Commuting in this weather - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Commuting in this weather: Gear advice needed

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me for riding gear for this kind of weather.

It's been getting a wee bit chilly in the mornings this week, and it's making my choice of riding gear for commuting a little difficult. With 40+ mpg, it's been worth it to suffer the chilly mornings in the low-50s, but I figure there's got to be a better (i.e. more comfortable) way.

I've been wearing a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 jacket with the liner in the morning, and if it's nice enough, zipping out the liner for the ride home.

For the pants, I've been eyeing the Ballistic pants or the Alter Ego pants. (Rec. Liesure has both listed on Ebay for what seem like reasonable prices) Correct me if I'm wrong, but both have a zip-out waterproof liner, correct? Any significant differences between them?

Also, any alternates, tips, or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks, gang!

-Joe

edit: Forgot to mention.... I also want a pant that zips up the side. I don't want to have to change outfits to ride. I'm looking for something I can zip over my work pants.

Last edited by gijoecam; 06-14-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 AM

if you think mid to low 50's are cold then dont come to maine you wont like it.
i ride as soon as it hits 30 here just dress for it , look for pants that go over your other pants and enjoy the season.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:07 AM

Under Armour is good to wear under your clothes. You can get both cold and heat gear. You can pick it up at Dick's Sporting Goods.

http://www.underarmour.com/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 AM

I rode into work today for the first time and it was a bit chilly. I think I'll stop off and get some under armor for tomorrow's ride. Today was the best ride to work I have ever had...maybe because I was on two wheels instead of four.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
In cold weather, I usually wear a leather jacket with liner and underarmour underneath my shirts and pants. The only time I wear riding pants is for long trips. But when I ride in cold weather it is for the ride, not a commute. I know X1_Solo the last time we had a ride he wore leather chaps. He looked like a clown, but i guess he was warm. LOL

I then wear a balaclava under my helmet. I get made fun of...but let me tell you how warm it makes you. A Balaclava is a thin pull-over head and neck cover with eye slits for winter usage under a motorcycle helmet. It has a thin layer of fleece to rest on your shoulders. That keeps the warmth in and the cold air out. There are many types of balaclava's out there, mine is specifically made for motorcycles with a thin spand-ex like material for your head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee

I then wear a balaclava under my helmet. I get made fun of...but let me tell you how warm it makes you. A Balaclava is a thin pull-over head and neck cover with eye slits for winter usage under a motorcycle helmet. It has a thin layer of fleece to rest on your shoulders. That keeps the warmth in and the cold air out. There are many types of balaclava's out there, mine is specifically made for motorcycles with a thin spand-ex like material for your head.
yes those are great. Any place that sells snowmobiles will surely have a few versions to choose from. I know Rec Leisure carries these
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Those are great tips for riding in cold weather, but then what do you do on days like this where you need extra layers in the morning, and far fewer layers for the ride home? When it's in the 50s in the morning and in the 80s on the way home, where do I put the extra layers? (I ride a CBR600F4i, so there isn't much in the way of storage for the heavy stuff)

I'll have to look into a balaclava too... I'd love to keep the wind off the neck in the morning, but the problem I usually have with them is that I wear glasses too, and the balaclavas I've seen generally cover the nose and mouth too, so my glasses fog with every breath. If I could find one that covers the chinny-chin-chin, but not the nose and mouth, that would help too.

-Joe
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by gijoecam

I'll have to look into a balaclava too... I'd love to keep the wind off the neck in the morning, but the problem I usually have with them is that I wear glasses too, and the balaclavas I've seen generally cover the nose and mouth too, so my glasses fog with every breath. If I could find one that covers the chinny-chin-chin, but not the nose and mouth, that would help too.

-Joe
The one I have covers my chin and head. It leaves my entire face exposed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gijoecam
Those are great tips for riding in cold weather, but then what do you do on days like this where you need extra layers in the morning, and far fewer layers for the ride home? When it's in the 50s in the morning and in the 80s on the way home, where do I put the extra layers? (I ride a CBR600F4i, so there isn't much in the way of storage for the heavy stuff)

-Joe
I simply use my Leather riding jacket and some long finger mid weight gloves...maybe full gauntlet leather gloves if it's cold enough but the 50's are nothing. I don't know about the 600RR and how much wind protection your hands get but my RF is very good for hand protection so I've been using some joe Rocket textile gloves... The ride home in 80 degree weather isn't bad with the leather either, as long as you can keep moving.... My legs aren't something that tends to get cold so I don't wear any pants besides my work clothes of course...(khakis). On Monday my legs got chilly but I also knew it was temporary so I sucked it up and lived with it....20 miles isn't that far....

Justin
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 AM

Without question, the best thing that I have for those chilly mornings is Aerostich velcro wrap heated grips. The best $45 you'll ever spend on you bike! See here

That bit of heat coming into your fingers is a GREAT luxury! I don't know how I suvived before!

I wear a leather jacket and dockers. Oxtar Matrix boots on my feet, and Alpinestar leather gloves. If its really cold (30's), I'll put on some old leather chaps that I have.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode