Wow did I ever Dodge a bullet, this time more than one.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Wow did I ever Dodge a bullet, this time more than one....

I was told to post this as soon as I could..

Man I dodged a bullet on saturday. Here is how the story goes. I borrow my friends bike, cuz i want to go ride, and do a trackday. He says sure, you can borrow it. So I say...cool, i can have a lil fun before the season is over. Well plans change for the track day due to a funeral. So a few of us decide to head up to the drag strip on saturday morning. So we are under way, goin through some twisties, and the lead rider got clocked at 70 coming out of the last one onto the straight. Now it must be our luck, better yet my luck that a cop was sitting a lil ways down the road ....(the only cop we saw all flippin day)...So the cop starts following us, and we come up to a stop sign.... we all stop, and the cop has done nothing at this point other than follow. so the first two of us go after the stop sign, and we dont speed away or anything, and then the cop comes up out of nowhere and pulls me over. This is where it got interesting. He says to me " sorry about the bad news"...so i ask him, what do you mean sir?....now in my excitement to ride (its been 2 months, due to my R6 getting stolen), that i dont even bother to check the plate, or for bike papers....this cop was actually really nice, and i know my attitude was a big factor in his attitude.

he could have cited me for all of the following.

1.) Expired Registration
2.) No Proof of Registration
3.) No Proof of insurance.
4.) Suspended License (which i found out about right then and there...talk about new information that could have been useful a while ago) that would have put me in cuffs and sent me to jail.

What he did cite me for..

1.) Expired Registration Tag.

Everything else he let me off with a warning, and all because i was nice, respectful, and (for my own ass' sake) acting quite sheepish.

After he had made his final decisions, he told me that he liked my attitude and that he wished more people, and im guessing bikers esp., would have that same attitude....see, a smile goes a long way....

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Some days are like this.

A good attitude and a smile goes a long way in many situations, glad you had yours with you.

I am surprised he nailed you for the expired tags on a bike that isn't yours, but maybe things are different where you live. In CA, only the registered owner could get nailed for things like that.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 AM

I had some good Police Karma myself this weekend. Thanks to the State Trooper on US-23 and N. Territorial for cutting a fellow rider a break.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
NOW I know what bike you're talkin about on the other Ubly thread LOL... (laughing at my recollection not your situation)

We were all surprised to see you not be hauled off to jail or at least the bike taken away... glad to see you made it back apparently ok...

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamRyder
NOW I know what bike you're talkin about on the other Ubly thread LOL... (laughing at my recollection not your situation)

We were all surprised to see you not be hauled off to jail or at least the bike taken away... glad to see you made it back apparently ok...

E.

yeah...that dryden cop was the only cop i saw all day....
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:09 AM

More good police karma

Two weeks ago I was on a ride up in the mountains when a cop goes by in the opposite direction as I'm going about 70-80mph in a 40 zone WHILE busting a double yellow line during a pass.

Needless to say, as I saw him hit his lights and turn around, I thought I was pretty much screwed.

I pull over right away, into a wide dirt lot on the side of the road. He didn't have to chase me down at all.

Conversations went pretty much like this:

Officer: Gets out of his car right away and starts walking over
to me. As he walks over, he says "Well I suppose
you know why I pulled you over."

Me: Yeah, passing on that double yellow line I'm sure.
Sorry officer, that was really stupid.

Officer: I appreciate you pulling over right away.
I know you guys like to come up here and tear it up
in the mountains. And I don't have a problem with
that. Just don't do it on this particular road- it's
double yellow all the way into the next town and it's
really dangerous to be passing here.
Today's your lucky day. I don't have my ticket book
with me, so I'm not going to give you one.
Just take it a little easier and be careful out there.

Then, he shakes my hand and drives away. He didn't even bother to check my license/registration/insurance card. Whole event didn't take more than a minute or two. I was stunned but very grateful for my good fortune.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:22 AM

I love cop stories that have happy endings.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 AM

Re: Wow did I ever Dodge a bullet, this time more than one....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_OMC
4.) Suspended License (which i found out about right then and there...talk about new information that could have been useful a while ago) that would have put me in cuffs and sent me to jail.
Care to give this story?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Wow did I ever Dodge a bullet, this time more than one....

Quote:
Originally posted by four_by_ken
Care to give this story?

yeah...apparently there was some sort of reinstatement fee that i had to pay, and no....i was not aware of it....hence the suprise of it all...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 AM

Re: More good police karma

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Then, he shakes my hand and drives away.
odd he shook your hand, most cops will never shake hands with anybody while on duty. never heard of that, honestly, i think there was a thread on this site a while back even that was talking about how cops never shake hands with anyone, and someone who was a cop chimed in and told us why, but i forget. ok, yup theres your useless piece of information for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode