Should Drivers Pay for Global Warming? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Should Drivers Pay for Global Warming?

More good news from our silly friends out in LaLaLand!

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/04/s...nup=1&mbid=yhp

Should Drivers Pay for Global Warming?

Nothing riles Southern Californians like a new tax on their God-given right to drive. Yet motorists in Los Angeles County might be paying an extra 9 cents per gallon at the gas pump--or an additional $90 on their vehicle registration fees. The purpose? It would help fight global warming.

Voters will decide whether to approve a "climate change mitigation and adaptation fee" under a proposed law being debated by the state legislature. It has already been endorsed by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The money would be used to fund public transportation and other projects that ease traffic congestion at a time when the state budget is strapped and money from Washington has all but dried up. Critics are hopping mad. They say that it exploits public sympathy for global warming in order to fund projects that are already sucking down tax payers' dollars.

Who gets tapped? Read after the jump.

Supporters point out that many ambitious public transportation projects, including the Subway to the Sea, the Wilshire bus-only lane and the extension of the Gold Line subway aren't fully funded--and risk being sidelined.

The tax would pull in an estimated $400 million a year, which makes it a model that other cash-strapped states will no doubt find enticing. California voters will have to decide whether or not it's fair.

Sources: Los Angeles Times, LAist. Read More

Redline Superbike Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Do we get reimbursed once they finally remove their heads from their @$$3$ and realize that the earth always has, and always will have natural cycles of heating and cooling?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

That's Blasphemy!!!

Al Gore will get you for that!
(and your little dog too!)

Redline Superbike Member

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to hellsnat Send a message via Yahoo to hellsnat
I wonder what they will do when they find out the earth is cooling.

Maybe they will pay us to increase our carbon footprints to start the warming process all over again?

That statement goes totally against my core beliefs, but I had to put it out there. LOL

"If ignorance is bliss, why arn't there more happy people?"

Moderator of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsnat View Post
I wonder what they will do when they find out the earth is cooling.

Maybe they will pay us to increase our carbon footprints to start the warming process all over again?

That statement goes totally against my core beliefs, but I had to put it out there. LOL
+1 My thoughts exactly

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Of course they will not pay us to produce increase our carbon footprint. They will tax us for producting too much oxygen.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to marc_padin Send a message via Yahoo to marc_padin
I don't know why but this sound like Cali wants to throw money at the problem (like the commercial from a few years back). They expect people not to drive in CA? Or justy maybe they want to give this money on grands so that universities and companies develop alternative fuels or new battery technology so that plug in hybrids/electrics can be more reacheable to the masses. The most ironic part is that: who loves Hummers (and I dont mean that in a sexual way)? I reckon that if the Governator wouldn't have asked AM General for a civilian Humvee, the hummer wouldn't have been created and marketed to the rich. Just my thoughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode