Am I getting hosed? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

IT only takes around a minute to get up that high. I spoke to the dealership again today, and they still have no clue what the problem is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
are you getting hosed?

Dude,
I have a 97 TL1000S ,and unless they did the ECU update it may never be right...Even if they do it the TL was not truly a "round town" bike..least mine isn't .I got mine new it 97. Then they had a "customer satisfaction" program....not oficially a "recall" but they replaced the bikes ECU with a unit that sort of "de-tuned" the bike....you couldn't really tell it til it went on a dyno.
First off if it had sat with fuel in it the fuel could have deteriorated enough that the bike would stmble or cough or cut off. Mine ran like it had hades behind it. Do you have any knowledge as to whether or not it may have been attached to a Yoshimura tuning box? These biikes tend to run rich...not good around town...not so bad out in the back woods .
When ever I service mine and its a buggar to service, the front plug comes out after the radiator comes off...Then the valve adj.,
then and unless you are a good tech get someone else to do this....Then sync throttle bodies and set the TPS {throttle position sensor} dont feel bad all newer bikes are equipped with the same things....a check of the air filter is good and there are several catch basins under the air intakes one ooon each side...they can hold dirt.
The fuel filter ...well its in the fuel tank and isn't so terribly hard to change but prolly should be.....so a synopsis for you

1.verify newer ECU....
2. was it tuned with a Yosh box?
3. Does it have headers?
4. Air filler
5.Fuel filllter
6.plugs standard ngk work best in the bike....avoid ND get CR9EK

If the shop is on their game they should be able to get you running good....and are you getting hosed ...depends on how much you paid for it and what kind of shape its in....NADA is prolly around 3k-3300.
Mine was soorted out by a really good tech and I have logged many miles having a bllast all the way....TWINS RULE
Good luck
Rodm850g

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

My bike ended up being in the shop for six weeks. First they did a throttle body sync, and still couldn't find the problem. They did a tank flush and that seemed to help. Then they did the tank recall where they replaced the tank and the seal on the bottom of the tank, which I guess was really the problem. The bike runs like a champ now, but there wasn't much season left over. It was my first season and didn't get a chance to get out much. After I ventured out of parking lots finally, I can somewhat open up my baby and almost fall off the back of the seat.

Thanks to this site because I got a lot of great advice which allowed me to ask proper questions and not get fed a bunch of bullshit. Twins do rule. Now I just have to get used to the sore wrists.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
Rookie1KRiders TL

Rider,
You may have lost this season but it will be warm again{we hope}. The TL is a worthy beast to pilot...Now that you have it running well...I really wouldn't worry about a lot more preformance....as it sounds as if this is a first bike for you....
You prolly got more than enough to get-r-done as they say.
I would suggest you take look at the suspension settings and try to get the static sag set and work out that before going other routes...mabey even brakes,some braided lines from Goodriidge and pads if needed from EBC, HHs.
Before I did anything to my TL I went with brakes as I am a large fellow. Then we set about to get the most out of the bikes suspension. It has the Showa USD forks and they have a goodly amoount of adjustment. I got up wiith the folks from Race Tech.com there they have reccomendations and availability of items to retrofit your front end. The rear shock has adjustments but it is near futile to get lots of adjustmennts to really tailor the ride....I went with an Ohlins shockand it made a big difference. The real key to this thing is to get it to handle then go fast....dont mater how fast it is if it dont handle ...you get the drift Good Luck
Rodm8500g

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to superd
Question Getting Hosed

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
That is a total crock. My bike routinely sits for a 5 month period with less than 100 miles of riding over the winter. Yet, every spring it fires right up without a problem and everything is just as it was when I put it away.
Same here. My bike is over five years old. All that I ever do is add a fuel treatment, top off the tank, and bring the battery inside the house. A few months later, it fires up just like new (8000 total miles).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode