Yamaha FZ6;
Honda CBR600RR; and
Suzuki SV650SF.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 AM

If you're a brand new rider- the Suzuki SV-650.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Please don't assume I'm a new rider. Which would you choose between the following two, and why?

Yamaha FZ6; and
Suzuki SV650SF.

Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 PM

Ok, well if it were ME I would still choose the SV. Why? Because I'm considering getting more involved with track days and the SV would be a good tool for that job- there are a lot of them on the track and they enjoy a lot of support in the aftermarket parts/performance arena. Furthermore, the SV has a fairly broad, usable torque curve, which suits my riding style well.

In contrast the FZ-6 has a fairly peaky powerband and does not enjoy the aftermarket support the SV has.

So, that is why *I* would choose the SV. Notice how this probably has nothing at all to do with why *YOU* might choose any one of these bikes over the other?

If you really want a worthwhile answer, perhaps you should rephrase your question to include more information. Such as:
What is your experience level? What will the bike be used for? (commuting, primarily recreational, or as a primary source of transportation) Do you plan on doing any track riding with it? Any long distance trips? Primarily ride solo, or will there be a spouse/significant other to go along sometimes? What's your height/weight- is comfort important to you? etc..............

The answers you get are only as good as the questions you ask.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm 6'2" tall, weighing around 160 lbs. This bike would mainly be used for city travel, with occasional highway use (perhaps some track time). I may have a passenger on occasion.

I'm not an expert rider. I got into the game recently and am being brought up to speed on a Kawasaki EX250. I anticipate outgrowing the EX250 in six months.

Does the FZ6 have any advantages over the SV650S?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Ok, well if it were ME I would still choose the SV. Why? Because I'm considering getting more involved with track days and the SV would be a good tool for that job- there are a lot of them on the track and they enjoy a lot of support in the aftermarket parts/performance arena. Furthermore, the SV has a fairly broad, usable torque curve, which suits my riding style well.

In contrast the FZ-6 has a fairly peaky powerband and does not enjoy the aftermarket support the SV has.

So, that is why *I* would choose the SV. Notice how this probably has nothing at all to do with why *YOU* might choose any one of these bikes over the other?

If you really want a worthwhile answer, perhaps you should rephrase your question to include more information. Such as:
What is your experience level? What will the bike be used for? (commuting, primarily recreational, or as a primary source of transportation) Do you plan on doing any track riding with it? Any long distance trips? Primarily ride solo, or will there be a spouse/significant other to go along sometimes? What's your height/weight- is comfort important to you? etc..............

The answers you get are only as good as the questions you ask.
+1

Dont be a dick and you will get better answers. Sorry alireza77 your response to zx's question rubbbed me the wrong way.

but yes I would also recommend the SV650. for pretty much the same reasons as zx mentioned. Have you sat on both bikes? I find I cant determine whether or not i like a bike unless i give it a good sit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Meat_Shield, can you explain how I was being "a dick" so I can avoid making a future mistake?

With regards to your suggestion, i.e., sit on the bike, I have sat on both to no avail -- they both feel fine.

Everyone I've talked to so far has suggested the SV650S.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Yes, your initial response did rub me the wrong way as well. But I know that tone isn't always what it seems in writing vs in person.

Anyway, NOW you've given me something to work with.

Actually for the purposes you list- city use, highway riding, and some two-up trips, the FZ-6 might actually be a good choice. Especially considering your tall/lean dimensions. This is because the FZ-6 is the best sport-tourer of the bikes you listed. It is ergonomically more roomy than the other bikes, has a more upright seating position, a tubular handlebar mounted above the triple clamps- as opposed to the lower mounted clip-ons of all the other bikes. Bottom line, for somebody 6 foot 2, it's gonna let you stretch out a lot more than the comparitively hunched over position of the other bikes. Although not a race-replica, the FZ-6 would certainly be up to running some laps on track days too.

In a similar vein, you might also want to consider the Kawasaki Ninja 650R for all of the same reasons I've listed for the FZ-6.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the bikes you've listed. They're all really good and each of them has their own set of strengths. You've just got to match those strengths to your priorities.

As MeatShield suggested, you should really sit on each of the bikes you're interested in and see for yourself. If possible, a demo ride would be a great help in evaluating your choices.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Heck... it was probably the slight air of arrogance, in the "please don't assume I'm a new rider" reply.

That being said, zxrider and meat_shield have offered sound advice, and I stand by it fully. However, in support of the SV I'd offer that it has a torquey motor, and may fit the power delivery concerns better than any other 600 class bike. But I'd also offer that the Yamaha does have really good ergos for your size, and more long term applicability (in that you can use it on the street and grow with it, as well as some track).

And all tone issues aside, you've gotten some of the best answers possible. Just in the future, please ask questions providing more specifics. These folks here will always try to help.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to come off arrogant. I just asked my friend about my second post and she agrees with you all, namely that it came off abrupt.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode