Deer hit by motorcycle - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Deer hit by motorcycle

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/1...s=det&psp=news

Woman Dragged 250 Feet After Crash With Deer

A woman who was a passenger on a motorcycle was dragged for hundreds of feet after the driver of the motorcycle, Timothy Ritchie, hit a deer.

Timothy and Medrina Ritchie were on a 1990 Harley Davison on Peppermill Road on Sunday when a deer ran out of a field and toward the motorcycle.

The motorcycle hit the deer, causing Medrina Ritchie to be ejected, according to a Lapeer County Sheriff's Department news release.

After Medrina Ritchie was ejected, she somehow became tangled in the motorcycle and was dragged 250 feet before Timothy Ritchie was able to gain control of the bike.

Medrina Ritchie was transported to Hurley Hospital where she is listed in stable condition.

An investigation is under way, and deputies believe alcohol may have been a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 AM

I hope she is going to be ok. Just another good reminder to be well aware out there!

Last edited by berettaready8; 04-24-2007 at 10:57 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I really hate it when a group of us are out riding and someone will say "did you see that deer?" and I realize that I didn't see him. Not good. I know that I have to pay more attention.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM

Yep Busa I hear ya that's why I'm out hunting.... just trying to keep the accidents down with the deer by eliminating them
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM

You're just full of good news today Webb.

I'm not sure why alcohol was mentioned. Would it have prevented the deer from jumping out in front of him? Or, are they saying that because he couldn't get his bike under control for 250 feet? I think he's lucky that he got the bike under control at all and lucky that they both aren't dead.

Quote:
Last year a record 210 motorists were killed in collisions with animals, mostly deer. That was 40 more than the previous year and more than twice the number in 1993, according to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Why are we seeing more deer on the roads? Is it an increase in deer populations or the lack of space they have now because of new construction?

I always see deer. What's scary to me is the full size couch in the center lane of 275 at 11:00pm at 70+ mph. You expect deer to be on the side of the road and you ride cautiously by them. But it's hard to see crap in the middle of the road until you're almost on top of it.

Jen
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Jen I think a lot of the deer issues are two fold, you have less deer habitat for them due to urban sprawl. Then a lot of counties are moving to no hunting, that means any deer in that area are safe and will only die if hit by a car. When in reality A. they were they're first and hey a bit of land conservation wouldn't hurt. B. hunters are needed when the deer must be removed, I understand no hunting with a fire arm, but at least let the bow hunters in there to clean them out!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Just reporting the news, not creating it.

I think we need to see these things to sort of remind us of how things are out there.
You can be at the top of your game, but a deer popping out from behind some barrier would be disasterous.

Maybe the deer/Hardley story is because the alcohol might have helped the rider miss seeing the deer, but maybe not. Perhaps the biggest point to remember is never drink and ride.

Who knows.

I find the story of the biker who was killed downriver to be very troubling as they say speed and drink was not a factor. Maybe some health issue or falling asleep?

I wonder because I wish to avoid it, whatever caused it to happen.

Maybe somedays it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Are they sure that the riders hit a deer at all?
Ya think it'd take down the bike outright.....the ejected and then entangled sounds awful odd....and the regaining control after 250 feet...how are you up but outta control of the bike for 250 feet, other than a tank slapper?.....

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Well since we are on the topic of deer, I have been seeing a lot more dead deer on the sides of the roads lately. More than usual I would say. So keep your eyes open and your hands on the brake levers.
Here is a sobering pic from last year in WV. Note the dead dear, totaled motorcyle and rider (luckily just a broken colar bone) all in the road. When they picked up his bike they found a deer terd on the saddle bag. Talk about scaring the crap out of the deer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st.n national 06 097.jpg (150.7 KB, 95 views)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

From that pic, it looks like a pretty small deer, almost a doe. Maybe it was larger, but it does not look all that big in the photo.

Glad that he is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode