Am I getting hosed? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Angry Am I getting hosed?

Five months ago I purchased a 97 Tl1000. Recently I have had a stalling problem so I sent the bike in. The service writer calls me and says that I now need a throttle body sync, a tank flush, fork rings, and a new front brake. They say this is my fault because I have only ridden the bike 100 miles since I purchased it. It seems to me that if the dealership went through the bike well, that they would have picked up on a throttle body issue, a leaky fork and a brake issue. I know for a fact that they had this bike for at least months on the showroom before I bought it. If there any bike mechanics out there, I need some advice. Is it realistic that when I bought it, these things were in fine working order, and then five months later I should have these issues???? Help me out guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 AM

Those things they want to replace, very well could be bad. BUT their excuse is one of the largest piles of horse shit I've heard. Ask them this "When winter roles around and my bike is sitting for close to 5 months, will I have to replace all these things again?"

Your bike is 10 years old, all the things they listed are things that seem somewhat understandable for a bike that old. However, the tank flush and the new brake sound odd to me. You should be able to look inside you tank to see what kind varnish or rust is in it. I'm not too sure about the brake, do they want to replace the whole thing, rebuild it or what exactly do they want to do? If they are only going to rebuild the brake, I don't see that as a bad thing.

If you don't feel like you're getting a good deal take your bike to another mechanic.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 PM

That is a total crock. My bike routinely sits for a 5 month period with less than 100 miles of riding over the winter. Yet, every spring it fires right up without a problem and everything is just as it was when I put it away.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Yeah, but that's 'cause it's a Kawi.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM

its fuel injected ? a 97 ? take the tank off and flush it yourself, then put your new front brake pads on, then take your wife out with the 500 dollars you just saved
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE

So, the dealership called me back finally to tell me they were going to cover everything except the fork seal. So they did a throttle body sync and brake service at no charge. The only problem, my bike still has the stalling problem.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM

roflmao. So they gave you a 90% discount on NOT fixing the problem?

Yeah, I'd say you are getting hosed... There is a reason I do all my own work...

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
What does it do? I just sold my '99 TL1000R 2 months ago, so I have experience with the bike.

Give me scenario(s)

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

what she does.....

If you click on my name and go to forums I subscribe to, click on the "Stalling problem" to see what everyone says.

Here's the deal:

When I start up my bike, it starts up fine, with the choke on. I take the choke off, the temperature gauge shoots up to around 230 degrees, it runs rough and then dies. It will start back up, and do it all over again. I put a new battery in it, they said they have synced the throttle body, flushed the tank, and they said the carbs don't need to be cleaned. Know they say that they don't know what the problem is, and need to go through the bike some more. So everyone invite your friends to this forum and lets get some good advice in here!

The dealership working on the bike is a Suzuki dealer who actually has a decent reputation for decent service.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
WOW, now that is a crazy scenario.

My first thought is rectifier, but that would not make your temp guage shoot up. As far as shooting up to 230, how long does that take? If it is only a few seconds to a minute from a cold start then you have some electrical/sensor issues.

I will check out the thread and see if I may be able to lend some more advice.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode