New TV...Plasma, LCD, or DLP - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
New TV...Plasma, LCD, or DLP

Hello All-

I know what I can read on websites and what not. I know what is out there as far as messge boards. I've been to the big box stores and looked at some adn talked to sales reps. It seems that they are pushing brands, which is fine. But I need to know raw unbiased data on the technologies itself, then I can shoose a brand. So what is your opinion on three types of TV's. It is time for me to get a new one, my Sony Trinitron just isn't cutting it anymore, it has seen better days. So, I've been looking at TV's and was wondering what everyone's opinion was.

The TV is going in a room about 15' x 13' and will not be hung on the wall. Which is the rationale for a DLP. But I like the crispness and brightness of the plasma/LCD world. However, I hear that the longevity of them is limited to about 5 or so years. I'm thinking between a 45" and 50" tv size, which I think will be suited for the room. I want a 1080P resolution and plan on HD programming.

Which do you all have and why.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocThee View Post
Hello All-

I know what I can read on websites and what not. I know what is out there as far as messge boards. I've been to the big box stores and looked at some adn talked to sales reps. It seems that they are pushing brands, which is fine. But I need to know raw unbiased data on the technologies itself, then I can shoose a brand. So what is your opinion on three types of TV's. It is time for me to get a new one, my Sony Trinitron just isn't cutting it anymore, it has seen better days. So, I've been looking at TV's and was wondering what everyone's opinion was.

The TV is going in a room about 15' x 13' and will not be hung on the wall. Which is the rationale for a DLP. But I like the crispness and brightness of the plasma/LCD world. However, I hear that the longevity of them is limited to about 5 or so years. I'm thinking between a 45" and 50" tv size, which I think will be suited for the room. I want a 1080P resolution and plan on HD programming.

Which do you all have and why.

Thanks!
Hey Doc,

I just got a LCD 37". The brand that I bought was a Vizio. I was a little skeptical at first, but after checking several consumer feedback and review websites, and talking to other people, I bought it. I absolutely love it, and it was only $750. Now it is only 720P resolution, but that is fine for me. If you have a little more to spend, I would definitely for with 1080i or 1080p. I would look into the LCD, only cause thats what I got, LOL! My knowledge is limited, I will admit.

Good luck.

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM

Doc,

I bought the 40" Sony LCD last November form Best Buy. It's the latest/greatest 120mhz refresh, blah blah blah
It is a great picture! Esp in Blue Ray and HD channels.

Regular channels look just ok. Kinda pixelized. I heard this is because the tv is trying to stretch the signal across a bigger tv. A bigger screen tv would make this worse imo. I sit back from my tv about 20'. 40" screen is nice and big and clear from that distance. 46" might be perfect, but $$$ and blurry non HD stations would be worse.
Hope this helps!

mb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Polaris 800XCSP
Baja Boss 272

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 AM

While MB's comment's about the analog channels can be true today, they will not be a cause for concern by Feb of 2009 when everything will be mandated to be digital.

Now, will some stations offer there digital signals in normal 4x3 format instead of the new 16x9 widescreen format? That we will not know until the new systems come online, but probably most signals will be in the widescreen format.

I got my mother a Sanyo 42 inch, 1080I (or P, whichever is the best one) LCD last Christmas. On the digital broadcasts like sports and nice movies, the pic is awesome!! I did mount it on the wall, overlooking the pool table. It is nice for her because she is in a chair all the time due to her illness. I think it looks great on the wall as the mounting device allows tilting up and down as well as left and right swivel.

I am not a big fan of DLP (Digital Light Processing) which is a catchy anagram which does not actually exist. The anagram is based on DSP (Digital Signal Processing) which is a real technology. DSP is not like DSP, but for light. Simply some clever marketing.

I like the LCD over the Plasma because the flat screen is more efficient, produces less heat and is less expensive.

I think the Plasmas are less durable than the LCD's, in terms of pic degradation over time. I think it is that the pic loses its light abilities and so appears darker over time.

Also, I have heard that the burn in problem is more prevalent in the Plasmas, than for the LCD's. I think almost every channel now has there stupid logo's in 1 corner of the screen and many of them do not fade during the broadcast, they stay there, on top of the image. This could lead to a burn in problem over time if always on the same channel.

Buy a favorite BlueRay DVD and take it with you when you want to test out the tv's. See how the pic looks in every condition that you might encounter. Not very many of us "normal" people (and I use that term lightly with this bunch!) have real cinema rooms in our homes. So make sure you look at a screen in bright light, low light, sunlight and so on to see what it looks like.

Good luck!

Redline Superbike Member
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Plasma not lasting?? I have a 1080i 42" panasonic plasma and the picture are perfect with HD and blue ray, there is no heat issues or ghost issues like all the sales men hit you up with. Have you compared both LCD & Plasma at distance or up close? My friends theater room has a screen with a projector DLP, it looks very good if the room is light leak proof, plus you can adjust the size of the screen by moving the projector. I prefer the plasma, because the vivid contrast is better, the viewing angle is better for all my buddies to watch the NFL, it may have cost a little more but the picture in my own opinion is better, especially when many movies have been shot in low light conditions. If I were to buy one today, I would get a plasma again, the 42" LCD in our guest room is terrible to view because the room is well lit, and depending on who you are entertaining... guest, visitors, or kids, I would get a large LCD, but if it is for you & your wife/girlfriend/SO, get the plasma if you can afford it. Also, the difference between the 1080p and 1080i are not important when the TV is way across the room, but don't get a 720i. Good luck

Member of Epicurean Riders Inc
"Food & Riding"

Member of southern cruisers #226
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM

And don't forget to invite us all over so we can see it after the install!!

And remember, they always recommend no tv in the Master bedroom! There are other things to do that watch tv in there.

Oh sure, they never say what else there is to do, but no watching tv! They are pretty adamant about that!

Redline Superbike Member
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 AM

I'll throw one in for DLP. The tech is very much real, it uses a shit load of small mirrors (one per pixel) to pick a band of light from a spectrum that is coming out of a prism and put it on the screen. Unlike LCD it actually projects a certain color light, instead of just reflecting it, and unlike plasma you will never have a burn in problem. Granted, it will cost you.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 AM

The problems that I have read with regard to DLP is that it is expensive and it is large, much larger than a nice LCD or Plasma. It is also not necessarily a better pic as it is a more complicated use of tek.

But, to each his own, I guess.

Simon had a fantasic setup in his basement. It was a top of the line Sony Projector (I think it was a Sony) and included the type of material that is used for movie screens. His screen was 144x144 square, carefully applied to the wall of his basement.

He created a special room for his theater and installed elevated seating as well as giant subwoofers and shakers under the plush theather seats. It was great!

But, it was a specially built room, he has a wonderful wife who let him waste all that money on the project and you could not hear anything outside that room when you were watching a movie! But if you were inside that room, it was fantasic!

But not a simple, sit in a chair and turn in on kind of a thing.

My basement is not as deep as his, so I could not do his type of install. Still, if one was able too and really was an audiophile, that would be a great way to go!!

Redline Superbike Member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Getting Too Old
What high definition stuff are you running? Cable, Blueray, HD, or just standard cable and DVD player.

I hope you don't mind my on this Doc. It really is going to depend on what you plan on using it for. We have a 58" plasma in our living room. By far that is my favorite tv for movies and cable. It's a 1080i panasonic. The screen color is fabulous with the lights on or off. It's in our room that has a door wall and open to our kitchen so I was really worried about light wahing out the color in the screen but had no problem with it at all. I found out quick though not to do to much gaming on it due to burn in. (I've had to play finding nemo over and over again many times to correct lines from burn in.(apparently high blue and white colors running through over and over helps to remove any burn in))

So because our kids are really into video games we went out and got a dynex 37" LCD 720p TV. It works great for the kids gaming.. However this TV is in another well lite room and if we leave the blinds open the screen just washes out horribly. I thought it was just the placement of the TV to the window but we also have a 37" panasonic 1080i plasma that we had in the same spot and had no picture problem at all.

On a side note if you do any type of gaming or like action movies make sure the LCD tv you get has at least 120 mhz. The Dynex that we have is only rated at 60 mhz and the fast screen play can get a little choppy.

All and all I would take my plasma's over LCD any day I just don't like waiting for the LCD screen to warm up to get the vivid color out of it or trying to make sure the room is dark enough to truly enjoy the picture. Good Luck in you TV hunt.

Another side note (most cable high def channels are only broadcast in 720p and the same with DVD's that are remade in High def format) if your primary use will be cable programming going with a 1080p TV might be overkill. I have an HD and Blue Ray player and the two 1080i plasmas are perfect.

Last edited by Getting Too Old; 03-10-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: forgot some info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode