Honda Says "Sayonara, Ohio!" - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Honda Says "Sayonara, Ohio!"

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2008/...onara-ohio.htm

I had heard something about this, but it is kind of too bad.

At least the employees will be able to continue working for Honda, just at the car plant.

"Honda has announced they are relocating their U.S. motorcycle manufacturing operations to Japan. A statement quotes president and CEO Akio Hamada as saying, "This was a complex decision tied to the important role that Honda in Ohio plays within our North American automobile operations." Honda's Marysville, Ohio plant produced 44,000 VTXs and Gold Wings last year, and a total of 2.25 million motorcycles and ATVs since it opened in 1979. Also consolidating to the new plant in Kumamoto are motorcycle manufacturing operations from Hamamatsu, Japan.

Honda states that "The move reflects a global Honda strategy for production of certain larger motorcycles," and their announcement that the DN-01 sport cruiser will be available for sale in Japan this March signals a willingness to bring to life some of their recent concept bikes. The Ohio factory's 450 motorcycle-related employees won't be laid off and will be reassigned to automotive production jobs at nearby Honda plants.

Once the dust settles and the move is complete in 2009, it sure will be interesting to find out what Honda has up their sleeves in Japan."

Redline Superbike Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Just think....
That could start to happen at all foreign plants in the US, by all foreign manufacturers.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to hellsnat Send a message via Yahoo to hellsnat
makes you wonder if taxes went up, or even if it was a Union plant.

"If ignorance is bliss, why arn't there more happy people?"

Moderator of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM

That's good to see that the jobs are being transfered to other plants.

That's looking out for the employees.

Moderator of

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I wonder if this is because of the falling dollar?
But that does not make sense as the dollar might be low today, but it will rise up again in the not too distant future.

They said the Ohio plant makes VTR's and Goldwings? I can't see alot of Wingdings in Japan. The country is very small and very crowded.

Redline Superbike Member
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Falling dollar would make it more profitable to manufacture in the states not less. I would think that higher taxes have more to do with it. But at the end, its cheaper to run one big factory than a bunch of small ones.

and duner: That could also happen to all domestic plants owned by domestic manufacturers.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM

I'm not a brilliant and worldly as most on this site, so I am going to ask a question. Could this have anything to do with the cost of manufacturing in the US, i.e. wages, health insurance, taxes, safety, etc...) vs. the cost of shipping the Japanese made product to the US. If it is cheaper for them to manufacture in Japan, and ship to the US, does NAFTA play a role there?

Any input would be appreciated.

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgreen View Post
I'm not a brilliant and worldly as most on this site, so I am going to ask a question. Am I good looking?
Jon
Yes Jon, yes you are! LOL

Moderator of

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM

J:
Nafta is north american free trade agreement. Its an agreement to lower tariffs between canada, usa, and mexico. Japan is not in north america so it has no role here. If Honda was to build a plant in either mexico or canada, than it would play some role.

A cheaper dollar means that more dollars can be bought for a given quantity of yen. Since american wages/health insurance/taxes/whatever is paid in dollars, honda can spend fewer yen on them. Also, it would make more sense for a manufacturer to make things in the US (paying all the expanses in dollars) and sell abroad since they can now outbid manufacturers in countries with more expensive currency.

In other words:
Weak dollar is good for exports, good for manufacturing.
Strong dollar is good for imports, good for retailers.
Dollar going up: Good for lenders
Dollar going down: good for debtors

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
J:
Nafta is north american free trade agreement. Its an agreement to lower tariffs between canada, usa, and mexico. Japan is not in north america so it has no role here. If Honda was to build a plant in either mexico or canada, than it would play some role.

A cheaper dollar means that more dollars can be bought for a given quantity of yen. Since american wages/health insurance/taxes/whatever is paid in dollars, honda can spend fewer yen on them. Also, it would make more sense for a manufacturer to make things in the US (paying all the expanses in dollars) and sell abroad since they can now outbid manufacturers in countries with more expensive currency.

In other words:
Weak dollar is good for exports, good for manufacturing.
Strong dollar is good for imports, good for retailers.
Dollar going up: Good for lenders
Dollar going down: good for debtors
I guess I should have realized about NAFTA. Its been a long day. LOL! Thanks for the tutorial, it actually makes alot of sense to me.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode