Home Audio - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Home Audio

Ok, I'm wondering now about home audio. What is the best out there and why. What do you guys have? The uses I'm thinking are mainly movies and TV and what not, so surround sound for sure.

I like Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics. But what else?

What about Bose? Are they overpriced? Is the quality really there?

Let's say there is a budget between 1 and 2 thousand dollars.

Suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Polk, and BA... make a good product,

I personally run the Sony Strda5300ES, with a set of Energy Speakers.

my choice was made a little easier because I work for Sony here in Canada.

but it all depends on what you wanna spend. I mean, you should spend 40% on your receiver and the 60% on the speakers.

read consumer reports, and take a look at Crutchfield. It's there you'll usually find all the reviews you need to see about products before making a choice.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to LuckyStrike Send a message via Yahoo to LuckyStrike
Bowers & Wilkins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death!

Video Games do not kill people, people kill people. Me,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
One of the best IMO is Rega (out of England). I use two Rega's as my right and left speakers with a Bose Balboa as the centre.

The clarity and range off these Rega's is amazing. Now, you'll pay for it of course...a centre speaker is almost 4 bills and you won't find these for sale at Best Buy

I like the balboa series from Bose a lot. My centre speaker was cheap at 149.00 but I got it at that price only because of a boxing day sale. I'll be adding a pair of Bose rear speakers too because I've been so pleased with the centre balboa. Value to price it's hard to beat them IMHO.

jim
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Getting Too Old
We have one room set up with yamaha speakers and a sony reciever and the other set up with Klipsch speakers and a yamaha reciever. Both are OK at best. They are 5.1 surround systems. If I had it to do over again I would like the 7.1 surround sys. I don't have the first clue about audio systems so I can't give you any info other than I wouldn't buy Yamaha or Klipsch speakers again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 AM

Doc,

I got the $599 Samsung from Best Buy when I bought my Sony TV. It's loud as hell and with the speakers mounted in the 4 corners of the room, the surround sound during movies sounds great to me.

Stop by and check it out anytime.

mb.

Polaris 800XCSP
Baja Boss 272

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Strength and Honor

I recommend checking out what's being said at avsforum.com. This is where I got research done on a flat panel and my HTiB (home theater in a box). Onkyo's direct site is very popular for their refurb deals b/c they work beatifully and are fully backed by Onkyo so the risk is really low.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Hey!
You got a hot, young, new wife, a boat and a motorcycle (and you have a job) and we are coming into summer!!!

Why you need a home theater????????????????????

If anything, all you need is a new HD camcorder and an internet connection!

Redline Superbike Member
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterbusa View Post
Hey!
You got a hot, young, new wife, a boat and a motorcycle (and you have a job) and we are coming into summer!!!

Why you need a home theater????????????????????

If anything, all you need is a new HD camcorder and an internet connection!

There's Webb - always thinking!

mb.

Polaris 800XCSP
Baja Boss 272

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM

I have a yamaha receiver, klipsch center and rears, paradigm monitor 11s for my fronts and a polk sub. I cant remember what series for everything but I will try to look when I get home. I can tell you that if you have some clean power going to the monitor 11s you will be impressed. Note that if you buy them you will probably want to buy a sub also. The monitor 11s I think are about 1400, receiver was 800, rears were 350 sub was 500 center was I think 600 or 700 I can double check on everything if you like.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode