I almost felt like a father today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I almost felt like a father today

I'm 19. I have a while till i get the real feeling, but today, I think I think I got close to that proud feeling of seeing your kid blossom.

One of my best friends from highschool called me last night and said he bought a bike. I was so proud of him because he was doing it for the right reasons, you'll know what i'm takling about in the next line

He bought a 1976 Yamaha 360. It ran him 500 bucks, I'm not sure how much of that its worth, but I rode it home for him. Its definitely my first time riding what should have been a starter ibke. its so forgiving, and plain whimpy, but needless to say, I KNOW he'll have a shitload of fun on it for a good while from now.

Well, we got to his house, and went to a part of his subdivision thats still iln development, and his dad and I watched him take his baby steps into teh joys of 2 wheelin. Its a crude bike, and its probably been sitting for a while, but man, I felt like my roses were finally bloomin, ya know? after a few times, he figured out he was stalling because he was starting in second, and he started getting starts right down! Then he turned around in teh street to come back to us. I was scared, first timers takign off, not much clutch control, lofting the front wheel, and turning = bad.... well he made it! after that, he got the starts really well!

Overall, I think it was a very comfy position, and a good starter bike. crude, and probaly terrible for stopping etc, I'm sure he'll be cautious with it, and i'll have teh chance up in lansing next year to watch him get better and better, and pay under 10 bucks for a tank... yay!

thanks for reading. and kawigirl, i thought about you when i wrote this, just because i just read your post, but taking care of kids has its ups and downs... smile and keep on chuggin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:10 AM

It sounds like you are a very good friend! Taking care of kids definitely has it's ups and downs but always more ups than downs. I sometimes feel torn between wanting to shelter them from everything and giving them a long leash and letting them just be kids and figure things out for themselves. I adopted this goal from my highschool and apply it to raising my kids. We need to teach them 'Personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.'

Jen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 AM

just make to teach him about counter steering as soon as possible... lots of rookies don't get that and if he hasn't taken the MSF course, HE SHOULD.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:44 PM

Thats about how I started...on a 83 Yamaha 550 Maxim. If I was lucky it would do 80 downhill with a tail wind. I bought it myself when I was 15 and loved every minute of it, and he should too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:55 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I get this all the time when I'm teaching a class...what a blast to really see someone "get it".

FYI. Take your buddy to a site where the class is offered and have him play on the range. try the sharp turns and cone weaves. If you've ever taken the class you could probably decipher the paint on the ground enough to find the cone weaves and sharp turns without an issue. If you find yourselves feeling cocky...try doing the figure 8's in the box!

Justin
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

I've taken teh class. Thats what I plan on doing, but he took it up to state last night, and I'm still in troy until august. I'll make a trip out there to see how he's doin though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode