With The Right Stuff - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
ok... uhhh... how does that bullet AV hook up again...? and where do babies come from???

I quit. you're on your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks brah!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

how would i know if the camera that i just bought capable of using a external cam/lense.... u were sayin something about USB but kinda beating round the bush walkin in eggshells.... do you not have a site to reccomend???

clarify: by babies, i meant bullet cams... but instead steam blew outta ya ears

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
how would i know if the camera that i just bought capable of using a external cam/lense.... u were sayin something about USB but kinda beating round the bush walkin in eggshells.... do you not have a site to reccomend???

clarify: by babies, i meant bullet cams... but instead steam blew outta ya ears
I wasn't beating around the bush about USB plugs. They are designed to do only one of two things.

1) if the camera is a standalone (no external recording device required), then the usb port is used to download video from the internal memory cards in the camera.

2) if the camera is not a standalone, then the usb port is used to hook directly to your computer for live streaming.

If you are looking for a bullet cam to hook into an external source, then you probably aren't using a standalone camera. I'm almost willing to bet you don't plan on riding around with it hooked up to a laptop, either. That is why I didn't bother to explain about the USB ports. If they won't serve any purpose for you, then why explain, you know?

If the camcorder you bought is capable of using an external plug, then the manual that came with it will tell you. What you are looking for specifically is "A/V Input".

How a bullet camera hooks up: The bullet camera has two wires. One is power, the other is an AV cable. The power wire usually goes to a battery (9v, AA, or such), and the AV cable goes to your recording medium (Camcorder). It's that simple.

If you can't find the info you need about the inputs in the manual, then post the exact model of your camcorder, and I will do my best to find it for you.

By the way... yeah, the clarification was good. I read that and my thought was "well, if he is just going to be a smartass and not listen to anything, then screw him."

I'll dig some links up later, but eBay is usually the best place for bullet cams. $150> for 480 res and higher. You can't really beat that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

A while back i was actually thinking of buying a OQO, one of these, and a few bullets, and mount it all to the bike..... would be OVER KILL, cool as heck if it worked, but over kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
How a bullet camera hooks up: The bullet camera has two wires. One is power, the other is an AV cable. The power wire usually goes to a battery (9v, AA, or such), and the AV cable goes to your recording medium (Camcorder). It's that simple.
I dont think any of the Flash-mem cams i looked at had a AV in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
I'll dig some links up later, but eBay is usually the best place for bullet cams. $150> for 480 res and higher. You can't really beat that.
There has to be a provider, i mean bullets arn't passed down from generation to generation!!!

Im just mesing with the camera i just bought, once i get bored with it will be returned within the 30-day return policy.... its worth the restocking fee....

dispite its small size, there isnt much that I am able to do with it. The tank is the only spot for it. The seat cowl will get a big shot of my back end, the swingarm will get a foot load, cant mount near the engine b/c of the heat of a air-cooled V-twin, cant mount on top of the front wheel b/c it will be crushed when brakeing.... plus even IF/when on the tank (airbox 4 me) the wind screen is colored orange, so it looks bad anyway.... and the view angle is so narrow that the sensation of speed horrible....

a wider view angle = a better sense of speed....?
+ views closer to the ground...

Quote:
There has to be a provider, i mean bullets arn't passed down from generation to generation!!!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
A while back i was actually thinking of buying a OQO, one of these, and a few bullets, and mount it all to the bike..... would be OVER KILL, cool as heck if it worked, but over kill
If I were to go that route, I sure as hell wouldn't get the oqo. I'd go with the Asus that Snake was looking at. Check 'em out.

Quote:
I dont think any of the Flash-mem cams i looked at had a AV in...
Not typically.

Quote:
eBay. The golden rule in sales is: Buy in bulk, buy cheaper. That is how ebay works. people buy 100's and 1000's of them at 60% msrp, then raise the price to $20 lower than MSRP. We, as consumers, pay less. They, as sellers, make money. Everyone wins.

Not including scams, of course.

Quote:
Im just mesing with the camera i just bought, once i get bored with it will be returned within the 30-day return policy.... its worth the restocking fee....
low end consumer camcorders fit their own little niche. Everything is a tradeoff. If you want one feature, you have to sacrifice another. Thats the name of the game. But you are right... you couldn't use a bullet camera with that.

Quote:
dispite its small size, there isnt much that I am able to do with it. The tank is the only spot for it. The seat cowl will get a big shot of my back end, the swingarm will get a foot load, cant mount near the engine b/c of the heat of a air-cooled V-twin, cant mount on top of the front wheel b/c it will be crushed when brakeing.... plus even IF/when on the tank (airbox 4 me)
Position 1, Tank. Position 2, Seat cowl (rearward shot). Position 3, Passenger peg facing forward (you will probably need a post of some sort to connect the rear pegs. Otherwise, the peg itself will induce vibration due to only two solid connecting points. Picture how a tuning fork works. )

Quote:
the wind screen is colored orange, so it looks bad anyway.... and the view angle is so narrow that the sensation of speed horrible....
Color can be fixed easily in post. Get a program such as Ulead Videostudio. It is a 3 second job to return colors to normal. Higher end consumer camcorders (unfortunately not yours) also have an auto white balance which can be used to correct this prior to recording.

Quote:
a wider view angle = a better sense of speed....?
+ views closer to the ground...
Not always. Fisheye lenses .4 and lower will give you a horrible effect. The edges will appear to be moving much faster and be disproportionately sized, but they will not give you the desired effect. I usually suggest a .7 or .6 wide angle. If you get quality glass, it won't roll the edges and everything will stay in focus.

Most of the appearance of speed comes from your peripheral vision. In short, the objects that are actually passing you. If you were to place your hands to the side of your eyes while riding in a car so you couldn't see to the sides, it would, in effect, be doing the same thing as a camcorder. Camcorder lenses can only record a certain angle... usually about a 100-120 degree angle. The trick is to get as close to a 180 degree angle (straight out to the sides) as you can get WITHOUT bending the edges.

Remember... bending the edges is like folding your TV in half. It lets you see to the side, but it does NOT give you the perception of passing objects. It's like filming with your camera turned sideways.

If you want to check out some standalone cams for the added benefit of multiple cameras at one time for a reasonable price, you could do some reading about some on This thread. If memory serves me correctly, those cams were $149 a pop. You wouldn't need another recording medium for these... they use SD cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode