Michigan Proposals and the NOV 7th vote - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Michigan Proposals and the NOV 7th vote

Michigan Proposals and the NOV 7th vote

Proposal 6-1
To sum this proposal up it's basically asking if you believe that money generated from park fees, camping fees, etc. should solely be used for those purposes. Right now the government can "transfer" money from those programs to say highway developments, etc. I for one love our natural resources here in Michigan, and we need to preserve them or enhancement, providing money to these departments are needed and shouldn't be tampered with.

I'm voting yes on 6-1 to keep those funds in the respected departments.

Proposal 6-2
This is the affirmative action ban, basically it stats that institutions cannot use affirmative action programs that allow special treatments to minorities.

I've never supported affirmative action so I'm voting yes to ban the use of it.

Proposal 6-3
This ones almost a no-brainier. It covers the hunting of Doves and sets up guidelines and restrictions for dove hunting. This is to authorize the Natural Resources Commission to establish a hunting season for doves.

I'll be voting yes to support this type of hunting and allow it to be governed.

Proposal 6-4
This proposal is to prohibit the government from taking property by eminent domain for private purposes. The overall theory here is to stop the government for taking your property then selling it off to a corporation to build a plant or something. It also states that the government has to show its for public use only.

Again no-brainier I'll be voting yes on this one as well.

Proposal 6-5
Ok this ones a bit tougher, it covers the Mandatory School funding levels. Basically it would increase school funding by $565 million, and require annual funding increases equal to the rate of inflation for public schools, middle schools, colleges and higher education. The state would have to cover and deficiencies from the general fund as well. Base funding for schools with a declining enrollment on a 3 year average. reduce and cap retirement fund contribution paid by public schools colleges and universities, and shift remaining portion to state. The big one here is that it will reduce funding gaps between school districts receiving basic per-student foundation allowances and those receiving max foundation allowance.

For me, anymore money given to the schools is a good thing, and I think all schools regardless or where you live should be fair and even, so I'm supporting this one too, I'll be voting yes on 6-5.

To sum it up, just vote yes on everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Jen
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Props to you for your vote on 1 & 3.. The anti Dove hunting regulation is being pushed by NON-Michigan animals rights groups (mostly based out of California) who know nothing else of Michigan issues or the impact of the hunting on this states economy....Just another group of tree huggin patty cakers looking to cram their do-gooder views down peoples throats...

I have my YES ON 3 signs in my front yard.....

If by any chance your an avid hunter or outdoorsman (I mean person for those lady hunters on here), then you should log on to michigan-sportsman.com

You will find all kinds of info on Props 1 & 3 and the views of fellow Michigan sportsman on this matter... Not to mention its a great site for hunting discussion and the outdoors... I am on there.. Naturally under the name ChoCha...

Last edited by ChoCha; 11-01-2006 at 10:20 AM.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Yep I'm an avid hunter, I lean more towards bow hunting and gun hunting deer along with Goose hunting, but really that's about it. Not much fishing or anything.

I'll check it out, thanks.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 AM

I agree with you on all of them except prop 5, and that is only because i don't know enough about it to say 'yay' or 'nay'
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jjkGURU
I agree with you on all of them except prop 5, and that is only because i don't know enough about it to say 'yay' or 'nay'
Im with ya...Unless Im reading it wrong it seems as if its saying that for school with decling enrollment (such as Detroit), where the funding is based on headcount, that the remainder of the State would have to pick up their balance of operating cost that they can not cover...

If thats true, that puts no ownership or motivation for that citys government (mayor) to do anything to improve a deteriorating financial/enrollment environment...

I agree schools funding is important, but if the city cant control it, then maybe the state should take over the district or even city once that district relies on state funding to become operational.

Someone correct me if Im reading that wrong
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChoCha

Someone correct me if Im reading that wrong
That's how I read it, and that's why I'm having a hard time with it (and my wife is a public school teacher!)

Kevin
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Prop 5 is going to be used to fund the teacher's pension fund. It will not be used for the classroom or the children in any way.

The worry will be that taxes will need to be raised later on to be able to pay after this money is diverted to the pension fund.

I will not be voting yes on this proposal.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:10 AM

"I'm an avid hunter and im voting NO on 3"

you guys see that commercial?....what a homo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode