Bike Week - Myrtle Beach - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to R37ribution
Bike Week - Myrtle Beach

I would love to go to Myrtle Beach!!! I own a Ford Probe and they had meets down there for the last 10 years, 2007 was the last one before the organizers retired it. I have always wanted to go down there for those meets but never got around to it.

I have read tons of stories about how much of a blast it is at the meets down there. I can only imagin Bike Week would be even more superb. I meant to get down to FL for the Daytona Bike Week but didn't get my truck running in time.

I got my Ducati and my first bike on May 28, 2007. I have 3016 miles on here and just broke the 3k mark the Friday night when I rode home in 35 degree weather. I am the on call for the week and work paged me so I was stuck where I was 'til I fixed it. I finally started heading home around 1am. I got on the freeway and thought to myself either I can be frozen for a while or be super frozen for a short while. So I punched it and ran it at 140+ most of the way home, I looked down once and saw 156mph. I'm usualy a pussy about goin that fast cuz I don't wanna do anything I'm not ready for but I was so cold and said to myself screw it.

I love riding and only regret waiting so long to start. My best friend, Laron, has been riding since he was 5 or so. I would have bought my bike 3 summers ago when me and my friend from work, Shawn, were gonna get one but I didn't have the money. He went and bought an '05 636. I know people say "don't get a Duc for your first bike" but when Laron heard I was lookin he told me "you gotta find your OWN bike not one somebody shows you". I wanted something differnt, something I never saw on the road and I wanted it with either a v twin or v4 cuz I loved the deep sound. Then one day I stumbled across Ducs and fell in love. I had the money now and bought what would make me happy ~ a 2006 749s with 1 mile on the clock that had been sitting in a guys garage since September of 2006. Never even rode it, the dealer put the 1 mile on it during the test ride after assembly. I fell in love with riding shortly thereafter.

So whos goin May 9-18? I will make sure my truck is ready.

I don't plan nothin, I don't expect nothin, I play the game of life as it comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R37ribution View Post
\Friday night when I rode home in 35 degree weather...I can be frozen for a while or be super frozen for a short while. So I punched it and ran it at 140+ most of the way home, I looked down once and saw 156mph. I'm usualy a pussy about goin that fast cuz I don't wanna do anything I'm not ready for but I was so cold and said to myself screw it.
Hope you have a good "flame suit"...glad you made it home ok.

Redline Superbike Member - Treasurer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to marc_padin Send a message via Yahoo to marc_padin
Quote:
I got my Ducati and my first bike on May 28, 2007. I have 3016 miles on here and just broke the 3k mark the Friday night when I rode home in 35 degree weather. I am the on call for the week and work paged me so I was stuck where I was 'til I fixed it. I finally started heading home around 1am. I got on the freeway and thought to myself either I can be frozen for a while or be super frozen for a short while. So I punched it and ran it at 140+ most of the way home, I looked down once and saw 156mph. I'm usualy a pussy about goin that fast cuz I don't wanna do anything I'm not ready for but I was so cold and said to myself screw it.
A ducati for the first bike? Nice. Doing 140+ mph on cold tires? Not so nice, down right dangerous, but untimately its your life, its your skin! Not flaming on my part.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to LuckyStrike Send a message via Yahoo to LuckyStrike
Quote:
I would love to go to Myrtle Beach!!! I own a Ford Probe and they had meets down there for the last 10 years, 2007 was the last one before the organizers retired it. I have always wanted to go down there for those meets but never got around to it.

I have read tons of stories about how much of a blast it is at the meets down there. I can only imagin Bike Week would be even more superb. I meant to get down to FL for the Daytona Bike Week but didn't get my truck running in time.

I love riding and only regret waiting so long to start. My best friend, Laron, has been riding since he was 5 or so. I would have bought my bike 3 summers ago when me and my friend from work, Shawn, were gonna get one but I didn't have the money. He went and bought an '05 636. I know people say "don't get a Duc for your first bike" but when Laron heard I was lookin he told me "you gotta find your OWN bike not one somebody shows you". I wanted something differnt, something I never saw on the road and I wanted it with either a v twin or v4 cuz I loved the deep sound. Then one day I stumbled across Ducs and fell in love. I had the money now and bought what would make me happy ~ a 2006 749s with 1 mile on the clock that had been sitting in a guys garage since September of 2006. Never even rode it, the dealer put the 1 mile on it during the test ride after assembly. I fell in love with riding shortly thereafter.

So whos goin May 9-18? I will make sure my truck is ready.

What no Youtube video?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death!

Video Games do not kill people, people kill people. Me,
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to yamagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip f4i pilot View Post
Hope you have a good "flame suit"...glad you made it home ok.
Now where did I put my blowtorch.

Please tell me you have full coverage on that bike.

I really don't recommend going that fast on the street, however, I had to learn the hard way and it was horendous. I hope the same doesn't happen to you. Keep it rubberside down.

100+mph crash on your head along with a broken colarbone and roadrash. This all happened on cold tires. Adrenaline can get the best of you. Maybe keep those speeds for the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamagirl; 03-16-2008 at 01:51 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I know what I did was pretty dumb I was just so cold and wanted to get home ASAP. I did go about 4 miles or so down 94W from Michigan Ave at about 85-90 first. It was when I was entering 23S from 94 that I started freezing my nutz off and hit it. I don't know exactly how long it takes for tires to heat up. I have the Michlin Pilots which I thought were 0 temp tires or I could be wrong? So if the tire is cold I know you have less traction but what else would happen? explodes?

At any rate the post started off being about Bike Week and then I just started rambeling sorry.

I don't plan nothin, I don't expect nothin, I play the game of life as it comes.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I know what I did was pretty dumb I was just so cold and wanted to get home ASAP. I did go about 4 miles or so down 94W from Michigan Ave at about 85-90 first. It was when I was entering 23S from 94 that I started freezing my nutz off and hit it. I don't know exactly how long it takes for tires to heat up. I have the Michlin Pilots which I thought were 0 temp tires or I could be wrong? So if the tire is cold I know you have less traction but what else would happen? explodes?

At any rate the post started off being about Bike Week and then I just started rambeling sorry.

Cold tires will not explode. The problem with "no heat" on your tires is "no grip". Sure you don’t need that much grip to go fast on the freeway. The problem comes when an you have to call on that grip to save yourself from an unfortunately situation. Potholes, objects on the road, other vehicles, can create those situations.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok, that's what I figured you guys were talkin about. I remember yamagirl telling me about her close call right after she bought her gixxer at Busters in December...good thing luck was on her side.

So about how long does it take to warm up tires? Or will they never really warm up enough in 30 degree weather?

Last edited by R37ribution; 03-16-2008 at 07:53 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Ok, that's what I figured you guys were talkin about. I remember yamagirl telling me about her close call right after she bought her gixxer at Busters in December...good thing luck was on her side.

So about how long does it take to warm up tires? Or will they never really warm up enough in 30 degree weather?
At 30 degrees, I don't think tires warm up at all. During riding season... 60 degrees and above, I give about 5-10 miles of riding before I consider my tires hot and ready for full lean. I also try my brakes hard while I have control of my riding situation. Test out the grip, just like you do on icy roads. But that is just me, I am one of the ones who have fallen... I learned to value my skin...

Last edited by marc_padin; 03-16-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode