2008 KTM RC8 1190 Review - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
2008 KTM RC8 1190 Review

KTM firmly places itself into the history books with its first ever superbike! It's orange, its fast and its right straight out of the crate. KTM really managed to impress both Jeremy McWilliams and myself. The 1148cc V-twin from Mattighofen takes on the world.

KTM showed us the very first concept version of the RC8 at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2003. The Austrians are aggressive in their marketing strategy and choosing Tokyo was a nice little intimidating stunt aimed at the Japanese big four. KTM wants to make a big statement with the RC8. It says in big orange letters that if we can beat you at offroad we can beat you on the road too.

The RC8 started out as a 999cc V-Twin, and then it became a 990cc V4. KTM then scrapped everything done before and developed a brand new V75 1148cc twin from scratch in 30 months. In the last two years KTM lobbied with Ducati to get the current World Superbike regulation changes through to allow the 1200cc super twins to compete.

The real competition right now is first and foremost the Ducati 1098. The RC8 1190 is aimed directly at the 1098S at a lower price than the standard 1098. As a matter of fact, Mattighofen engineers have aimed very precisely and the RC8 1190 makes exactly the same rear wheel horsepower as the 1098S. A source also told me exclusively that KTM has purchased not one, but two brand new Ducati 1098R's for study (this is not unusual as every manufacturer studies its competition). But in the corridors lurk both a BMW and an Aprilia 4-cylinder superbike too. World Superbike racing will be extremely interesting in 2009.

More: 2008 KTM RC8 1190 Review on Motorcycle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM

that looks like my next bike .... imagine these lights on it ....

"Every so often, I try to masturbate a large word into conversation, even if I'm not really sure what it means."
Not sure which one he is, but he's here
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.

Easy on the throttle, steady on the gears, roll her over gently and she'll last for many years.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Strength and Honor

Just read an article on a compare of that versus the 1098S (pricing is very similar). The take-away from that was the 1098 was better track-oriented but painful for anything long distance, the RC had a bit of a power issue but was more comfortable. I do like the angular shape of the bodywork

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode