Sportbike World banner

Dealer Rip Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  chris_y2k_r1 
#1 ·
First, I want to thank all of you who have replied to my previous posts about a slip-on and jet kit. Man, I love you guys!!!:)

Now, I decided to purchase a Yoshimura RS-3 race slip on for my 2001 R6. I planned on installing the slip-on myself, but was going to have the dealer install the jet kit for me. The dealer faxed me a quote and it stated:

$399.50 for the Yoshimura RS-3 Race Carbon Fiber slip-on
$119.95 for the Dyno Jet Kit

$345.00 to install both!!! and he said, and I quote, "installation of the Yoshimura slip-on on the R6 is very tricky" Is this true??

Is this about the right price to install the slip-on and jet kit??? It does not sound right to me. Hell, the installation costs just about as much as the parts!!:finger:

I think that I can cut down the installation cost if I just install the slip-on myself. Is it "very tricky" for a '01 R6. I am going to bite the bullet and just pay for the jet kit, but shit, they don't even have a dyno machine :finger:

Can someone please give me some advice!! The weather here in St. Louis is about to break, and it is going to be 60+ degrees for the next couple of weeks!! I want to get the mods done to my bike soon, but I don't want to be ripped off by the dealer!!

See less See more
#2 ·
That installation cost sounds just a bit high. I can't imagine installing a slip-on being very difficult on your bike. I would say an hour at most. It took me about 1 hour on my RC and it has two pipes but my bodywork is a little bit easier to deal with.

The jet kit on the other hand is somewhat time consuming since they have to remove the tank, airbox and other crap in the way of the carbs, then probably take the carbs out. I believe there is some drilling to do also. Some of the more technically competent members can add info on that. I would guess you are talking maybe 2. I don't know what your shop's labor rate is but 3 hours should be nowhere near $300. Let say 4 hours at $60 per and it would only be $240.

I would purchase elsewhere then install the pipe at home then go elsewhere to have the jet kit installed.

#3 ·
Slip-on, jet kit, & K&N pods installed on my 2000 Bandit for right
at $250.00.....of course you have body panels to deal with which
adds time.....might not be a HORRIBLE rip-off.

At least is is done right & you can go back to them if there are problems.

#4 ·
Cam McFarland said:
Slip-on, jet kit, & K&N pods installed on my 2000 Bandit for right
at $250.00.....of course you have body panels to deal with which
adds time.....might not be a HORRIBLE rip-off.

At least is is done right & you can go back to them if there are problems.
You got ripped off too. :D:p

#6 ·
I guess when moneys not a problem it doesnt hurt so much...;)

#7 · (Edited)
RCjohn said:

You got ripped off too. :D:p

I paid $250.00....

I quote RCJohn...."The jet kit on the other hand is somewhat time consuming since they have to remove the tank, airbox and other crap in the way of the carbs, then probably take the carbs out. I believe there is some drilling to do also. Some of the more technically competent members can add info on that. I would guess you are talking maybe 2. I don't know what your shop's labor rate is but 3 hours should be nowhere near $300. Let say 4 hours at $60 per and it would only be $240. "

$10.00 more than what you figured & I got ripped off......

added by Cam....

Actually, I dont think I paid $250.00, I think it was less, closer to $210.00.....I just cant remember exactly & all the receipts got lost in the flood.

#8 ·
Look no offence, but it's a slip-on. do it yourself they are not that difficult. As for the jet kit it should run about 3 hrs to do. So multiply that by your shops rate and that should be your price.

STL huh? I'm about 2 hrs away in Iowa. Ever ride with the StreetFighterz? Just curious.

Steve

#9 ·
If they don't have a dyno it's a waste of money and time PERIOD. Without a dyno you should just do it yourself and follow the jet kit manu's suggestions. Either do it yourself and have a fun day learning about your bike or find someone with a dyno who can do test runs INCLUDING gas analysis to do it right.

I haven't done one myself but have looked at instructions for install's and it's not rocket science. At the same time if you can't tell a phillips from a ratchet let someone else do it.

If you can't find a dyno nearby (highly unlikely), find out what they'll charge if you bring in only the carbs. Thus you save 80% of the shop time that's from removing the bodywork/tank/carbs. I have done this and it takes some time but ain't hard to get right. It also avoids nasty fights over who scratched the bodywork cause you KNOW who did it!!:D :D

#10 ·
My personal opinion is don't do the jetting yourself. Those needles are soooo delicate, they can be irreparably damaged, yet the damage is almost invisible to the naked eye, so that you would take all that time to install them and they would be screwed up and you would have to pay for re-installing them.

Have you LOOKED under your tank? There are so many tubes and hoses and ducts and wires, it looks like spaghetti!!!

Do everything else yourself. The idea of a shop with a dyno is a good one.

Let us know how it turns out.

#11 ·
I agree with apexismaximus; if they don't have a dyno it's not hard to install yourself. I did my friends baby ninja a while back and it was no problem at all. Mainly removing jets and replacing them with new ones, plus one hole had to be drilled out. As long as you are comfortable with taking the carbs off and apart you will be fine, it's not hard to do, but you do need to pay attention so you know where hoses, cables, and little bitty screws are supposed to go when you put it back together. Of course I would still recommend taking it to a shop with a dyno and letting them do it. They will be able to tune it up better than you will.

#12 · (Edited)
desmo079 said:
Those needles are soooo delicate........

Have you LOOKED under your tank? There are so many tubes and hoses and ducts and wires, it looks like spaghetti!!!

Lions and tigers and bears oh my..............

chickenshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

J/K of course my friend

#13 · (Edited)
Like Apex said, and I said in another post, having a shop without a Dyno install a jet kit, is a waste of money.

If you haven't seen an aftermarket jet kit/needle before, it's just a tapered needle (about 3 inches long) with 5 grooves at the top. Per the instructions that come with the kit, it will almost always (if not always) state to install the c-clip (usually included) in the middle position (#3), and install the needle. That's about as far as the shop will/can go. How else are they going to "tune" your bike without a contraption of some sort to give them numbers? By feel? You gonna trust someone to tune your bike... by feel? Unless he's Mat Mladin, I wouldn't trust anyone to tune my bike by feel.

So, are you ready to fork over upwards of $300 to have a shop lift the gas tank, take off the airbox, and "insert" new needles? <raising hand> I'll do it for ya, for $250!

On the other hand, if the shop does have a Dyno, it'll be worth while to have it run on the Dyno, but that an extra charge, on top of the $250-$300 for installation.

#18 ·
Cam McFarland said:

I paid $250.00....

I quote RCJohn...."The jet kit on the other hand is somewhat time consuming since they have to remove the tank, airbox and other crap in the way of the carbs, then probably take the carbs out. I believe there is some drilling to do also. Some of the more technically competent members can add info on that. I would guess you are talking maybe 2. I don't know what your shop's labor rate is but 3 hours should be nowhere near $300. Let say 4 hours at $60 per and it would only be $240. "

$10.00 more than what you figured & I got ripped off......

added by Cam....

Actually, I dont think I paid $250.00, I think it was less, closer to $210.00.....I just cant remember exactly & all the receipts got lost in the flood.
I'm sorry. I was in a hurry. :rolleyes: What I meant to type was:

If you tried to get any performance out of a Kawasaki(or Suzuki for that matter)... you got ripped off. :D :D

:p

#19 ·
RCjohn said:

I'm sorry. I was in a hurry. :rolleyes: What I meant to type was:

If you tried to get any performance out of a Kawasaki(or Suzuki for that matter)... you got ripped off. :D :D

:p
O.K. then....thats better!!!:D

#20 ·
Pete said:

Look, Paul is using Cam's account to post! LOL.
Yeah, how did Paul do that.....???:D

#21 ·
I think that the price maybe a little high since they don't have a dyno but not extremely out of line if they are planning on experimenting. What I mean by that is that a good mechanic will consider the base setting that comes with the kit as a starting place. After they go and ride it they will take it back apart and make the proper adjustments. By having a dyno it helps alot with the adjustment but a good mechanic can get pretty close by playing around. Chances are that if you do what some of the others said and simply put it in at the base setting you will acctually loose performance. I've seen this happen about 90% of the time when a customer installs the kit himself. Just because the kit comes with a starting place doesn't mean that it is the best setting for your area and alltitude. I would recomend going to the dealer for the jet kit and maybe try to talk them down on the price. As far as the slip on goes that is something that you can do yourself.

#22 ·
I say go for it man and Jet it yourself! If the shop doesnt have a dyno then whats the point of having them do it. Either that of go to a reputable shop that can provide a dyno.

I remember doing my first jetting on my '90 FZR400 and a full VH Exhaust system. After I got it all in as per Factory specs I took the bike out for a ride. It was hello loud and it ran like shit unless I was over 8000. That wasnt too much of a problem on the Sunday morning rides but around town it was the shits.

I then got back into the carbs and changes the height of the needles and things changed slightly but it was still shitty. I eventually went back to stock EXUP system. Once again I was able to take it up to 15,000rpm and not get a headache. By the way, I never had formal instructions on doing this work.. It was my first time and it got progressivly easier by the fourth time.

Think about what you really are trying to accomplish with your bike. Is it really necessary to rejet? Isnt a slip-on fine for now?

My buddy bought a slip-on for his 2001 Bandit and rode it that way for a year. All the while telling me that he needed to jet the bike. I tried to explain to him what may happen but he "needed" the jet kit. Well, he just got one installed by a very reputable shop that has a dyno.

He has alot more power above 5K but off the line it is a slug compared to what it was. I dont think he is totally happy with the end results.

Miguel

#23 ·
I called Factory Pro yesterday and got a price. It's about $775 (or something like that) to install a jet kit and tuned on an Eddie Current machine, including the cost for the jet kit.

They had mentioned that it costs about $50 a run, and the average tune takes about 10 runs (but some as high as 60 runs).

This is just to put "drop-in" (no dyno) and "drop-in and tune" (with dyno) into perspective.

#24 ·
I jetted my 99 R6, it is a complete pain in the ass the way Yamaha has the carbs mounted to the intakes. It's incredibly difficult to get to the intake clamps to remove them. The price is a little high though. See if you can talk directly to a mechanic that you know and ask him if he'd do it on the weekend or something. More money for him, less for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.