Ride to CT through Canada - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Ride to CT through Canada

So here's the deal. I have had a nice engine in my garage looking for a home for a while now. I finally found a full size blazer that needed a new heartbeat and managed to pick it up for $100. Catch is I have to go to Connecticut to get it. I was thinking of riding the bike through Canada and once to CT, renting a Penske truck and putting the Blazer and the bike in the back of the truck and driving back home. Anyone ever attempted that? Also, can anyone recomend good stops along the way? Keep in mind I have just Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday to accomplish this so it will be a marathon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
I've ridden through Canada quite a few times. From here it is BORING until you get to Hamilton and the scenery changes somwhat. Only have gone as far east as Syracuse en route to New York City, so never went as far as connecticut. It can be done, I think it would be a great time. Heck anytime you are on the bike doing a long haul is a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to usmeiners
Route 20

If you get bored riding on 90 through New York I recommend Route 20 (especially through the Finger Lakes area).

Also watch your speed from Massachusetts to Connecticut the troopers are usually there to welcome you to their beautiful state.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

If its a penny for your thoughts and you are putting in your two cents, hey someone's making a penny.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Will customs give you a problem bringin the truck back thru without it being in your name yet? 2 border checkpoints to cross with it so you might wanna look into it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Supafly
Will customs give you a problem bringin the truck back thru without it being in your name yet? 2 border checkpoints to cross with it so you might wanna look into it.
I dont think there's a problem there at all.

I recently went to FL, and took a rental Envoy, from windsor, canada, pulling Clay's trailer with a Michigan Plate on it, towing 2 bikes inside that were owned by two different people than the two in the envoy.

and the border didnt' say anything at all, and I crossed 4 times over 9 days.

as long as you're straight with them... than they're usually pretty kewl.

BTW.. thanks again Clay.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:36 AM

being canadien and coming here frequently you should know its a roll of the dice on what youll get when you pull up to that booth. Either a pass without even looking at your identification or the rubber glove

I would want to eliminate any chance of questioning at the booth to enusre a "no rubber glove" day
just my
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by almightys
being canadien and coming here frequently you should know its a roll of the dice on what youll get when you pull up to that booth. Either a pass without even looking at your identification or the rubber glove

I would want to eliminate any chance of questioning at the booth to enusre a "no rubber glove" day
just my
That is so true! Good way of putting it Steve!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the advice guys. But, it looks like I will not have to ride the bike after all. I have a friend that is going to put his old 1 ton van on the road. I'm really glad. I was really worried about having to put the bike in the back of a truck with a big SUV that could have been not tied town as well as I like. It will just make for a better weekend for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode