2 bikes in the back of a truck - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

2 bikes in the back of a truck

Ok I've seen it done before once or twice. Someone squeezing 2 sportbikes into the back of a full size short box pickup. So the question is, how do you do it? Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid

Send a message via AIM to 1badr6
I have tons of exp with this.

Basically you more than likely have a bed liner, if its a new truck, there will be square plastic cut outs if you have never used them, take a knife and cut those out and the hooks will be behind this.

For putting in the bakc of a truck a canyon dancer is nice.

If you don't wrap your strap around you lower tripple tree left side (left bike) and hook that down.

Make sure you have both bikes in before tieing down because you will need to run the right strap (left bike) through the front rim because of clearance.

Attach the right bike the same way left strap down into the right cut out hole, and the left strap through the left bikes rim and to that anchor point.

Or if you dont' mind putting in 1 eye bolt int he direct center of the truck like i did, its very easy.

If you go under the struck follow the frame, there will be a beam that goes all the way across the truck, and it should have a few holes in it, well there should be 1 in the direct middle, this beam should be 3"x5" i believe, and get a drill and a bit a drill upward through the bed liner and bed very thin, shoudl take no more than 5 seconds of drilling. Then get a long enough eye bolt and put it through and get a few washers for the top and bottom, and a nut with nylon locking on it, and then you have 2 outer mounting points and an inner.

Works much better this way.

O BTW don't use the rectangle holes on top of the bed, i see tons of people do this and brake or crumple the bed up at the top

Its not strong enough

-Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R6 AE
1969 Firebird
1996 Dodge Dakota (work truck)

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Dad

I put in two all of the time. 2003 Ford F-150, styleside bed. I load them myself using the engine and first gear but walking on the bike's left, kickstand and shifter side.

I have a double wide ramp and load the right one first, placing the front tire in the grooves in the bed, using the grooves to help stability, like wheel chocks. I use Canyon Dancers on the bars and one tie down on the right to the bed's tie point in the lower front corner and the left one forward to the lip on the bed, looping it in a "U" through the Canyon Dancer loop and hooking both ends of the tie down to the bed. Tie the front of the bike in its final position, upright with the tubes compressed about half travel. If necessary, now bounce the rear over to the right to final position.

Loading the second bike, I still walk up the ramp to bike's left, driving the bike up the ramp's right, but as I get to the top, turn it to clear the first bike getting the front wheel positioned in the bed grooves. The rear will still be angled to the right. This allows room for the side stand to be used until the front is tied and the bike is upright. Tie the front in the same style as the first (but reverse tie points) then bounce the rear over left after the front is tied.

At the rear, I then run a tie down from each of the bed's two rear tie brackets up to the respective bike's nearest rear peg mount bracket and pull it down. That's one for each bike.

Then, I run a second tie down from each of those same rear bed tie points, up and through the rear peg bracket of each of the nearest bikes, through the opposite peg bracket and on to the second bike's untied peg bracket. Pull each tight as the second, opposing tie for each bike. It has both bikes tied at four points so that the loss of any one tie on a bike won't cause the bike to tip.

On mine, the rear gate just closes, actually contacting the rear tire of the longest wheelbase bike. If yours is any shorter or the bike any longer, the rear gate may have to be left down. The ramp folds in half and slides up the middle laying flat, just fitting between the two bike's tires.

Hope that description's useable. It's hard to verbally describe what's easy to understand if you saw it done.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:07 AM

Looks like you already got the answers you need.

Just one thing to note... dont use canyon dancers on bikes that dont have clipons... ie ones that DO have standard handle bars... they will bend.

Happened to a few friends before I even attempted to do it with my ZRX. Glad I didnt have to learn first hand.

Oh, something else to add... if you have a smaller truck, its something easier to load one in frontways and one in backwards.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

No wheel chocks then right? Or it probably wouldn't work. I have a bedliner but I friggin hate it, gonna ditch it for a spray in. I know where the hooks are I use them all the time hauling the one bike in the truck...but wasn't sure about 2. Next time you guys end up doing it can you shoot me a few pics of how it looks? In this case it would probably be worth a thousand words. Anyway...thanks for the info!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Dad

My truck has a spray in liner. Excellent bite, wet or dry. Very durable, too. Use the ridges in the bed as tracks. They're sufficient to keep things still. A plastic liner might actually be trouble in the wet.

I became a track coach this year with Team Pro-Motion going to several tracks a week and as such I'm hauling two bikes continuously, all summer long. I just described how I'm doing it. What I'm putting up is an EX-500 and a 636.

I would take pictures but don't do digital pics. I'm technically challenged..... or liberated, depending on the moment.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
here's you a drawing...

okay - basically you're gonna use the two factory tiedown points at the front of the bed and 6 tiedowns.
hook the inner ties under the front of the bed - there's a little lip that will hold the hook. now secure those tie downs by attaching another tiedown from the opposing anchor point to keep it from 'walking' on you. the two inner tiedowns should cross eachother. it also helps if you have a buddy there to help you out

E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2bikes.jpg (33.0 KB, 86 views)

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

btw here's a pic of the two loaded BUT it's a side shot don't really help like his drawing

E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2bikesintruck.jpg (496.1 KB, 82 views)

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamRyder
here's you a drawing...

okay - basically you're gonna use the two factory tiedown points at the front of the bed and 6 tiedowns.
hook the inner ties under the front of the bed - there's a little lip that will hold the hook. now secure those tie downs by attaching another tiedown from the opposing anchor point to keep it from 'walking' on you. the two inner tiedowns should cross eachother. it also helps if you have a buddy there to help you out

E.
I've done this a few times. Like 1badr6, I've run a strap through the front rim of the other bike, and usually have some interference with the front fender and the strap.

E, I'm curious what your red and blue lines signify. Where do you hook your inner lines from the handlebars? Can you try to explain it in a different way?

Make sure you retract your kickstand before tightening down on the straps to much! The kickstand WILL dent the bed or break your plastic liner if you forget.

Kevin
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Quote:
Originally posted by 919rider
I've done this a few times. Like 1badr6, I've run a strap through the front rim of the other bike, and usually have some interference with the front fender and the strap.

E, I'm curious what your red and blue lines signify. Where do you hook your inner lines from the handlebars? Can you try to explain it in a different way?

Make sure you retract your kickstand before tightening down on the straps to much! The kickstand WILL dent the bed or break your plastic liner if you forget.

Kevin
the lines were the tie down straps.. and it wasn't my drawing.. a fellow trackday junkie had posted that up on another forum answering the same question Bluto had asked so I figured I'd share his answer and his drawing here

from reading his description and following the image it sounded like the inner bar straps when to center of the bed to hook on the lip of the bed then another tie down strap hooked to it going to outside of bed to keep the strap from sliding the other way...

he sould have used a different color for EACH tie down used.. the red lines are actually 2 straps and the blue lines are actually 2 straps... but if you have one that is long enough to go the entire length and a hook to run it through centered in your bed you could do it the same way...

I've seen it done at hte track and it's a great way to secure them tight!
E.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode