Where the police are located - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Where the police are located

This is a link to the Michigan government page. It lists the location of the police during the month. Each month, just go back and look at the next time period you are interested in and you can see where they are and what they are doing. In some areas, they even post the roads they are on and the times they are there.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/JU...B_161325_7.xls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Interesting...this MSP only, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

No, this is for all of the police agencies in the state.
The link is an Excel spreadsheet and lists, by county, what each copshop is doing and where.

The state site says they post this info so that people will know they are out and about doing alcohol stops, seat belt checks and so on, as well as speeding and the usual.

In some of the countys, they actually say what road they will be on and at what time.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
that's funny considerin they wanna catch you by surprise but yet they publisize their locations LOL

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:01 AM
jackdrinker

IMO, it's not to catch you by surprise, BUT, rather police by known presence... Think of how many times you were hauling ass and realized that the area is a known speed area.. You slow down...
This happens all the time on 696 west just after I-75, I see them every night of the week...

All these post by police kill me... We need the police, plain and simple.. I have been caught doing stupid shit and paid the price, have also been stopped for no good reason and paid the price..
You take the good with the bad... You like the area you live, thank the police... Get caught speeding, you jackass, pay the price.. What would your area be like without the police?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:05 AM

It allows them to be in speed traps. Since the post publicly where they will be you can not claim it was a speed trap.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Can-o-worms coming LOL

Making it known for a particular watch area is limiting in controling speeding: yeah you slow down THERE because you know cops hang out or partrol it but then you're right back to speeding again once you leave that known area... so it's not really a successful method of reducing speeding in general - in my opinion... surprise locations are better...

Speed traps being unlawful unless publically made aware of or in plain sight: THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST STUPID THINGS THERE IS! come on... why the hell can't they hide somewhere and nail ya flying by without having to worry about if you'd seem them in advance or not??? entrampment was created by high dollar lawyers and should be thrown out the window .. how else can you reduce folks speeding EVERYWHERE without making it seem like a cop could be hiding right around the corner and you not know it so you better keep your speed in check...?

now that I've said those things.. I'M JUST AS GUILTY AS THE NEXT FOR SPEEDING IN "SAFE AREAS"... safe as in both unoccupied roads and areas not normally patrolled for speeders.... BUT if I get caught and get a ticket I deal with it and pay for it ... knowing that I have a pretty good idea of where they patrol I'm more tempted to speed... now if I have no idea I dont' speed cuz I don't wanna take that chance..

now if they were allowed to hide anywhere and be unsighted till I was right up on them - I'd sure as hell not take the chance and keep my speed in check... as well as if the penalties were harsher for speeding I'd not be as apt to do it.. yeah the insurance rates may go up IF they discover it.. but the ticket price is not harsh enough to deter me (apparently)

Just like when they use to temp folks to do something wrong ... like stealing... all of a sudden they can't do that cuz it's entrampment.. screw that.. just cus someone put money on a counter and walked out without a receipt don't mean you have the right to pocket it.. by gosh stealing is stealing whether someone tempted you or not... same for speeding.. just cause they caught you when you least expected it dont' mean you weren't speeding and don't deserve a ticket...

NOW what I find hilarious is that most officers will allow 10 - 15 mph leway for speeding... so what do we do...?? hold our speeds at just that.. what we feel we can get away with without getting pulled over LOL.. so what is the sense in having a posted speed LIMIT of XX if it's not going to be enforced to that limit.

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 AM

in rebuttal:

a) the purpose of police officers is not to catch the speeding people, their purpose is to protect people. The more people they can get to slow down, the better they did their job. i do not agree with the surprise thing, thats why most of the time you see officers chilling in the middle of the highway in plain sight, their job is to get people to slow down, not to slap as many speeders with citations as they can. and think about if they do go pull someone over, they now are not in plain sight of both sides of the highways, and most likely on the other side people will start speeding up agian, therefore they are not not a traffic control device while issuing a citation (only on the side of the road where they area, and we all know the traffic jams that come from someone being pulled over). sometimes you see police hiding, but more often you see them in plain sight, just because all they are doing is getting everyone to slow down.

b) heres my theory on posted speed limit - everyone knows people are going to cruise at 5-10mph over, people love speeding and hate authority, well most people. first of all you get to where you are going faster, you feel rebellious and dangerous, and you get a better rush driving faster. so i believe that speed limits are always made to allow for the "tolerance" of people to drive 5-10 over. because if the speed limit was increased to 80, people would now cruise at 85-90, just normal people not speeders (like myself, i wont lie i fly everywhere). so i honestly think speed limits (expressway, not other roads) are made to assume people will speed, and if some people dont then they are even safer (even though 70 or 80 mph wouldnt make a hug difference in a crash)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:43 AM

"most of the time you see officers chilling in the middle of the highway in plain sight, their job is to get people to slow down, not to slap as many speeders with citations as they can...."

Unless you drive thru Washington/Romeo on Van dyke freeway......

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:37 AM

I got this line of logic out of a car and driver. Basicly it can be summed up in saying that we are a democracy, and when majority of the people speed 10mph over the posted limit, they are essentially voting to increase the speed limit.
Now obviously, there are some flaws. We are a democratic republic which changes things. And even if we werent there is still the official way of changing the posted speed limit. Yet in a way I suspect most cops realize the original line of logic and thus choose not to enforce average speeding violations.
I've read multiple times, that in places with no posted speed limit, most drivers average 80-90mph. Faster than that requires more concentration than the average driver is willing to give. With cars and tires much safer than they were when the speed limit was established, I personally see little harm in raising the speed limit to what the average driver seems to assume to be reasonable. After all if traffic normally flows at 10mph over, then there will be no increase in accident rates if we simply increase the limit to match actual conditions. Otherwise, the limit becomes unenforced, and thus irrelevant.

Here in texas, speed traps are perfectly legal. And along with others here, I see no reason for them not to be. The idea of entrapment is a good one in other circumstances (We cant have DEA agents tempting people to buy crack only to arrest them later, what if that was a first time user?) however I really dont see how it applies to speed traps. Now if a cop was to pull up beside you at the light, asked if you wanted to race, and then give you a ticket for it, yeah, but just because he is not in plain site by no means invites anyone to speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode