Nitrogen in Tires? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Nitrogen in Tires?

Has anyone done this? I've read that it's better than regular air because the Nitrogen molecules are larger and therefore air doesn't seep out over time. Also, that nitrogen isn't effected by heat or cold so your tire pressure never changes. Do you think that this will catch on and become the norm at the gas stations or do you think it's over rated and hyped up? Is something that only hard riders/racers would do or maybe a good idea for the everyday rider as well? Thoughts on this? Thanks!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:04 PM

seems sig. over rated to me... air is %70 nitrogen anyway, but most riders, esp racers are constantly adjusting tire pressures for given situations, and none of us have nitrogen pumps. the only way it's good is for passenger car tires that you just set and leave for long periods of time.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:30 AM

Well if your filling the tires in your aircraft or your F1 fighter then for the convieniance of having it in a bottle...no compressor to plug in.. less moisture...etc...then it makes sense. For normal everyday people...car tires...or bike tires...it's not something to worry about. If you're tire is going flat every other week, switching to nitrogen isn't going to do anything for you. Even tho your right, Nitrogen is larger than Oxygen. I can see shops making money selling nitrogen filled tires tho. There's certainly nothing wrong with using Nitrogen if you feel the need to.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:04 AM

Might as well call it a scam. Air is mostly nitrogen. The effusion phenomena is related to molecule weight, not size (Since O and N have the same number of orbital shells, they would be the same size) While N2 is slghtly lighter than O2 (28vs32) the difference is pretty negligable. If we were comparing oxygen to helium, the difference would be more sagnificant.
Furthermore, nitrogen, being a gas, obeys gas laws. Thus it increases pressure with temperature the same as any other gas.

There are however, some mild benefits from nitrogen. It is a stable gas, and will not corrode the rim (But yours is still powdercoated right? so it shouldnt make a difference). And nitrogen is dry, not carrying any moisture. The moisture in air well dew inside the tire, throwing the balance off slightly (and I do mean very, very slightly). Its a usefull trick in racing where every bit counts, but a complete waste of money for street/trackdays.
Even in racing, nitrogen is primarily used to run highspeed pneumatic tools, which do not tolorate moisture well (Cant have the impact wratchet fail in the middle of a tire change) Since its already there, why not put it in tires?

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 AM

if you do lose some nitro, you cnat just throw a few pounds of air in there can ya??
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RSWarrior
if you do lose some nitro, you cnat just throw a few pounds of air in there can ya??
Yeah, but then why not fill up with air to begin with?

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 AM

I think I'm gonna put Hydrogen in my tires. It'll be lighter and besides...if I'm going down I'm gonna go down like the hindenburg baby.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluto
I think I'm gonna put Hydrogen in my tires. It'll be lighter and besides...if I'm going down I'm gonna go down like the hindenburg baby.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Or Helium for better wheelies! lol

Jen
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluto

Krypton for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode