front tire recomendation - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

to answer my #1 question about corsaIII vs strada,

strada is sport-tourer~ which has deeper tread, harder compound
corsaIII is supersport~ which has 3-zone compound . . . and more propaganda & hot air . . .basically a good tire
~~~~~~~~~
#2 why is it so bad to have to different tires on a bike?
Usually you wear out two rear tires for every front tire. So in the begining of this 2:1 ratio process, your tires' profiles match. But now you have to change your rear b/c its dead. So you have a brand new rear tire, and a half-baked front tire. So it doesnt matter if they are the same tire, b/c they have different profiles no matter what.

I am 500-ish miles short of replacing both tires, I can see how having two different tires can upset the bike, but the unbalence is so minute at my skill, that its doesnt matter

~~ in my opinion
=======================
=======================
I can get the CorsaIII front tire for $114.00, is that average?

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-26-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Yes your front tyre is woren out. So the bike will wobble even on paved road if you remove your hands. Good possibility you have not checked your tyre pressure daily & been riding around with front, to possibly rear, tyre(s) to low on air pressure.

Vash is corret when on gravel the bike handlebars will want to wander, which is TYPICAL when on gravel. So many of us LEARNED to ride on gravel, cinder, or dirt roads more often then paved road. You just let the steering head wobble a bit AND NOT FIGHT IT (mind you sportbikes are the pits for riding on gravel, for HD, dual purpose, to many cruisers & some touring bikes are more suited to gravel)--------that was part of riding, PLUS you never touched the front brakes-----only the rear

If you note most of the wear is no the center & some to the left that is because you are not putting a LOT of miles on the twisties so the central tyre tread wear PLUS the crown of our roads is at the center SO the bike is sort of leaned a hair to the right. Now if you had been in the UK with left had roads then the wear would have been the opposit.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-26-2008 at 01:19 PM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM

The corsa uses a road racing compound, intended for both road and track. Its relativly grippy and fast to warm up. the strada is a highway sport touring tire its nowhere near as grippy, and will take much longer to warm up.

The reason to stick with the same brand is that different manufacturers use different tire profiles. Most are some form of three tangent arcs that produce a bigger contact patch when leaned than you have while going streight. Still anything from damn near rectangular, to round to almost triangular is out there. The tires are designed to work together, and when the profiles dont match, it could lead to instabilities and headshakes.

Front tires run between $120-$160 if you are willing to mount one yourself. Check out ronayers.com for a good price.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

When im talking about gravel, im not talking about pure gravel arcadium roads, although when going to lake austin (or is it lake travis, idk, just lake-front in general)its pretty much pure gravel arcadium, and I dont exceed 15mph, and when braking definetely use rear brake.
I got off subject, when im talking about gravel im talking about common road soot, wether it be grains of sand or small pebbles, something that you dont want in your way while going fast

Mainly one the roads I ride, particularly the mansion road I talk about, has few big pieces of gravel, but mainly just sand. I dont even know where it comes from, its like the mansion owners just spill sand all over the road, just to pick a few riders off one by one, idk.

I was on this road taking a right, when right at the apex was a sand, the front slipped, I SCREAMED!! and prepared to low-slide off the cliff, the front tire gained traction very quickly somehow, and the bike did a shaky dance very like a dog when shaking water off itsself (head~~>tail), and I was right on the edge of the opposite lane in the end.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Therere isnt a good solution for gravel, aside from learning to ride with it less than optimum traction and learning to handle a sliding bike.
As for difference between the brands, its just a matter of luck. Most of the time its just fine, sometimes its very noticable, and makes the bike useless. Just depends.

Btw, whats with the answering your own questions in your own posts? It makes you seem schitzo.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Talking

ha, im no schitzo, but my imaginary friends think I have serious mental problems

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-26-2008 at 04:19 PM.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
go get a new front tire!!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

just a recap/update

i purchased the CorsaIII front tire 2day ago. . . plan to be a DIY-ier: borrow a friends front lift and change out

"Over" , chi-cerrrrrrr(radio static)

=================
I think this chick wants my nutz, she's single and ready to ride, should i go for it?
just kidding . . . . . . But realy, should i go for it? lol
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ASDFKFKAKKF.bmp (84.7 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-28-2008 at 07:20 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
blah blah blah..
mansion street at lake travis
dude, I know EXACTLY where you're talking about, I grew up there on lake travis! (right next to the Oasis bar & grill). I say go for it! Make sure you get that tire balanced and not just mounted!

Hes answering his own questions because he wants answers ASAP (hes making a point)

stupid kids, dont fall off the mountain! dont kill yourself!

GL!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
dude, I know EXACTLY where you're talking about, I grew up there on lake travis! (right next to the Oasis bar & grill). I say go for it! Make sure you get that tire balanced and not just mounted!
isnt the tire blanced when brand new?

Quote:
Hes answering his own questions because he wants answers ASAP (hes making a point)
kinda . . . but my imaginary friend answerd before I did

Quote:
stupid kids, dont fall off the mountain! dont kill yourself!GL!
well if stupid kids dont fall, im very smart, graduated HS in 3years, what the hell!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode