Doc and Misha.... Ducati Monster inside - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Doc and Misha.... Ducati Monster inside

Posted from an ad from MSU:

Year: 1997
Asking Price: 3900 OBO
Description: 1997 Ducati Monster M750, 4650 mile, duel exhaust, silver with gold frame. Starts and runs great.

What do you guys think? Misha.. looks familiar hmm? oh man oh man. its either that, or I really like a 93 Honda nighthawk, in the purple blue. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but personally, Brittany and I think both have character, and thats one of the main things we're looking for, for her bike.

Chime in some info, and possible ways to talk him down? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

wtf?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ducati.jpg (263.7 KB, 173 views)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ducati.

It is a great bike, especailly for a starter bike. I know Michelle loves her Monster...Some people will tell you Ducati's aren't worth the money. As a Ducati owner for the last 7 years or so...I'll tell you I love them. There is a certain passion that becomes you when you own one.

Some people would argue that the dollars vs. horsepower is upsidedown. You spend more dollars for less hp. Which is true. If you want a performance race bike...than don't buy this bike. To me and other Ducati enthusiasts, it is not about the horsepower. It is about the passion and enthusiasum of being an owner.

I'd buy that bike...it is still in its infancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 AM
jackdrinker

That bike is WAAAYYYYY!!!!! over priced...
I bought mine back in 03' for $3500
It was a 2000 model with 3,000 miles and it had Ducati clip-on's, tail conversion and the Monster Pipe mode... Oh ya, the rear seat cowl also...
I miss my Monster everyday.... The only time I dont is on the expressway...
Michelle should get those Ducati clip-on's, they make a world of difference...... Oh ya, the Ducati pipe mod is well worth the dollars...

If your looing for a first bike... AND, you want a naked bike, pick up a SV650.... Get it cheap and parts are also cheap.. It will end up on it's side....

Dont buy bike on charm, even more not a Ducati....
Look into a few of the love / hate relationships with them... Ask Doc or Ducati Dan about the bastard year timing belts... I believe the 748 from 2001 is different from every other year and next to impossible to find and get...
Buy something like this when you can truly love and respect it, not a first.... That has Sv650 all over it
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:58 AM

He says "OBO" so make him an offer.

The $2000-$2700 range that Progressive suggests seems pretty low to me though. Maybe that's what Progressive would pay out in a settlement, but you'd be doing unbelievably well to get the seller down to that range for a bike in good condition with a clean title.

I'd agree with DocThee about the reasons to buy a Duc (I've been a Ducatisti since '01). The choice between this and the '93 Nighthawk would be a no-brainer for me.

That said, the Nighthawk would be a cheap indestructable mount that will run forever on almost no maintenance. The Duc will cost more up front and have higher maintenance costs (note: I'm not saying that Ducs are unreliable, just that they cost more to keep on the road than a Honda standard). You've got to decide what's important to you.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM

Looks classy ta me.
I'ts a brand. Like HD or Jeep or Coke, ect.
Just expect to be able to afford the maint.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:28 AM

My bro is right...I love my Ducati and I wouldn't have had it any other way. It's about the passion for riding, the rode, and the bike.

I will say that she needs to be fully aware of the potential costs for riding a Duc, not to mention wanting all of the extras to go with it.

I would also wait until she takes and passes the class. In a worst case senario, she might decide that riding isn't for her at this time. I know a couple of people who couldn't pass the class or once they did, the didn't want to ride.

But hey, you have my number, so give me a call and hopefully she can look at my bike and see what she's getting into.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ducati.

It is a great bike, especailly for a starter bike. I know Michelle loves her Monster...Some people will tell you Ducati's aren't worth the money. As a Ducati owner for the last 7 years or so...I'll tell you I love them. There is a certain passion that becomes you when you own one.

Some people would argue that the dollars vs. horsepower is upsidedown. You spend more dollars for less hp. Which is true. If you want a performance race bike...than don't buy this bike. To me and other Ducati enthusiasts, it is not about the horsepower. It is about the passion and enthusiasum of being an owner.

I'd buy that bike...it is still in its infancy.
instant VIP at the Ducati hospitality tent at AMA Race Events. Nuff said.

Im still just looking for a key LOL
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:47 AM

Like buying a classic like a Black Forest coo coo clock.
At 300 to 3000 bucks, they stop running if the stereo is too high, the air is too dry, too humid, too cold, too hot, low flying planes, ect...lol... but they are famous, beautiful, hand crafted, art.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by almightys
instant VIP at the Ducati hospitality tent at AMA Race Events. Nuff said.

Im still just looking for a key LOL
LOL...I'll give you my spare this year. Mmmmm...free water and sandwiches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode