Charity Collection for Thanksgiving - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Charity Collection for Thanksgiving

Dear Redline members and friends,

This year, I am putting together a huge food drive for Lighthouse of Oakland. Lighthouse is an organization that helps low income families get back on their feet with donations of food, clothing and education programs. One of their programs, called PATH, provides long-term support to help women achieve self-sufficiency and provides their children with a healthy family environment.

I have a list of food items that Lighthouse will be putting together to make Thanksgiving food baskets to give to these low income families. The items either have to be boxed or canned...no glass containers or frozen items.

List:
Sweet Potatoes (canned)
Stuffing Mix
Cranberry Sauce
Potatoes (instant or canned)
Jello boxes
Muffin Mixes
Canned Fruit
Soup
Pumpkin Pie Filling
Pie Crust Mix
Dessert Items (cake mix, brownie mix, icing, etc)
Canned Vegetables (red, yellow or green)
Evaporated Milk

They will also take any gift of money. To give you a guide, here is what your money will buy:

$15.00 will give a senior a generous basket of food including Thanksgiving Dinner

$25.00 provides a Thanksgiving Dinner for a family of 4.

$50.00 will purchase turkeys for 4 familes.

$100.00 will provide 4 families with an entire Thanksgiving Dinner, including turkeys.

Important: ANY canned or boxed food is accepted. If the items you give are not on the Thanksgiving basket list above, they will be stored in the pantry to feed the homeless throughout the year. They will take any clothing (especially kids clothing and underwear and business type clothing for women so they can be presentable during a job interview), gently used blankets, diapers (any size), cleaning supplies...you name it, they need it! If you're looking for ideas or want to see a complete list, you can view their wish list at this site : http://lighthouseoakland.org/wishlist.htm

Chuck has graciously offered his house as a drop off place for the East siders. My house is the drop off place for the West siders. If you can't make it to either of our houses, we will be collecting stuff at the next meeting. (TBA)

The LAST day to participate in this food drive is November 12th. I will be making a one-time run down to drop off the food and other items at noon. Please drop off all the stuff you are giving at one of the three mentioned places by then!

Note from the Lighthouse Director:

Thank you for your consideration at this time of need. When the Lighthouse family gathers around the table this Thanksgiving, know that each and everyone of us will give a silent prayer of thanks for the many who will come together to help those in need.

Thanks guys for reading this long but important message. If you have any questions please PM me or post. Deadline again is November 12th, NOON.

Jen

Last edited by 636Jen; 10-30-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:19 PM

AWESOME JOB JEN !!

Were doing 2 this year..
(( We always try to do kids wjhen we can they dont deserve some of the crappy things dealt to them ))

We are Doing Make a wish for Thanksgiving
and " adopting " a kid for Christmas..

Hope you have an amazing amount of food donated, if there is anything I can do please turn to us / me !
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sonny! That's awesome that you are doing it too! My friends and I and the neighborhood moms here are going to help the same organization at Christmas...instead of food baskets we are going to donate toys and kid clothes.

Good luck with yours!!

Jen

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 PM

hey jen;

I'll be happy to help; chucks drop off is cool, but if your coming to the party friday, I can give it to you then

Not to many bikers chimin in yet;

let me know

-dave

SHUT UP AND RIDE!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:12 PM

check your pm's

SHUT UP AND RIDE!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Just a heads-up. This coming Sunday is the cut off day....that's just 4 days away. Sadly, there's been no participation so far. Hopefully that will change by Sunday. Thanks again everyone.

Jen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 AM

Sorry to hear no luck so far...

"Pushing forward is always worth the effort, no matter the result"
~~~ S.B.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 636Jen
Just a heads-up. This coming Sunday is the cut off day....that's just 4 days away. Sadly, there's been no participation so far. Hopefully that will change by Sunday. Thanks again everyone.

Jen
Sorry Jen; I have been working some pretty hairy hours; I was plannin g on collecting some stuff for you, but just havent managed the time, and here I am at work again on Sunday morning at 6:30 am............

Hope you get some response

talk at you soon

-Dave

SHUT UP AND RIDE!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Sonny and Dave, thank you for the thoughts. No, unfortunately I didn't receive any responses for this. Patrick and I will be taking what the neighborhood gave and what we donated over to Lighthouse at noon. We are volunteering from 12-3 there to sort food.

Jen
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...00347/0/NEWS09

Patrick is in the article......top left side of the page. Click to enlarge!! (sorry.....have to brag!!)

Of course, I had to buy a few hard copies for his scrap book too! He's in section B of today's paper (Nov 20).

Jen

Last edited by 636Jen; 11-20-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode