Words, Words, Words - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Cool Words, Words, Words

It seems that every sport has it's own unique lexicon, it's own special terms that all the "insiders" know and understand. Sportbike riders are no different.

For instance, we all pretty much know and understand what a "squid" is. "Poser" is another. I have seen some others that aren't quite clear to me. I can guess, but to avoid embarrassment when posting or even bench racing with my riding buddies, I'd like to have an exact definition.

We're a bit behind the times here in Iowa, and being current on my terminology would be a good thing.

So, my suggestion would be to include a "glossary" of terms as one of the forums. I mean, "curb monkey"? I think I know..........

We could even include some good natured name calling, not to mention being able to stay up with you guys who are at the core of sportbike riding.

So how about it guys (and girls)?

Can we have some fun, here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 03:06 PM

I'm still working on starting one. I had suggested this idea before and have had no response. The site has been under alot of work and we have had no time to discuss or even start one up.

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM

yeh! for Des Moines and surrounding area's not to many of us on here!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:46 PM

Of help would be to someone new to the world of m/cing would be when we see a chap & new to this site using something like "drive" or "driving" in place of RIDE or RIDING then in a polite way put in a post to point out the proper word to be used.

Like on 'another' m/c board a chap was keen on a "sporter" bike & so many took that to mean a HD & so came the suggestions, to where he said he had seen such a model of a Harley & the cost to high & then in came suggestions of metric cruisers.

I was just about to ask him if he was not referring to a "sportbike" when another regular posted this & suggested a Suzy SV-650. That is when he realized there was a difference & it was a "sport bike" (as he put it) he had in mind.

So you can see even then he did not know how to type out SPORTBIKE properly & that is when I came in with a correction in the words used of 'drive & driving' & that he might take a look at the 500cc vertical twins by both Suzy & Kawasaki since this riding would be new to him with the Suzy SV-650 or 650s as the bike to step up to with his gained experience.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:02 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I don't know if this helps, but check this out.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dicti...nary-index.htm

As with everything, take some of the definitions with a grain of salt. Here is how it defines sportbikes:

Quote:
Sportbike - The racy light weight mega-fast bikes with full fairing, comfort is not taken into consideration on these bikes rather they are made for hard acceleration, quick and responsive manuevering, and rapid stopping power.
I especially like the part about comfort. IMO sportbikes are far more comfortable than any cruiser I've been on.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:09 PM

By the way it has taken some of us, a lot of time, to get the word "scooter" out of the lingo of m/cing language bar those that only talk in old Harley language & even those OLDER riders back, that rode Harley-Davidson & Indian have pretty well fadded off the 'net as basically they no longer ride HD or Indian bikes.

I guess I am one of some that are still left, having owned to riding & actually competitiing with the V-twins of both HD & Indian bikes in the past years.

Still in my 58 yrs of riding the word 'scooter' beloned to real scooters be they some of the ones that were home-built to factory ones & MOPED to the cycle that required crank pedals to get the moped rolling.

After all a scooter is really a scooter & a moped is a moped, while a sportbike is a sportbike & not a fast moving bike that was, at first, being listed in Mfg pamphlets as "Sport Class"---no kidding it was like that for around two years.

So any using "scooter" when referring to their m/c are still trying to SOUND like the older riders.

I will admit I tend to use some old lingo like "iron" meaning a m/c or "prang" meaning 'crash' that came from the late 40s & early 50s of the m/c world. Will admit so many of my words will be from the reading of manuals & books by the makers of British bikes (here I almost said "irons") so to me a mudguard is a mudguard which you call a fender still have you heard us Canadians when we say things like "Kawasaki & roof"? While in the days of hand gear change levers we did not say lever like Americans in the leever way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode