Transmission work help? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
Transmission work help?

Hey,

My shift forks and shift rods are going on my bike. I need to do some work on it but not comfortable doing it alone. I can take the engine out myself fairly easily but would like some help rebuilding the tranny. I could put up some $ or a case of beer b/c it was gonna be 750 for just labor at the shop

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 05:41 PM

How do you know that it is the shift forks? Does it pop of the same gear at a certain RPM? Or is it a random thing? A couple of years back well about 12 to be exact. My third gear would always pop out of the same gear and at the same RPM. Took it all apart and I had a broken shift drum, bent shift fork and one worn out 3rd gear-gear dog. Had to replace all the gears on the counter shaft since once you buy one you should buy the rest on the same shaft, shift drum and all new forks. Parts alone were $900 dollars with a discount and I did it all myself saving me about $1100 in labor. Once you tear down that motor I guarentee its more than what your thinking. But your in luck, I will help you tear it all down and repair it for about half the cost.

Let me know A.S.A.P so I can pencil you in!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Its just shifting rough and making extra noise when I shift into first gear. It doesn't pop out yet but I disassembled the clutch and that is fine no excess wear. So I talked to some people that had the same problem and they said it will probably be shift forks. I don't know where you're getting 900 as shift forks are only like 150 drum assy 100 shift rods 30 and input output gears only like 100 each if I need any of those. I don't need help with the tear down labor so much that is pretty easy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:23 PM

can you check wear and tear on the gears without tearing the whole motor out / splitting the case? Thats a pretty deep job you're talkin about, when are you planning on doing it?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I don't think u can. I tightened up the clutch cable and it seems to be shifting in pretty good. I might just wait and see how long it will go. What will happen if it seizes up will I just not be able to shift or will the rear tire lock up?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:14 PM

rear tire lockup is pretty unlikely. Seizing gears would take a lot.

What you would really see is if you bent a fork you would have trouble finding a certain gear, 3rd, for example. It just wouldn't go all the way in a lot of the time.

If you've worn out the dogs on the gears then it will pop out of gear a lot, esp. under load. But realistically you can't tell unless you tear the thing apart and take a look. SO unless you are experiencing a major problem, or consistent performance problem, just ride it...

otherwise you run the risk of tearing it all apart and having to put it back together just the way it was... which just leaves a ton of room to ruin good parts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

The only problem I'm having is I can't find neutral unless going like 20 or so. I tightened up the clutch cable and it seems to be good for shifting now. I was on the freeway and was fooling around and did some 4th gear roll ons and the rpms jumped as if it was slipping before it caught... I don't know what could cause that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:03 PM

free play on the clutch cable can be one, you need to have enough to wiggle the lever a good 1/4" or so... whatever feels comfortable.

Worn clutch plates would do that but you said you checked that.

Worn gears might cause it if you're going from loaded to unloaded and back they might have a lot of free play

How tight is your chain?

Sounds like everything is ok, unless you used some kind of oil problem where you put in car oil or somethin and it impregnated the clutch, but you sound a little smart for that kind of thing...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

No I coughed up the $4/qt for motorcycle oil. I should probably check that chain now that you mention it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:07 PM

This is just my opionion, I have been riding/working on bikes for many years. If you have any issues with your motor (tranny) get to the bottom of it quikly. It will just save you lots of money in the long run. Also just because someone tells you it could be this or it could be that. You will never know until you get into it and check it out. If you don't trust yourself get someone else to do it for you. Thats about the best advice I can give you.

Since you said you are hearing noises and the bike is reving with out catching right away. It does sound like a clutch problem not a transmission problem. How many miles are on your bike? Is it the original clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode