2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 released! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 released!

After providing as much speculation, information and product renderings to readers as possible, we can finally spill the beans on the much anticipated R1. Yamaha has pulled out all the stops with a ground-up re-do of its iconic literbike. New bits abound, including its styling, chassis and, most intriguingly, a MotoGP-derived firing order of its innovative engine.

In the top class of roadracing, engineers have battled with harnessing the huge amounts of power and getting it to the ground efficiently. In 2004, Yamaha's GP engineers introduced an uneven firing interval for its inline four-cylinder M1 with what's called a cross-plane crankshaft. Instead of the two outer and two inner pistons rising and falling together, the R1's engine has individual cylinders firing 90 degrees apart from each other. This eliminates the torque fluctuation of a typical four-cylinder mill, plus it gives the Yamamotor a very distinctive exhaust note similar to that of Valentino Rossi's racebike.

"It gives a much more precise feeling in the throttle action," says Yamaha's product planner Derek Brooks. "You fill like you can sense that edge of traction."

More: 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 released! on Motorcycle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Well, I'm sure that it will be technologically superior, but it definitely lost the good looks of it's 2004-2008 predecessor. Took some ugly styling queues from Honda's 2008 CBR 1000 I see.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
What's up with those headlights? Look like bugeyes from that angle. I like that color scheme and the matching seats though.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 03:54 PM

i thought all 4-bangers were offset 90degrees in the first place ???
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
i thought all 4-bangers were offset 90degrees in the first place ???
I thought so too. But apparantly not.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider View Post
Well, I'm sure that it will be technologically superior, but it definitely lost the good looks of it's 2004-2008 predecessor. Took some ugly styling queues from Honda's 2008 CBR 1000 I see.
I like the new look, the bike looks stouter and more compact which seems like it gives the rider more controll over the front end, the lights/intake is a new idea that will prolly give it big buck in sales, and since I was wrong about the "all bikes were 90degree...", it has new technology that none of the other competitors have. Also since its a 'redesigned model' it will make it a big champ in sales in my opinion.... but they have to figure out how to get past that ugly fender bracket thingy in the back

"Every so often, I try to masturbate a large word into conversation, even if I'm not really sure what it means."
Not sure which one he is, but he's here
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.

Easy on the throttle, steady on the gears, roll her over gently and she'll last for many years.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
but they have to figure out how to get past that ugly fender bracket thingy in the back
Do you mean the license plate bracket? Doesn't everyone remove those? I dislike the looks of those on all bikes, myself.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM

I have mixed feelings about the looks but those headlights have got to go.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
What's up with those headlights? Look like bugeyes from that angle. I like that color scheme and the matching seats though.

So i was thinking it looks like a bush baby. or one of those praying mantis. I was down at the local shop, there is one there. they said its really heavy even with its dry weight. Im not a huge fan of yamaha so I really could care less of what they do next but from what I know it seems like an impressive bike. I just dont like how they feel the high seat. even though I am 6'3" i still love the feel of the gixxer.

Yamaha R1 ==>

Sport bikes are bad ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode