Boy, the BS is flowing this week. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Boy, the BS is flowing this week.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/15/scotus.search.ap/

Um, I didn't know they were cops, I thought they were Burglars, so I blew every one away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:39 PM

bah, CNN and their bush bashing. What the court ruled on, was that if police barge in without a warning (or in the case with only a few seconds warning), but with a warrant, it is not enough to get the evidence dismissed.

"Yeah, I had some coke and a few guns, but since they didnt knock no one can punish me for it"

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Which only tells them they don't have to.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 PM

You know the problem here is that there will be abuses made on the part of the PD. There WILL be innocent people barged in upon. I realize that this may be a necessary ruling and I understand why, but I am afraid that too many times it will be put to bad use.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:22 PM

I'd see your point, if it wasnt for the warrant requirment.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I'd see your point, if it wasnt for the warrant requirment.
Cause warrants are always accurate, and never have, let's say, the wrong address or something on them
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM

you're right, the risk of a wrong adress being busted is well worth letting all sorts of people walk free.

Its like the miranda rights bullshit. cant arrest people unless you tell them they can remain silent...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
you're right, the risk of a wrong adress being busted is well worth letting all sorts of people walk free.

Its like the miranda rights bullshit. cant arrest people unless you tell them they can remain silent...
I agree with the problem, I don't agree with the solution.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM

I think you are over simplifying things, or at least, I hope so. Just because the evidence is admisable, does not mean that the cops are free to bust in. After all there are still other punishments for violating policy, that dont involve letting criminals walk free. Its up to the departments to write comprehensive policies to cover that.

After all, how often would barging into a place without knocking be a usefull tactic? Sure, in some cases, but I'm sure the officers are well aware of the risk of getting shot.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Case in point

Quote:
Several years ago this very situation happened in Denver. Somehow, Denver PD has been able to conduct "no-knock" raids for quite some time. In this case, they DID have the wrong address, busted into the house of an innocent man (father of 9) and shot him to death after he drew a weapon.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...shooting.shtml

How many of you can claim that you wouldn't do exactly the same thing? If someone comes breaking into my house in the middle of the night, you can damn well bet that my very first reaction will be to go for my gun and protect my family.

Incidentally, the Chief of Police ended up resigning over the fallout and the city settled out of court with the slain man's family for a very tidy sum.

In my opinion, this ruling is bound to create more situations just like this one. More importantly, on principle, it further erodes the personal freedoms on which our country and way of life are founded.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. "
-James Madison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode