Can they do this??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Can they do this???

Monday, June 12, 2006

A California Highway Patrol officer fired at a speeding motorcyclist who refused to pull over Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

It was unclear whether the shot struck the motorcyclist, who got away and was still being sought Sunday night, authorities said.

The incident began at 12:07 p.m. on eastbound Interstate 80 in American Canyon, where a CHP officer clocked two motorcycles speeding at 85 mph, according to CHP spokesman Marvin Williford. The CHP officer began pursuing the riders and attempted to pull over both of them. One, however, exited I-80 at Red Top Road and then re-entered I-80 westbound while the second motorcyclist continued east on I-80.

A second CHP officer was westbound on I-80 and had been monitoring the pursuit. At the Columbus Parkway exit in Vallejo, the officer pulled over a motorcyclist who matched the description of the first fleeing biker. The officer, however, realized he had the wrong biker when he spotted the fleeing motorcyclist coming off Columbus Parkway in his direction, Williford said.

The officer stepped off his bike and waved for the fleeing motorcyclist to stop, but the rider instead accelerated toward the officer and the officer opened fire, Williford said.

The motorcycle swerved away from the officer and continued on Columbus Parkway.

Authorities are searching for a Kawasaki ZX6R 636, silver with black trim, whose driver was wearing a dark helmet, a dark jacket and blue jeans. The motorcycle had no license plate.

Police are also seeking the second motorcycle that continued on east I-80. The motorcycle is described as champagne colored with a paper license plate. Both motorcycles are of the same make and type, possible 2005 or 2006 models.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
...The officer stepped off his bike and waved for the fleeing motorcyclist to stop, but the rider instead accelerated toward the officer and the officer opened fire, Williford said...
Self-defence.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Maybe that was his interpretation of it....I'm sure the guy wouldn't speed AT him.....maybe PAST him?? I still don't think he should have been SHOT at.

Killing someone for going 85??

Jen

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 PM

You're just pissed because the officer shot at the 636
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Yes, they can.

Felony speed.
Felony failure to stop.
Felony fleeing and eluding.
Felony attempted murder of a police officer.

You ride down on a cop standing in front of you signalling you to stop and you do not, you are asking to be killed.

In a civilized society, people obey the law. Our representatives of the law our the police. If you disobey the police, you are asking for it.

If you do not like what the cop says/does, then you seek out an attorney. In Cali, shake a tree and lawyers fall out like coconuts.

Cali has some strick laws concerning speeding as well as other things.

The biker rider is lucky he is not dead.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Ditto on Fasterbusa comments...

to me it's no different than charging at a cop in a car/truck...

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Aus

Quote:
Originally posted by fasterbusa
In Cali, shake a tree and lawyers fall out like coconuts.
Heh heh Webb, that's too funny.

Except if you shake the tree and the attorneys fall out, they'll try and sue the tree! Or you....or the pavement......or the sky. But they have to sue SOMEONE!!

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:37 AM

If the cop thought the bike was coming at him he can shoot.

636 faster than a speeding bullet.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 AM

Technically I think the officer was within his rights, but only by a technicality. Any two bit lawyer would not only get the charges dismissed, but would also walk away with a hefty settlement from the PD. 85 in a 70 is not felony speed, and then it comes down to arguing the interpratation of "coming at him"

I wouldnt be suprised if the officer in question is getting a thorough ass chewing from a long list of superiors after the news article

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 AM

you are talking about felony speed and all that....what it really comes down to is:

did the officer fear for his life at that very moment? and was there any other intervention option available that could have worked?

Any good lawyer will pick this apart and come out with full pockets. Then again, I don't want to judge the officer, its always easier to say what he did wrong after the fact. However at the time it seemed completely reasonable, maybe, just maybe that isn't the whole story.

let the courts work it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode