Anti-spam delays - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Anti-spam delays

Ya know that dreaded msg "the administrator said you cant make more then one post in a minute" or something like that. I understand why they are there, but can we drop it to something like 15 or 30 seconds? it gets really annoying for those of us with descent typing speeds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Some days are like this.

We could drop it, but then we would have an even bigger spam problem than we currently do.

Last time I checked, I think the posting limit was one per 30 seconds. That's really not so bad.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 AM

its bad enough so I still spend half the day twittling my thumbs when Vash and I get in heated discussions about clocks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

The private msg 60 sec delay is the one that really gets me.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:13 AM

Re: Anti-spam delays

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Ya know that dreaded msg "the administrator said you cant make more then one post in a minute" or something like that. I understand why they are there, but can we drop it to something like 15 or 30 seconds? it gets really annoying for those of us with descent typing speeds.
My apologies ahead of time if you are offended by this, but...have you concidered spending that extra time on spell checking what you had typed so quickly? A quick visit to www.webster.com can help with some of the ambiguous spellings, i.e. descent vs. decent, loose vs. lose, moot vs. mute? Some of the things I see typed up in a hurry, on the Internet and at work, make me wonder why so many people in this country are so bent on having immigrants learn English, when they themselves don't know it very well.

Anyway, I don't mean to be pissing in your Wheaties here, I probably need to start my own thread under Off-Topic/Anal, where I can share my displeasure of online grammar with other Spelling and Grammar Nazis. Beter yet, that thread could be used to proactively educate the forum citizens of commonly misused words and phrases...

Yeah, I'll do that, as soon as I get over my procrasitination...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Veek:
Thanks, now my breakfast tastes like piss. Seriously most of my misspelles are actually misstypes. With the exception of some words, that I havent the slightest idea how to spell. So I add (sp?). I'm an extremly impatient person, and dont care much for formalities, so long as the point is getting across. I know its a bad habit, but I got plenty to break before I get to that one.

Speeding for one....

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Veek:
Thanks, now my breakfast tastes like piss. Seriously most of my misspelles are actually misstypes. With the exception of some words, that I havent the slightest idea how to spell. So I add (sp?). I'm an extremly impatient person, and dont care much for formalities, so long as the point is getting across. I know its a bad habit, but I got plenty to break before I get to that one.

Speeding for one....
I think that typos would be easy to fix if the forum software had spell checking, like some others do. But, I also understand that migrating a forum to new software would be a lot of work and probably more trouble than it is worth. I also don't think it is as bif of a deal when people mistype or misspell on informal online forums.

I do get annoyed when I see word misuse in my work emails, where spell checking is available, and most people have higher education. I get especially upset when I see phrases like 'loose funding' or 'mute point'. My boss, who only types with her index fingers, is especially prone to producing gems of this sort. I think that grammatically flawed formal correspondence damages the author's credibility in the eyes of its recepients.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by veektor
I also don't think it is as bif of a deal when people mistype or misspell on informal online forums.

<snip>I think that grammatically flawed formal correspondence damages the author's credibility in the eyes of its recepients.
+1

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode