Howell Leads Effort For Part-Time Legislature - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Howell Leads Effort For Part-Time Legislature

Ok now, this is a truely, fantastic idea!
I hope that we can all get behind on this one and help spread the word!!

http://electgaryhowell.com/In_The_News.html

Howell Leads Effort For Part-Time Legislature
by Tom Wearing, Tri-City Times
Reprinted with permission

LAPEER COUNTY - Gary Howell, a candidate for the 82nd District House of Representatives this November, has taken his advocacy for a part-time legislature to a higher level.

The Republican from North Branch has been appointed chairman of Lapeer County's Part-time Legislature Campaign.

Howell will be leading the local effort to collect 370,000 signatures statewide, for the purpose of placing the proposal on the Nov 4 ballot.

The proposal would require that a part-time Michigan legislature
complete its work no later than July 1 of each year. In addition, legislators would receive annual salaries of $40,000, a significant reduction from the $92,000 it now receives in total compensation.

The proposal would also eliminate retirement programs for legislators and lifetime medical insurance benefits for former legislators. "It is outrageous and greedy for legislators who have served only six years to expect lifetime healthcare and retirement benefits funded by the taxpayers," said Howell. "If the legislature wants to lead Michigan out of this economic crisis, they need to begin by making financial sacrifices themselves."

Howell believes the benefits of a part-time legislature are many, adding that only professional politicians will continue to favor the existing system.
"I see no advantage to a full-time legislature," Howell said. "We are one of only four states (California, New York and Pennsylvania) that has a full-time legislature. It also really frosts me that over the past six years, they have met on an average of 93 days. "This is something that is long overdue," he said. "I think as long as we can get it on the ballot, it has an excellent chance of passing. This proposal will have the support of the public."

While the petition drive has barely begun, Howell believes momentum is already growing for the proposal.
"I think that based on what they (legislature) did last year, they are an argument against themselves," he said. "They waited until the last minute, then came up with a goofball plan to tax certain businesses that even they couldn't stomach later."

Howell particularly likes the proposal's inclusion of a July 1 deadline for the legislative body to complete its work.

This proposal would force them to get things done," he said. "No longer will schools and municipalities be sitting on pins and needles, wondering how much money they're going to get."

Howell said he is available for speaking engagements on the topic, by calling 810-441-0907 or emailing to: [email protected]

Redline Superbike Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to hellsnat Send a message via Yahoo to hellsnat
Lets take it a step further.

How about the politicians get paid on a percentage of the surplus of the Michigan budget?

With out raising taxes, and when they cut taxes, their percentage rises.

(there will have to be a lot more to this, but I think it’s a great idea)

"If ignorance is bliss, why arn't there more happy people?"

Moderator of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsnat View Post
Lets take it a step further.

How about the politicians get paid on a percentage of the surplus of the Michigan budget?

With out raising taxes, and when they cut taxes, their percentage rises.
That could be bad too though....

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode