So I was pulled over today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

So I was pulled over today

So I had a State cop following me for 5 miles on M-53 today and no I wasn't speeding. She pulled me over for having "altered my exhaust" and "a radar detector that was obstructing my view." Any one have a link to the state law on the exhaust thing. I mean, what if my stock exhuast fell off and I was too cheap to buy the exhaust from the delearship and just bought one from Murray's Auto? (and no, I didn't do that, just a hypothetical ?)She didn't say my exhaust was loud, she said it was illegal to alter my stock exhaust in any way. I just chuckled at her. I think she was jealous of my license plate.

Anywho, does anyone have a quick link to the exhaust issue? I didn't get a ticket. Flashed her my Fire I.D. and badge. I am just curious to the law. Fawk, I know I am guilty. You can hear my car coming a mile away, but it's for bettter air flow not sound. Got to love turboback exhaust.

Last edited by yamagirl; 07-13-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

hahahaha, I am screwed for both my bike and car.

257.707c Noise limitations; prohibitions.

Sec. 707c.

(1) After April 1, 1978, a motor vehicle shall not be operated or driven on a highway or street if the motor vehicle produces total noise exceeding 1 of the following limits at a distance of 50 feet except as provided in subdivisions (b)(iii) and (c)(iii):

(a) A motor vehicle with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or more, combination vehicle with gross weight or gross vehicle weight ratings of 8,500 pounds or more.

(i) Ninety DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is greater than 35 miles per hour.

(ii) Eighty-six DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is not more than 35 miles per hour.

(iii) Eighty-eight DBA under stationary run-up test.

(b) A motorcycle or a moped:

(i) Eighty-six DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is greater than 35 miles per hour.

(ii) Eighty-two DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is not more than 35 miles per hour.

(iii) Ninety-five DBA under stationary run-up test at 75 inches.

Definitly louder than 90 DBA at speeds greater than 35 mph. That and I am polutting the air. I should get busted.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Aftermarket pipes

Yeah, I think that is generally true of all states. Most aftermarket exhausts come with the fine-print disclaimer "For off-road use only." However, everybody puts them on for street use anyway and the law is rarely enforced. You're actually the first person I've heard of getting pinched for something like this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Did I have the clause in the pre-nup about you having to pay your own traffic tickets? I don't remember.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid

Send a message via AIM to 1badr6
Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyStrike
Did I have the clause in the pre-nup about you having to pay your own traffic tickets? I don't remember.

Only you would think of that............

-Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R6 AE
1969 Firebird
1996 Dodge Dakota (work truck)

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyStrike

Hey, I didn't get a ticket. Why do you think I carry my ID and badge with me?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Re: Aftermarket pipes

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
You're actually the first person I've heard of getting pinched for something like this.
Well it's not the first I've heard. It's another excuse for the POPO to fuck with you. (unless you're winding it out with a D&D race system or something of course) Funny how you can have a harley, run a straight pipe and everything is cool. Put a micron can on a sportbike and they are all over your ass. Radar detector obstructing your view is another bullshit excuse as she reaches for straws to find an excuse to fuck with you.

Situations like these where I hope I can find enough self restraint in myself to not tell the cop to fuck off and stop harrassing me with waste of time bullshit.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:40 PM

She probably just doesn't like ricers!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jjkGURU
She probably just doesn't like ricers!
She's just jealous of my wing.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM
OPP

You can look this up in the Michigan vehicle code book too...

Any non-factory equipment in or near your windshield can be obstructing a view and ticketed. THis includes:
1.) Metro park stickers
2.) Air fresheners
3.) Id badges (to get into work)

Something else isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode