Must Read: Ban on bikes?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Must Read: Ban on bikes??

FORESTVILLE, Md. - Saying that so-called bullet bikes or crotch rockets are "wreaking a tremendous amount of havoc on our roadways," one Maryland lawmaker says the state should consider banning the motorcycles from street use.
A crash on the Capital Beltway Wednesday night killed two people and left 15 others injured. Police say that the accident happened as they were trying to stop one of these speeding motorcycles.

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Delegate Bill Bronrott of Montgomery County. "I think we should look at the possibility of saying, 'Hey, these are only intended for recreational use and should be used on race courses rather than on public highways."

Bronrott says Maryland State Police are contacting jurisdictions around the country to see how they handle the motorcycles. He says Maryland needs to investigate whether higher penalties would reduce problems associated with the motorcycles and/or whether laws need to be changed.

"It is definitely worth looking into whether or not we should totally ban these from our public roads or not," Bronrott says.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the seven-car, chain-reaction crash that closed the Beltway Wednesday night.

It started at about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned himself to stop it on the inner loop, police said. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's.

That car rolled down an embankment onto the outer loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

Two people in the car that went over the embankment died. Prince George's County Police have identified them as Kevin McCarter, 40, of Ft. Washington, Md. and Sidney Clanton Jr., age unknown, of Buffalo, N.Y.

Two of the injured were police officers. One was flown to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other was also hospitalized, but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Law enforcement sources tell WTOP the officers involved in the accident had been alerted to a felony in progress, and were given a lookout for the cycle.

Officers are looking for the motorcycle and rider believed to be responsible.

Police say they were chasing a black, high-speed, nimble racing motorcycle.

A video camera in the police cruiser did capture the chase, but police have not provided a more detailed description of the bike, or any license plate information.

The accident and rescue effort caused the highway to be closed in both directions, backing up traffic for miles.

Police are asking anyone with information to call them at 301-772-4710 or 301-731-4422.

My thoughts:

1) A swerving bike CAUSED the police car to crash into a civilian car?? I don't buy it. I'm thinking the officer didn't have control of his car and HE is at fault and HE alone is the reason for the huge pile up resulting in 2 people getting killed.

2) "They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," Um....so are CARS...and um....riding lawn mowers...and um... boats, jet skis, guns, walking in Central Park after dark. Should we ban all that too? Or how about this... Patrick kinked the hose while Dakota took a drink from it. Then, Patrick unkinked it the next thing we saw was water shooting out of Dakota's nose. We all laughed. OH BUT WAIT....that could have drowned him right? That's potentially dangerous..we should ban garden hoses too.

Thoughts??

Jen

Last edited by 636Jen; 06-02-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 PM

I'm with you there this is absurd, it's the cops own fault for swerving into somebodies car and everything improperly used is potentially dangerous, I'm sure they already know what a simple box cutter on a plane can do. If they want to really ban everything dangerous for peoples safety then their gonna have to ban atoms cuse you know they're a key component in an atom bomb
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Yeah I've been involved in a debate about this on another board. This is BS, I'm tired of a bike being blamed because a cop can't control his stuff. This is the exact same thing as with that biker in Florida where the trooper crashed and died. Hey cops right here !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

They told me to follow my dreams...Too bad they were all NiGhTmArEs!

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
Yeah I agree this is just like ppl wanting to governor bikes but not cars
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Angry Here we go again...

....the simple fact is, that the whole thing is a result of an initial, irresponsible behavior, resulting in the duty of law enforcement to act, in response to a request from "concerned citizens"....which unfortunately resulted in the death of several "uninvolved" motorists. That is exactly what happened....all bias aside.

No...banning sportbikes isn't the answer....however riding more responsibly on public highways and streets might be. That's the ONLY way to stop the mainstream outcry for our beloved repli-racers.

I get to see it from both sides. The reality is....sometimes, it's just not pretty.

Come on Headlight.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM

I think they chose a very poor example for their case.

How can they call it a "Death Machine" when the only people that DIDN'T die were the ones on the bike!?
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally posted by endleswavz
....the simple fact is, that the whole thing is a result of an initial, irresponsible behavior, resulting in the duty of law enforcement to act, in response to a request from "concerned citizens"....which unfortunately resulted in the death of several "uninvolved" motorists. That is exactly what happened....all bias aside.

No...banning sportbikes isn't the answer....however riding more responsibly on public highways and streets might be. That's the ONLY way to stop the mainstream outcry for our beloved repli-racers.

I get to see it from both sides. The reality is....sometimes, it's just not pretty.

Come on Headlight.
I agree, we need to legislate responsibility.

The manufacturers advertising materials indicate that these bikes are intended for expert riders. Perhaps the best control would be to limit them to ONLY expert riders. Which lands us back at the graduated licensing debate, something I am ALL for!!!
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:23 AM

Graduated license or not, one day you will probably pin the throttle on a highway................

Now the real test is, if you get caught, are you going to stop or run like the asshats in the story? One reason I have no problem with speed trap cameras on the highways.

Bikes will never be outlawed, just think of the money surrounding them.....
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
I agree, we need to legislate responsibility.

The manufacturers advertising materials indicate that these bikes are intended for expert riders. Perhaps the best control would be to limit them to ONLY expert riders. Which lands us back at the graduated licensing debate, something I am ALL for!!!
How can we legislate responsibility? We have drivers licenses yet there are many people that drive without one or on a suspended license. We have seat belt laws yet we still hear of accidents were someone wasn't wearing a seat belt. Personally I'm not for graduated licenses because who's to say that someone limited to a small bike for such a time is actually spending time learning instead of just waiting out the restriction period. That and with the number of "permit only" riders it's not likely that new riders will have the urge to be fully legal and follow the letter of the law saying they have to ride a smaller bike so long before they get to ride the bike they become a rider to ride. The best solution IMHO is either cops don't chase or bikers don't flee, there is already a law that covers this too...it's a felony to flee from a police officer, so much for the law preventing those deaths.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 AM

I think they should ban bikes on the roads...people don't know how to ride them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode