MO Survey: What Kind Of Helmet Do You Wear? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

MO Survey: What Kind Of Helmet Do You Wear?

Quote:
A DOT approved helmet is the most important piece of safety gear that a motorcyclist can wear. Still, the range of legal helmets covers (or doesn’t cover) a wide range of protection. Since we’re street-wise enough to know that not everyone shares our belief in the importance of protective headgear.

Lend us your voice, oh MOrons! What is your preferred style of helmet?
Take the MO Survey: What Kind Of Helmet Do You Wear? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:50 AM

This is my best lid. It's a well worn Icon Alliance. I bought it for $70 off ebay a couple of years ago from a guy in Los Angeles. Take a look at the inside padding. Years of sweat went into that. I was so excited to finally own such a hot lid.

I remember when I first received it in the mail. As I opened the box the helmet came in, just a little bit, I could smell it. The smell of another guy's helmet stink was rising into the air and I could actually smell it without even wearing it! I removed the lid from the box. Oily sweat from the padding and the chin strap made my hands slick just by handling the helmet, normally. The smell of the lid got more intense, too.

I looked at the inside of the helmet. Hydradry padding is very white when it's new. As it gets used, it changes color. This inside of this helmet was a dark gray with highlights of yellowish brown in the ear cups from the previous owner's earwax. The padding was stretched in all the right places because another guy had been in it more than five years, and it was shiny from sebum, the oily component of sweat. Wow, I thought. In a moment, I am actually going to be in this.

I pulled apart the mouth of the helmet by the chin straps. I positioned my head against it and pushed in. The helmet swallowed my head in one gulp. The oily, smelly padding slid down my face. It went on so easily. The strong smell inside the lid was the most intense "helmet stink" I'd ever been in. I could feel the sweat saturating the forehead and cheek pads against my skin. I buckled the smelly straps into place around my chin. I closed the visor. The previous owner's stink built up inside the helmet and intensified. As I began to sweat inside the lid, the previous owner's sweat became wet, as well, and I could feel it.

The test of a really good helmet is to see if you can sleep in it. So, that's what I did. I slept in my new Icon, wearing more than five years of another rider's stink. When I pulled out of the lid the next morning, my hair was dirty. It was as if I hadn't washed it for a couple of weeks. Now, it was time to take this helmet on its first ride. I'll write about that, later.

Spoiler alert: the ride stunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hotlid.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	31747  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:14 AM

The next morning, I brushed my teeth and took a shower, like normal (almost). It seemed to me that the lid's previous owner never washed his hair or face. He'd just roll out of bed and into his lid. I decided to give that part a try.

With so much of another guy's sebaceous sweat in my hair, it was easy to comb through. I had a little breakfast, slid back into the dirty lid and went on a long ride. I met up with a couple of friends who complemented me on my lid. They asked where I got it. I told them, eBay.

We stopped for gas during our ride. I took off my new lid, and one of my friends asked to see it. I handed it to him. He looked at the inside. He said, "That's totally gross, dude." The he smelled it, and said, "It totally stinks in there, like the previous owner never takes a shower." He asked if I bought this without seeing it. I said that it came to me just as it was pictured on eBay. I explained that sweaty lids fit better and smell natural.

I told him to give it a try. Put your head in it, I said, and see for yourself. He thought I was nuts, but I insisted. So, he did. Just like with me, the lid swallowed his head in one gulp. He said that it was definitely comfortable, but he was worried that the stink inside the lid was now going to get in his. He was right to worry. Earlier in the day, even though I didn't get my hair wet while I took a shower, I still rubbed a white towel on my hair as if I'd washed it. Brown, oily sweat transferred to the white terry towel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode