Career Change Possibility (somewhat long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Career Change Possibility (somewhat long)

Sup Brothas and Sistas,

I am contimplating a career change, and it is starting to become a pretty real possibility. Currently, I work in the Automotive Industry as a Manufacturing Quality Engineer. I have worked in this field for quite a few years, and make a pretty good living. I haven't really fealt the manufacturing pinch that the rest of Michigan has fealt, and I am very thankful of that. Over the past 5 years, I have grown very dis-inchanted with my profession, to the point that I hate going to work everyday. However, I do like the company that I work for, and they are very successful, and growing at a good and reasonable pace.

That said, I know may have the possibility to enter a new career, totally unrelated to manufacturing, and I would have to start at substantially less money than I currently make. It would take 3 or 4 years for me to get where I am at now. The job is somewhat dangerous, but very rewarding, and it has been a dream of mine since I was in my late teens and early twenties. The pay would be less, but with a tight budget, I would definitely be able to make ends meet, and I may be able to get a second job for a while to suppliment my fun stuff.

I don't want to get into to many particulars about the new career possibility, as its not a sure thing yet.

My question is, what would you do, and why?

Thanks for any input

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flip Send a message via Yahoo to Flip
can you tell us what field the other job is in??

Redline Superbike Member - President
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to hellsnat Send a message via Yahoo to hellsnat
My only suggestion is. Don't burn your bridge.

And how stable is the possible new job?

Other than that, you have to do what ever it is that makes you happy. That's the best thing about our country. You have the ability to do it!

"If ignorance is bliss, why arn't there more happy people?"

Moderator of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM

You are going to be a hooker?

I think that if you do not inform us as to what the new job is, all we can do is offer generalities.

Will you still be staying local or are you on your way to "other places" for Haliburton?

You often have to figure out what it is that will make you "happy". So, you have to define "happy".

For many people, work is not fun. Fun is fun and work is just what people do to pay the bills.

If at your current position, could you enjoy it more if someone else left? As in, a supervisor who might retire and is a jerk? Something along those lines?

I think it is important to think about your future and retirement.
They made the statement in the news today that if one were to retire today, that person would need $225,000 in order to just pay for medical insurance, over the rest of there expected lives.

So, you have to ask yourself, will you be able to earn enough to where you will be able to retire well?

You might be pretty young today, but costs are only going to go up and in reality, you will be of retirement age before you know it.

However, if you are cool with your current and future retirement goals, then that is not necessarily something to worry over.

Good luck!

Redline Superbike Member
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Firefighter...
Com'om guys....Pay attention....

Sounds cool Jon.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 AM

If you don't want your current job can I have it?

2008 GSXR 1000 Black on Black
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all of the input guys. The new opportunity is in Law enforcement. I didn't want to say anything because I know some on here have a negative view of police officers.

Hellsnat,

I am pretty sure the new possibility will be fairly stable, at least as stable or more so than the auto industry, and I agree that its awesome living in a country where I can have this dilemma.

Webb,

I see your point(s) as well. I am currently saving for retirement at a very aggressive pace. If I change careers, I may have to taper that off for a couple of years, but I will still be saving. I don't expect my job to be fun, but I would like it to be rewarding, and being bogged down in the corporate manufacturing game of covering you ass, and who's toes not to step on is just wearing me out. I really am looking at using this opportunity to get the training and education to move into higher levels of law enforcement and maybe even getting a law degree at some point. The first few years will be the toughest, but if it all works out the way I see it, I will be way ahead in the end. I will still be in this area for the time being, but who knows what the future holds. I am in a fortunate position as I am no longer married, and don't have any children. That makes the decision a little easier, I guess.

Duner,

Good guess on the firefighter, but not quite. I thought about that, and decided that I really wouldn't like doing it full time, as much as I admire what they do. I like doing the paid-on-call thing.

Nate,

You are more than welcome to it buddy, but I don't think you would like it.

Thanks again for all of the input

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 AM

You can always supplement your income by writing failure to stop tickets and racking in OT like that one guy in Warren... LOL

Do what makes you happy and if you can do it without too much sacrifice.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Live the dream man!

From what I have seen, smart people make rank quickly in the Law Enforcement profession. You'd probably up your pay fairly quickly.

Regarding the retirement issue. Most police departments fund their retirement plans via a defined benefit plan. This means that your retirement benefits are determined by your length of service and salary history. (as opposed to defined contribution plans, like a 401k, where your benefits are simply determined by how much you've managed to save) The magic number to be eligible to draw defined benefit payments. (a lifetime pension) is 20 years of service. If you can put in 20 years, the retirement benefits are very generous. Problem is, if you don't put in the 20 years, you don't really get much of anything and the only way to make use of the years you did put in is to transfer to another government type job, usually within the same municipality, that will accept and "grandfather" your previous years of service into their own defined benefit plan.

Best of luck with your decision.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to yamagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgreen View Post
Thanks for all of the input guys. The new opportunity is in Law enforcement. I didn't want to say anything because I know some on here have a negative view of police officers.

Jon
JonJon, I remember we talked about this. Let me know where you are going to go for the Poloce Academy, I will join you in this endeavor of yours. I would like to be a Public Safety Officer that way I can still practice the EMT portion that I love so much. Seriously, keep me updated. I would enjoy going through this with someone I know for moral support.

Last edited by yamagirl; 03-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode