Using Diesel oil in your bike - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Strength and Honor

keeney, I know I've read of someone who had experienced clutch slip with auto oil. It might have been on gixxer.com since it was very long ago and that was where I mainly did my early reading (other than here, of course). That is the only first-hand experience I'd read about, however, and its been a long while.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 AM

vash if you are willing to use your bike to do the tests you might want to contact the amsoil rep and see if they would help with contrubuting for the dyno tests and even contrubuting the different oil, it would be in there best interest.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 AM

it would be in their best interest only if the clutch does slip (incidentally, I've had a clutch slip when I used an oil additive once), otherwise it just goes to prove that there is no good reason to pay $14/quart, or whatever they are charging now. Besides if I'm diong PR for a company, I want something in return. They got enough money to torture test bikes if they wanted to, apparently using internet bots is a more effective ways of advertising.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
keeney, I know I've read of someone who had experienced clutch slip with auto oil. It might have been on gixxer.com since it was very long ago and that was where I mainly did my early reading (other than here, of course). That is the only first-hand experience I'd read about, however, and its been a long while.
Probably already a bad clutch from wheelies on gixxer.com. There's still the issue that energy conserving oils are not the correct weight for bikes, so I wonder if it was just auto oil or energy conserving also. I realized yesterday during this discussion that all the energy conserving oils are in the 5w20 - 10w30 range, while all the motorcycle oils sold by the big 4 are in the 10w40 - 20w50 range, so if someone had a problem, aren't they using the wrong oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
it would be in their best interest only if the clutch does slip (incidentally, I've had a clutch slip when I used an oil additive once), otherwise it just goes to prove that there is no good reason to pay $14/quart, or whatever they are charging now. Besides if I'm diong PR for a company, I want something in return. They got enough money to torture test bikes if they wanted to, apparently using internet bots is a more effective ways of advertising.
What was the additive? My guess is that you'll never hear from any oil company. Hype is cheaper than proof.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 AM

Don't really remember, it was in my early days. It was one of those miracle save your engine additives.

However I'm almost certain I've seen energy conserving 10-40 oils

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:10 AM

Diesel oil

I guess ijust have to stock up on my shell rotella $8.88 a gallon at wally world the have a synthetic for about $19 Bucks a gallon but my old katanas and ninjas like the Regular Dino rotella .

U.S. Navy Seabees
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

40 weight oils will not pass the test for the energy conserving certification because of viscosity drag. Friction modifiers are used in most oils. Moly is one of the most common and is used in high concentrations in Honda's motorcycle oil. Friction modifiers designed properly for specific applications can be used very successfully with wet clutches. The friction modifiers used in diesel oils apparently work fine as evidenced by many on this site. The point I was making about the new diesel oils for 2007 and beyond is this new CJ-4 diesel oil has a totally new additive package so the jury is still out on how it will affect wet clutches. Also if you get Shell Rotella T at a good price do it soon as most oil companies are now charging an extra energy sur charge plus a general price increase to customers like Wally world and it will surely be passed on to the consumer.

george
ADG

We offer special prices and all products will be shipped from your closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to
, email;
or call 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil test data

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Be wary of using some automotive oils as there are a few that contain Moly. IIRC, there are warnings in the Honda owner's manuals about using engine oils with Moly as it can cause the wet clutch to wear prematurely. Trust me, it has happened plenty of times, not just on Gixxer,com, but with many many people with several different brands of M/C. Sometimes the best oil really is an OEM motorcycle oil, synthetic or dyno. IMO, price be damned.

Do your oil research properly, and you'll come out ahead.

I've done well with Royal Purple Max-cycle and a K & N filter on my ZRX.

Here is the best INDEPENDENT oil analysis research done outside of a oil manufacturer/retailer grasp. It's for aircooled Porsche and Volkswagen engines, but many of the areas covered apply to motorcycles as well. Charles of L.N. Engineering can even do an oil analysis for your personal use motorcycle/car.
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Last edited by 18496; 04-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM

To each his own, for the little extra value priced motorcycle oil costs I'd rather buy it than save a few bucks and buy diesel oil--the wet clutch is one reason I rather get bike oil another is RPM and cooling differences between a bike engine and diesel engine (~3k rpm redline vs 10k+ redline).
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 AM

Energy conserving oils wont wear out your clutch. They could cause it to slip, but it can be remedied by changing your oil (and waiting abit).
Another thing to keep in mind is that some oils will cause your tranny to shift rough. I dont know what causes it, but I've seen it happen several times, and switching oil brands always helped

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode