Help? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Help?

Yesterday while merging onto I-75 there was yellow paint on a good portion of the entrance ramp, as in couldn't be avoided.

Well, I now have yellow paint in the wheel wells of my 2004 malibu and was wondering if anybody had suggestions how to get it off.

My dad tried some paint thinner, but you would be there for a LONG time and using A LOT of paint thinner for it to even work.

Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:42 AM

Paint over it. Seriously, if the paint has adhered to the wheel wells (sounds like it has, since thinner didn't remove it easily) it will be very difficult to remove.

Or you could just drive down a few dirt roads.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shasta mcnasty
Paint over it. Seriously, if the paint has adhered to the wheel wells (sounds like it has, since thinner didn't remove it easily) it will be very difficult to remove.

+2...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:49 AM

is this on your paint job? or is it in the black plastic part of the wheel wells??? Because if it's no on the paint job, just sad the crap off... if it is on the paint job you could just scuff sand it with like 1000 grit or 2000 grit and reclear the body.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Have you tried a rough scratch remover compound? I've use it before to remove off color paint from my car. It's not the easiest way in the world to remove it, but it will take off anything without a clear coat on it. Don't use a buffer with it though, it wont come off as easily if you do. Just put alot of elbow greese into it and use a cotton rag since they have a minor courseness to them.

Good luck
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 12:33 PM

if it is just in the plastic inner fenderwell.....just drive. It will not be there for long......the rocks and crap you toss up will beat it off there....if it is on your paint....that is different
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I did have little splatters on my paint, but I got that off no problem. It is on the inner wheel wells, the plastic part. It almost looks like a custom paint job gone wrong LoL To be honest, it's not just a little bit. It's on my front AND back passenger and some on my front and back drivers side. I'll try the rough scratch remover compound.

It just looks really bad.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 02:03 PM

scuff it up with some 600 grit, go to murrays, meijer, or anywhere else and get flat black krylon fusion... put the car up on jacks, remove the wheels, tape off the drive train components (brakes, a-arms, etc) tape off the painted part of the body and cover the area with newspaper or something else to keep overspray from getting on the car... spray that sucker up. it'll look better than new...

otherwise just sand it. rubbing compounds don't work very well on unpainted plastic.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

so yeah, the whole sanding it thing didn't work.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 PM

Use acetone, it'll come right off, just don't get any on your paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode