Using Diesel oil in your bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Using Diesel oil in your bike

I understand that a few bikers are using diesel oil in their bikes successfully.
Just a heads up on using diesel oil in your bikes. Soon the only diesel oil that you can purchase will have the spec CJ-4 on it. This is the new spec for 07 diesels with the new emission equipment called particulate filters for the exhaust. This has a totally different additive package that has not been used up to this point and may not work as well with wet clutches as the older version diesel oils that some of you have been using. If you know of anyone using this new oil let us know how it is working out for them.

We offer special prices and all products will be shipped from your closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, email;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or call 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil test data

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Strength and Honor

Bummer, I was so happy with my Rotella

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Given the source, and the obscure nature of the warning, excuse me if I'm skeptical

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Strength and Honor

Well, the change to CJ-4 is verifiable and so just waiting for someone to post their findings who I'd recognize as a long-time poster at one of any number of forums will be reasonably good enough for me. Time will tell.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Strength and Honor

Vash, the Rotella note in Wikipedia's reassuring
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_R...torcycle_usage

Thanks for being the doubter and making me look all that s*&# up

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM

no prob, When I hear an obvious sales guy try to tell me something while pretending not to sell me anything, but just looking out for my best interest because we are such good buds, alarm bells go off.

There is a russian saying, that badly translates to "When you feel your ass being kissed, do not relax. The saliva could be applied for lubrication purposes".

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM

Add me to the list of skeptics. In fact, I've always read that friction modifiers in energy conserving oils may cause clutches to slip, but I've never read of anyone who tried it and had a clutch slip. To me it seems that since the clutch is already bathed in a substance that is slippery enough to allow two metallic surface to rub together at high speeds (i.e. oil, piston, cylinder) reducing the friction a little bit more by changing from standard to energy conserving oil is not going to make any difference. I suppose with enough information - clutch spring rates, coefficients of friction, surface areas - we could calculate whether the difference would be enough to make a clutch slip. My guess is no, but I haven't become curious enough to experiment with my own bike. Anyone out there willing to go for it in the interest of science? Vash? I'll buy the oil.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm not worried about the price of oil as much as I worry about the price of a new clutch if I have to replace it. But chances are I wont, also I might have take it out and bathe it in some solvent.

So sure, I'll put my poor abused bike to one more expiriment. What oil is most likely to cause my clutch to slip? And how can we best determine how much the clutch is slipping?

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I'm not worried about the price of oil as much as I worry about the price of a new clutch if I have to replace it. But chances are I wont, also I might have take it out and bathe it in some solvent.

So sure, I'll put my poor abused bike to one more expiriment. What oil is most likely to cause my clutch to slip? And how can we best determine how much the clutch is slipping?
My guess is some 5w20 with the starburst seal. It's going to be the thinnest at temp, right? I've never seen an energy conserving oil in a common motorcycle weight though. Most are 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30. My manual specifies 10-20w40-50. Will you see engine issues before clutch issues using a lighter-weight oil? Unless you find a starburst-seal oil in a weight you would actually use in your bike, it seems to be a moot point.

However, if you did carry out the test, I would recommend running the bike on a dyno with your usual oil to establish a rpm vs. speed baseline. Then change the oil and run the same routine to see if the rpm vs. speed differs anywhere. If the clutch is slipping you'll see a lower or erratic speed at any rpm where there is enough torque to overcome the clutch friction. Unless you're now working for an oil company trying to sell a new oil, it's probably not worth your time to even know.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 PM

I meant a test that does not require the use of a dyno. Unless someone else wants to pay for it.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode