Dropping the front end - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
Dropping the front end

I've got a question about doing some work on my front end. It seems no one is hanging out in the How Do I section so I'll redirect it here (where I should have posted in the first place)...

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=59050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM

sounds like you are in desperate need of tools. Go buy a 3/8 drive allen set and a torque wrench. They'll be life savers, allows me to torque most of the bolts on my bike. Anyway, what kind of stands do you have? a fork lift is ok for removing wheels but bad if you want to do any sort of work to the front end. Anyway, sounds like have it all pretty much covered, but the right set of tools makes all the difference. ESP when it comes to stuff like allen wrenches.

what size allen wrenches are you using? I've got 5 allen sockets and 4 torque wrenches laying around... plus a bunch of oddly sized sized sockets if you want to borrow some.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sodamninsane
sounds like you are in desperate need of tools. Go buy a 3/8 drive allen set and a torque wrench. They'll be life savers, allows me to torque most of the bolts on my bike. Anyway, what kind of stands do you have? a fork lift is ok for removing wheels but bad if you want to do any sort of work to the front end. Anyway, sounds like have it all pretty much covered, but the right set of tools makes all the difference. ESP when it comes to stuff like allen wrenches.

what size allen wrenches are you using? I've got 5 allen sockets and 4 torque wrenches laying around... plus a bunch of oddly sized sized sockets if you want to borrow some.
12 and 14mm wrenches... 3/8 drive allen set is that like the 1/2 inch sockets except for being allen heads...?

yeah im kinda strapped for cash at the moment so I dont want to be buying to many tools... just paid my 620 insurance payment and motorcycle is due not too long from now

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you already drop the whole bike? What's the sense in dropping the front end all over again?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:42 PM

yeah a 3/8 drive allen set is like normal sockets but with allen heads... 3/8" is the socket driver size... common ones are 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"... and if you work on semis you usually use a 3/4" drive ratchet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JesterRR
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you already drop the whole bike? What's the sense in dropping the front end all over again?
hahaha nice lol Jester

k thanks sodamninsane whats a good place to pick 'em up from online places or like sears looking for cheap quality lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xboxdynasty
hahaha nice lol Jester

k thanks sodamninsane whats a good place to pick 'em up from online places or like sears looking for cheap quality lol
i told you to go to MR O'tools on vandyke and get them over a month ago???
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM

lol. sears has decent stuff... but damn those sizes are expensive. I think a 14mm allen is like 17 bucks. craftsmans are ok but the only reason they replace them for free is because you will break them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
yeah im kinda strapped for cash at the moment so I dont want to be buying to many tools
Couple of questions,

#1, why do you want to drop the front end.

#2, I live near 16 and Groesbeck I'd be more than happy to let you use my tool (smirk) and help you do it, if you bring it over.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:55 AM

Quote:
hahaha nice lol Jester

HARBOR FREIGHT, 15 and Groesbeck

it doesn't get any cheaper than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode