filter?

870 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Sbninja 
#1 ·
Okay... don't laugh. This is going to be a 'tarded question. I just bought a 98 ZX-6 and was changing the oil..... ok, finally got the frikkin' filter off with the help of a 'cap' style wrench but.... now the filter won't come out through the pipes in front. As far as I can tell that's the ONLY way it WILL come out but it doesn't quite fit. Please tell me the design engineers did NOT make it where you have to take the pipes loose just to change the oil!!!!! Anyone with a 98 zx can help me out here??? Please?? Tommorrow I'm buying a shop manual too. Any suggestions on the best ones out there for bikes?

Oh... and where's the best place to get some new pegs? My right one has a hairline crack and i was thinking about replacing with some offset ones maybe to stretch my legs back a tad. I'm 6'3" so it might help some.

Thanks for the help and patience with the new green guy. :p

#2 ·
Filter caps are a cool invention, but unfortunately, oil filters are very soft and will wedge themselves in the caps.

I normally use a regular adjustable filter wrench, but you have a problem, don'tcha?

If the cap is still stuck to the filter and you can't remove the cap/filter from the between the headers, what I would do is screw the cap/filter back in (don't tighten), and by any means you can, try to wiggle the cap off the filter. Once off, unscrew the filter by hand.

Hope that works for you.

As far as "pegs" go, by your description, you're looking for rear-sets. Check the links below:

http://www.revlimiterracing.com

They can help you out.

#3 ·
I have the cap off, but the filter still won't come out between the pipes. There seems to be a bolt holding the oil cooler in that may be the problem, but... wasn't sure if anyone wiht this bike had run into this before.

True... I had to screw the filter back on and get a seal puller to pop the cap off. Sure is turning into being a pain just to change the oil. :mad:

#5 ·
Nope... bone stock. I looked again this morning. There's a bolt holding the oil cooler it looks like that may be stopping it. I didn't have time to look at it though.

Any time you take the pipes loose don't you run the risk of developing a small leak there? I'm assuming there are gaskets there as well that if I remove I should replace on the pipes.

#6 ·
That's weird. I've owned 2 different ZX-6R's (just not the 98-99 models :D), but I've never had a problem removing the filter.

I don't remember them having an oil cooler in '98, but if so, just loosen a couple of the brackets holding the radiator(s) just enough so you can get the filter out. What does the shop manual say to do?

#7 ·
Got it. Don't have a shop manual. The local shop is having a hard time finding me a manual so guess I'll have to order one from the Dealership.

THe bolt going through that radiator mount sticks out in the back and that is what was hanging the filter. Just backed it out a half inch and it slid right out.

My bike is just the zx6 (no R) :( Probably best that way since I haven't been on the road in quite some time.

#8 ·
figures it'd be something simple like that.

If you do take the pipes loose, it's a prime time to check out the gaskets, and replace if necessary. They may not always need be replaced, but I'd recommend it if you take the pipes off. They're only like $3 each.

Glad to hear you found the problem nevertheless.

#10 ·
Hey Kneedragger ,
I have a 97' ZX6 and when I changed my oil I had to remove the oil filter wrench before I completely unscrewed the oil filter then it wouldn't just come straight out, I had to turn it a certain way( wich way exactly, I don't remember) but play with it a little it should come out, I can't see your 98' being all that different than my 97;) . and if it is, and you have to remove the header pipe before, then do it and then sell the bike , because that's just crazy!:eek: to have to do that every oil change

Ride well:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.