front tire recomendation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Question front tire recomendation

I have probably 500 miles (havnt kept count) on my rear tire a dunlop D208ZR

Now it seems like I need a front tire b/c when having both hands off the barz, I can get realy bad headshake if I let it go too far

Im thinking of getting a _______ front tire:
- dunlop Qualifiers
- metzeler m3
- pirelli diablo corsa
- pirelli diablo strada

I have a phobia of gravel, my first accident was b/c of gravel, so I also need confidence in a tire that states good protection against gravel

Appreciate it,

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-25-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM

WTF? There are no tires that do well on gravel unless you are talking about dirt tires, which will do aweful on the street. You can go to an enduro, or adventure tire, but again, it will suck on pavement.
In case you havent noticed, gravel is made from little rocks, that give and slide when you run over them. What exactly is your tire supposed to do to help you, that does not involve big knobs?

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
WTF? There are no tires that do well on gravel unless you are talking about dirt tires, which will do aweful on the street. You can go to an enduro, or adventure tire, but again, it will suck on pavement.
In case you havent noticed, gravel is made from little rocks, that give and slide when you run over them. What exactly is your tire supposed to do to help you, that does not involve big knobs?
Harsh Vash! but damn funny.

If you already have a Dunlop rear tire (and plan on keeping it), you should stick with a Dunlop brand front.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Use your common sense bash dont tell me you another prick, I thought you were better than that

Im not going dirt riding. But on tires, there are these things called grooves, and grooves are good to divert water to allow traction. Also, grooves are helpful with gravel. How this works, when turning over gravel the tire slips. As the tire slips, the grooves in the tire trap some of that gravel within, and also help prevent the gravel from getting to the next contact patch.
(I can explain this more dude, but use your common sense and that engineering degree)

bash's new word of the day class, helpful, something that he can be more of
================
possible comebacks:

"Im a fagget, and Im sorry for wasting you time james."....

pictures of some unusuable tires with big tread

"thats a good theory, but your wrong"....
"you can suckit, along with your plunger theory," ochoa

"I lied on my resume, hehe, im no engineer"....

"I have guns and im gonna kill you" ....
"your just a pussy with a gun in your hand," ochoa
================
there's probably going to be a rant from bash to get up his satisfaction-o-meter to eye level,
Sure you have every right too, eg. bill of rights - freedom of speech, right to petition, pursuit of happyness . . .
i'll try to ignor and get the thread back up to par and just play it by ear
================
================
very sorry y'all,

I have probably 500 miles (havn't kept count) on my rear tire a dunlop D208ZR

Now it seems like I need a front tire b/c when having both hands off the barz, I can get realy bad headshake if I let it go too far

Im thinking of getting a _______ front tire:
- dunlop Qualifiers
- metzeler m3
- pirelli diablo corsa
- pirelli diablo strada
- dunlop D207

I have a phobia of gravel, my first accident was b/c of gravel.
So I also need confidence in a tire that can be helpful against gravel, that also doesnt sacrifice too much grip in the balance

PS: a internet moto supplier has "up to 30%" savings on Pirelli's

Appreciate it,

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-25-2008 at 06:14 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
can i choose none of the above (1st post).

i choose michelin pp 2ct.

and like said above, nothing works in gravel man. i hate gravel, ill even keep both feet out while riding slow (5-10mph) in case something wants to get squirely.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 AM

i would say put a set of the M3's and save the dunlop as an emergancy back up tire, personaly i would never put a dunlop d208 on anything, my bike had them when i bought it a couple years ago and probly the worst tire i have ever rode on poor warm up time and after alot of hard riding they would start loosing traction.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Are you sure the head shake is from the front tire? That's the root issue you're trying to solve, right? If there's still tread life on the tire, don't change it! First see if its balanced. Let us know if that's fine or done and if its still headshaking you have other areas to check.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 AM

Alright, in order for grooves to work in gravel it has to be really fine gravel, almost sand like, so that it acts like a fluid. Most gravel on the roads is the larger chunk kind, the sort of rocks that are too big to go in any groove of any street tire out there. The only hope there is to extend a knob past it, and hope the knob hits some solid ground. You will literally have better luck finding tires that work on oil. I'm sorry if I sound like a dick, but your only hope is to stay the hell away from gravel. Gravel=bad=death, just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

I'm with demon on the 2ct tires, they are freaking awesome. However, I think the dual compound is much more useful on the rear tire than it is on the front, so I would recomment replacing both, that will also get your profiles to match, and avoid any chance of instability. Save your rear as a spare for a time when you get a nail in it or something.

Incidentally, I have some friends that live out on a ranch in the middle of BFE, the only way to get out there is to go down some gravel roads. The very first time I went, I took the bike. As far as gravel roads go, those are some of the better ones, they are nice and level, no holes and such. Still everytime I exceeded 50mph the bike got very squirly and would freak out and fishtail in a streight line, feeling like its about to high side for no good reason. Kind of scary.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRR View Post
can i choose none of the above (1st post).

i choose michelin pp 2ct.

and like said above, nothing works in gravel man. i hate gravel, ill even keep both feet out while riding slow (5-10mph) in case something wants to get squirely.
+100 for the 2CT's. Try it out on the front, and you'll probably swap that Dunlop in the rear in no time.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

there is still lots of sidewall-edge,
One thing that you cannot see b/c there is no depth perception, is that the tire is more beefy on the right side, but you can probably tell that, and the big-side center-line chicken strips are like a 2mm deep at most

so the tire can be balanced to get rid of the headshake, but better to just discard

I got a wet rag and whiped the tire; so that the tread can stand out

=======
3 for - albinotireman pp 2ct
1 for - metzler M3
=========
1. the pirelli strada&corsa are the same tread, but different compound? who's got what type compound?
2. why is it so bad to have to different tires on a bike?
3. And one last thing, whats the ball-park estamate for a front tire?
==========
since a moto-supplier web site has perelli on sale, I think im going to get a pirelli front tire, going to do some tire research . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1674.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	30041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	30042  

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-26-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode