Born Before 1986? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Talking Born Before 1986?

You've probably seen this...but I thought it was funny and sadly, true!!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our cribs were covered with brightly colored lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans. When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags and riding in the passenger seat was a treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter, pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot to add the brakes.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 299 channels on TV, no videotaped movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chatrooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We played knock-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us. We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mommy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...they actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 AM

Rock on!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 AM

Re: Born Before 1986?

Quote:
Originally posted by 636Jen
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags and riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot to add the brakes.

Jen
I think about that as I buckle Maia into her child-safety booster seat. And then toss her on the back of my bike!

Kinda OT but related to safety I'm on business in a no-helmet law state. I saw a fully race-leathered rider on a matching Yamaha R1 - with no helmet! He doesn't want roadrash but he doesn't mind if his face gets mashed?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:35 AM

HA!
You see that often in Ohio.
I cannot tell you the number of times that I see fully leathered, race booted, Held gloved Ninja and Haybusa riders go blasting by, all topped off with really nice Oakley sunglasses and no helmet!

I guess they are wearing the Magic Oakleys? Or would that be the Star Trek Force Field edition Oakleys?
Amazing to see . . . such stupidity.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

So now that some of you have read this, I have a couple of questions.....

Do you think that we do in fact need all of these safety features such as helmets on bikes (pedal and motorcycles), seatbelts and booster seats, cell phones for kids, child proof lids, latches on doors, leashes on kids, etc? Do you think the safety issues have gotten out of control or do you think there is a general need for these kind of precautionary measures?

Jen
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Do you think that we do in fact need all of these safety features such as helmets on bikes (pedal and motorcycles), seatbelts and booster seats, cell phones for kids, child proof lids, latches on doors, leashes on kids, etc? Do you think the safety issues have gotten out of control or do you think there is a general need for these kind of precautionary measures?

Jen
I think they have gotten outta hand, but most are creature comforts and not law.
If there is room for improvement for safety's sake, have at it, but lets not get crazy with laws...and lets not sugar coat our world too much, otherwise, serious problems in the future of our race would whimp us out.

Helmets for motorcycles I approve.
Real minor head impacts can cause drastic results.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Jen
I think things are out of control. Laws shouldn't exist to protect me from my own stupidity. However, I'm glad as hell that I make my kid wear his helmet on his bicycle, and I'm glad that as a society we are more safety conscious.

He and my daughter were riding thier bikes on the sidewalk in front of my house. A friend was over, and her Jeep's bumper was just barely overhanging the sidewalk. My son passed it for his hundredth or so time, and caught the corner of his handlebar on the bumper. I watched in slow motion as he came down headfirst on the cement of the sidewalk. Thankfully he had on a helmet, or I'm sure we would have been calling 911. Not a scrape on him, but the helmet was cracked and the foam was obviously deformed.

Kevin
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Where's JT when you need him...he is usually good for a real entertaining rant on how laws that are made to protect me from me are useless, then you have laws that protect common idiocy.

Some of these laws are a waste of time and money. Haven't they learned that you can't fix stupid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Jen
I totally agree with helmet laws. We have them here for pushbikes as well as motorbikes. Heck, they should be mandatory for skateboarders and rollerbladers IMHO, but I'm not going to be drawn into a debate about it. Suffice it to say, I saw a kid go down on a skateboard (just rolling down the sidewalk, not doing any tricks), hit his head and die.

I think that some safety restrictions have gotten out of hand, but probably just as much because of possible lawsuits than actually preventing people from getting hurt.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Our kid's today are set up for failure in the real world. School's teach them that everything is fair. They let them spell how it sounds because if they give the kid a bad grade that kid may have a complex about it and never recover. Cell phones for kids!?? They never leave the house as it is. Between the internet, TV and video games they don't get out side. Then if they do go outside they need to have the PF 50 sunblock on OK I'll stop before I really get going Poor kids of today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode