It pays to be friendly.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

It pays to be friendly....

So today I come into work and say hi to the lady that refills the candy machines and what not. I usually say hi to her so for me it's an average day. Well at lunch time I wanted a coffee and she was there so being nice in return she stopped me, opened the machine up and flipped it to free. I got a free coffee, not a big deal but that got me thinking. It seems like if you even bother to be nice, you'll eventually get paid back for it, call it karma, call it whatever you wish but I've found being friendly pays off. I'm not quite sure why it hit me today, but it did. I look back at times when I got pulled over and simple being friendly, or respectable made a huge difference whether I got a ticket or not, or even how the officer handled the situation. This applies to several other things too throughout my life. Being friendly with an office clerk one time she removed some finance charges that I was ready to scream about, so by simply being polite about the situation solved it before I lost my cool. Or other times at 7-11 where the ladies rarely charged me for coffee because they knew me so well and I actually stopped to say hi and talk for a minute or two. I see so many people so ready to scream and loose it today, I almost have to laugh about how fast there ready to loose it. For some insane reason people can't be bothered to take that extra minute and say something polite to your local party store guy, or maybe the gas station attendant, or the waitress, or even the bill collector. For some reason it adds up and perhaps when least expected it will pay off. So my words of advice here are to always be polite and for once maybe open your mouth to say something nice like "Hi, how's your day?" Trust me, it does make a difference. For me, it's nice to see others smile from my simple effort, call it a cheap thrill, but at least I know that person will value me more in the long run over the person that can't be bothered.

So, out of curiosity, what have others gotten for "Free" from just being nice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM

sounds like you could turn this into to a "My Name is Earl" episode.
Give Carson Daly a call and see what he thinks
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Friendly is as friendly does

Nice post. Totally agree too.

You know what I noticed a while back? NOBODY treats fast food workers with any respect whatsover. You stand in line, they ask "Can I help you?", and the average customer steps forward and immediately starts dictacting their order, something like "Yeah, give me a ....." or "I'll have a....."
You will never hear the customer say "thank you", "good morning", "how are you doing", "have a nice day", not usually even a simple "hello". NOTHING. Next time you're at McD's or whatever, observe it yourself- you'll see I'm right.

Anyway, I always make it a point to say something nice to these people, and pretty much all the people I come across in my daily life. It doesn't take a whole lot of extra effort and if everybody did the same maybe the world would be just a tiny bit better.

Last edited by zxrider; 10-18-2006 at 07:44 AM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 PM

Re: Friendly is as friendly does

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
...It doesn't take a whole lot of extra effort and if everybody did the same maybe the world would be just a tiny bit better.
That's just it. Too many people these days think it IS too much effort. They're so engrossed in their own pitiful life, they don't stop to think that, by brightening someone else's life, it may just reflect on their own.

I'm polite and exchange niceties with just about everyone I encounter in my day.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Yep your exactly right. People should ask themselves why they don't get complimented for say dressing nice or having their hair done up. Perhaps if they tried making a nice comment to someone they would get on in return. Everyone likes to be told they look good or something, it makes you feel better about yourself and will definitely make you smile.

+1 on the fast food joints, those poor workers have it handed to them daily.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Re: Re: Friendly is as friendly does

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
That's just it. Too many people these days think it IS too much effort. They're so engrossed in their own pitiful life, they don't stop to think that, by brightening someone else's life, it may just reflect on their own.

I'm polite and exchange niceties with just about everyone I encounter in my day.
X2
Too many people only care about their own world only.

Life is too short to put stress upon other people over anything, nomatter if you are having a good day or bad, or if something on a corporate scale pissed you off.
Like the gas station attendants that need to listen to customers yell at them.
They are just the little indian, employee. Not their fault. They have a low enough paying job as it is.
they dont need the aggravation. They need a smile.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM

As a general rule I try not to be rude to people. I even try to do so with people I don't like.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:44 PM

I'm in agreement with everything above. At my job, I hang around an extra while, just to wait on someone to get in so I can help them get fueled and put a plane away, especially when the weathers down(which makes it suck even more), but these are things that I have gotten some kind of return out of one way or another.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 06:57 AM

I agree! Too many people don't take a few extra seconds to say somthing nice. If you go down South anywhere... Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolina's..ect. The people are so nice.. they earnestly want to know all about you. "where you from... Michigan.. wow.. Welcome to Georgia!" It really makes your day.. and it's such a simple concept.

Good post!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Friendly is as friendly does

Quote:
Originally posted by Duner

They are just the little indian, employee. Not their fault.
im sorry...but did you just call every gas station attendant a "little indian"?!?!? LOL wow, i dont know what you meant by that, but it sounded baaaaad. im not one to talk, cause im one of the most intolerant people around...but not on public message boards!
Attached Images
File Type: gif ese.gif (419 Bytes, 77 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode