Using Diesel oil in your bike - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelwa1 View Post
Be wary of using some automotive oils as there are a few that contain Moly. IIRC, there are warnings in the Honda owner's manuals about using engine oils with Moly as it can cause the wet clutch to wear prematurely. Trust me, it has happened plenty of times, not just on Gixxer,com, but with many many people with several different brands of M/C. Sometimes the best oil really is an OEM motorcycle oil, synthetic or dyno. IMO, price be damned.

Do your oil research properly, and you'll come out ahead.

I've done well with Royal Purple Max-cycle and a K & N filter on my ZRX.

Here is the best INDEPENDENT oil analysis research done outside of a oil manufacturer/retailer grasp. It's for aircooled Porsche and Volkswagen engines, but many of the areas covered apply to motorcycles as well. Charles of L.N. Engineering can even do an oil analysis for your personal use motorcycle/car.
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Moly designed properly for it's specific application does not always cause clutch problems if it meets the wet clutch specs. For example Honda's motorcycle oils do contain moly, as well as other motorcycel oils. Go figure.
george
ADG

We offer special prices and all products will be shipped from your closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, email;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or call 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil test data

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Good stuff... I use Rotella 15w40 no problems I understand an read about the CJ-4 and heard guys using it with no problems also

The Truth!!
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaASE View Post
Good stuff... I use Rotella 15w40 no problems I understand an read about the CJ-4 and heard guys using it with no problems also
Take a look at some post on the www.600rr.net site. There is two reports of clutch problems using the new diesel oils, but that doesn't mean anything yet as they may have had worn clutches getting ready to go.
george
ADG

We offer special prices and all products will be shipped from your closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to
, email;
or call 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil test data

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
Take a look at some post on the www.600rr.net site. There is two reports of clutch problems using the new diesel oils, but that doesn't mean anything yet as they may have had worn clutches getting ready to go.
george
ADG
Links? I failed to find the posts you mentioned. Anecdotal information should be taken with a very large grain of salt. I'm curious to know how they determined that the clutch was slipping.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeney View Post
Links? I failed to find the posts you mentioned. Anecdotal information should be taken with a very large grain of salt. I'm curious to know how they determined that the clutch was slipping.
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know when their clutch is slipping. If they don't notice it at first they will certainly know it in time when they can't get off the line. As far as the diesel oil and clutch slipping issues that I alluded to when I get more time I will find the post and will give you the link.
George
ADG

, email;
or call 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil test data

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Diesel oil in bikes

Hi,
Very few riders use diesel in their bikes to make the bike perform good and show the excellence in the race and the diesel provides the bike with very well lubrication and pick up.
================================================== =
robin

Last edited by kanwisch; 08-18-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Advertisement removed
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:53 PM

wtf?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Vash,
Either Robin knows just enough English to order a cup of coffie or he knows even less about motor oils and motorcycles. He might also be pulling our leg by writing something that makes absolutely no sense. It is kind of funny.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
oil

Guys,
Can't we beat this tired thread to death again? To mrAmsoil NOT all ofHonda oils contail the moly the Do offer one without....Having run Ams oil myself its no better than the mtorcycle specific oils out there and if a person is councious enough about their bikes to change he oil more frequently conventional is no worse than anythin else out there....the additive concerning motorcycle specific oils I believe was phosporus....Further if one is concerned there are labsthat wil analyse your oil to find out what type of wear your motor is incurring.....Also if you take out your motorcycle owner manual and check what oil is reccomended for temperature and viscosity index for your temps ost oild will do whether 10-30,10-40,20-50.....I do know from personal use of the mobil 1 exclusively in a 1979 GS850G from 1983 to date.....it runs cooler...not that in the summer its a cool motor to ride....and when I do a valve adjustment and its done yearly....I seldome have to change out valve shims and the internals under the valve covers look fresh and almost without wear.....this bike gets a change every 6 months whether it needs it or not......and still gets about 50 mpg to this day and is within 10% of OEM compression still....The key whether you use or what you use is the interval do it when it needs it and they will last...and as an aside this bike has never shown any clutch slip over the many years....
Rod

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

I think I'll take this one away from George as 90% of my business is Motorcycle.

Yes, Honda offers the oil both ways, with and without Moly. As stated Moly can be used in a Motorcycle oil.

The talk here is about Diesel oils and there have been some concerns as Diesel oils that have been reformulated. You cannot run the same oil made in 2006 in a 2007 and newer diesel. Period... There are several differences.

IF.... IF the oil carries an SG/SH Rating, it is safe to use in your bike.. Now, try and find an SG/SH Rated oil for an Gas or Diesel engine.

The API Ratings for oils Do Not Automatically Supercede. Meaning that if your bike calls for an SG/SH oil, SL or SM is not OK.. UNLESS it carries the SG/SH...

As far as ZDDP... Mobil 1 still has a higher amount than many oils but the Automotive M-1 EP is no longer a PAO based synthetic. Gas Chromatograph shows it is now a Hydro-Cracked oil.

Also, there are a building number of cases where they may or may not have a clutch problem with M-1 Auto, but in many cases, the problem arises when going to another brand oil. Clutch slippage and/or clutch chatter. Now, M-1 Racing 4T is a very good oil and is different than any of the M-1 Auto oils.

I always say:

Regardless of Brand, Synthetic or Petroleum, I always recommend a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO Rating of MA, better yet, MA 2, but Never MB.

Reasonable results can be had with a good petroleum oil and a good filter.. Superior results can be had using a Premium Synthetic and a Premium Filter.

If anyone tells you that there is No difference between an Auto/Diesel oil and a Motorcycle Specific oil, they have been greatly misinformed.

Bob

, email;
or call 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil test data

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode