Hardpacks.....yay, nay, or gay...... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Hardpacks.....yay, nay, or gay......

http://www.bikehps.com/axio/

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:02 AM

What are you new, those have been around for a while, I know I wouldn't mind having one for carrying my laptop and what not. Kawie has one and I'm sure she'll chime in from work on Monday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

They told me to follow my dreams...Too bad they were all NiGhTmArEs!

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 AM

While they are cool, something to remember is that backpacks are not recommended for use by motorcycle riders by any of the various safety groups.

They want bike riders to use, if they have to, tank bags.

The reason is because a backpack raises the center of gravity by quite a bit and this will affect the handling and safety of the bike.

To these safety orgs, this is unacceptable.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fasterbusa
While they are cool, something to remember is that backpacks are not recommended for use by motorcycle riders by any of the various safety groups.

They want bike riders to use, if they have to, tank bags.

The reason is because a backpack raises the center of gravity by quite a bit and this will affect the handling and safety of the bike.

To these safety orgs, this is unacceptable.
See now I can see the point on that, but I would rather raise the center of gravity then to have the load shift while in a turn and rock the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

They told me to follow my dreams...Too bad they were all NiGhTmArEs!

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:30 PM

I guess it would depend on how much weight you were going to typically carry and how far you were going to ride.

As a general rule, if the weight is on the bike in a tank bag, then you will be less fatigued as you were not carrying the weight on your back and you were not subjected to wind forces such as drag and buffering.

Now, if you only carry 20 pounds and only ride 50 miles or so, that would probably be ok.

100 pounds and going 400 miles at a clip, such as if you were on a trip, then you would have the makings of a possible disaster.

On my Busa, as it is fully faired, it will move alot due to the wind, if you are getting hit from the side. Crossing open areas in high wind, you have to be careful from the sudden wind gusts in these areas.

I know that on my bike, being the size I am, when I used to commute to AA with my 17 inch lappy, you could really feel the effects of the wind on the backpack. It was like adding a sail.

However, if one pays attention when wearing the backpack, it is not really that bad.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:41 AM

I know the MSF points out to carry all the loads as low as possible and within their triangle principal (top of head to front and rear axles)....I've used both backpacks and Givi Hard bags (50 liter) on my RF9 and haven't had too many issues...with hardbags can tend to unweight the front wheel a little but if overloaded but you deal with it.....I would think the biggest issue with the backpack would be something to land on when/if you fall....

I've got a tank bag that's pretty much a permanent attachment to my bike and use it extensively with work stuff. Planners, prints, etc fit no problem...a bigger bag should handle a laptop ok too....There's always the bungee net to strap the backpack/laptop case to the rear seat as well....all work ok if done right.....personally certified to WAY more MPH than necessary....

Justin
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 AM

As you say.
However, I would think that carrying a lappy in either a tank bag or a tail bag would be asking for problems.
In a backpack (properly designed for carrying lappys) the verticle forces would be operating against the bottom edge of the laptop and would minimize the effect of that force. One of the strongest areas of the laptop would be the edges, when stood vertically.

When laid down, either screen up or screen down, all of the vertical force would be acting on the large surface and exposing the screen to posible damage.

Generally, the human body acts very well as a shock absorbing structure and when on a motorcycle, the major force component to worry about would be the vertical one. The body of the rider would protect the computer from the impact of the horizontal force component (unless an accident occured, something not dealt with herein).

just my
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:37 PM

I've never used one.. but I think they look really cool!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:33 AM

I have the axio swift hardpack (axio-usa.com) and it has it's pros and cons.

Pros:
It's cool looking
It's a lot easier to care my books in than a tank bag
The zippers are more industrial so they don't tear while your riding like a few of the regular back packs did.

Cons:
If your going to do long trips it's still going to hurt your shoulders
How there designed is better for books or a laptop, not clothes or shoes for an over night stay.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

"What are you new, those have been around for a while...."
Um....married, with children......more than one hobby....ect......

I actually have too many backpacks already.
One full of mountianbike daypack gear,
One for my dunebuggy,
One for one of my two jeeps,
One for work, with work related stuff.
Two for work and home, which I alternate depending on what I want for reading material, Maxim mags, Bike mags, Jeep mags, other bs, music, bills, projects, or my child's school activites/homework.

My thoughts on Hardpacks...
Possibly unsafe for rider during a crash, a little too trendy for me,
How much my back might hurt during rides of any distance with more than ten pounds in one,..."and I have no back problems thus far..." since I know how much pounds adds up for long rides in your ass and back, like backpacking or carrying infants,
and the thoughts of how much more money I'll need to spend when the fad hits public schools if it does.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode