So I'm gonna need a plastic welder... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
So I'm gonna need a plastic welder...

Hey again...

Missed thursday night for good reason. Yeah it seems I wrecked my bike up pretty good. I already ordered the parts new cover generator, gasket, tailight. I lucked out getting out of the parts bracket for about 100 big ones.

In terms of plastics she's screwed. The fairings are just scratched except for the chunk I took out by the windscreen. A lot of the inner plastics by the dash are broken up so bad I'm not sure I have all the parts. OEM's are out b/c they don't make oem plastics so...

Does anyone have a plastic welder I can borrow? I know I can get away with a sodering iron but I want to get this as clean looking as possible.

As for paint can I just try and color match it or should I start over with a new paint job?

After all this getting high sided seems like small fries next to straightening the forks and throwing on all the new parts. Any advice for the job would be appreciated.

---

Steve I hope you can help with this one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:58 AM

WTF happend? Details? You walking?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:18 AM

yeah man u ok? howd this happen? i know ur a newb, so you probably learned a good lesson whatever happened, right? cause i know i sure did my first year, i wiped bad. dont fret, plus its your first bike, who cares if its beat up you will have a new one in a year or two.

so fill us in, we like crash stories...well not like, but you know what im sayin.

try ebay for plastics, and any other parts you may need. i would then proceed to give it a whole new paint job, and if it were me i would take all the fairings off and use some type of simple spraypaint. reasons being #1 its quick, cheap and easy #2 its an old bike #3 you might drop it again and with spraypaint its an easy color match and easy to fix #4 who cares what your 93 ninja 600 E looks like its not gonna be winnin any shows right? as long as it rides good and looks decent, ur golden for a first bike.

just my and if i were you i would carefully review in your head what happened and how you can prevent it next time you ride.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

lol yeah. I took off hard around a corner and slid out and around. There was a ton of dust on the road from construction that I didn see until its too late. I couldn't ease of the gas fast enough and I got spun around an thrown off backward down a ditch. I messed up my ankle pretty bad. But my gear did even scratch just picked up some dirt clods.

I think I did a few flips on the way down. It must have been a pretty impressive flight, as a lot of people stopped to help making it even more embarassing. The bike laid down and rolled over itslef. I g2g do some drywalling lol. So I'm walking just isn't my first choice of activities. Thank god for pain killers.

More details if I've got time.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Sorry to hear you wrecked. If no one has a plastic welder, I wouldn't spend the $100 they want to buy one. A soldering iron does just as well. If the back side of the broken part isn't visible, tack it in place with the iron and lay some fibre glass over it. Thats what I did with my bike and it looked good. Just remember to lay bondo over the visible portions and push it into the small gaps that will be there. Sand it over until its flush and you won't be able to tell. If you just plastic weld it, I don't think it would hold to well, but fibreglass backing on it helps out alot. Good luck, hope your ankle heals up, and take it easy.

Sepias
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM

I know Lou_Brakant has one, but I haven't got his #, and haven't seen him on this board in a while. He may be on DSR's (Stuntlife) board though as well. Try and get in touch with him or someone here may have more contact info for him
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know exactly what happened. The tuner behinde me was revin his engine and I was like psh... I'll show him. I hit the gas on what happened to be a dusty turn and whoa shit your gone. Lesson learned don't show off when ur ridding on a budget lol.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 PM

it's ok that you didn't learn your lesson b/c you're going to do it again until you're hospitalized. Play it safe out there brother...too many riders are going down already this season.

-=bmacd=-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bmacd
it's ok that you didn't learn your lesson b/c you're going to do it again until you're hospitalized. Play it safe out there brother...too many riders are going down already this season.

-=bmacd=-
what ya mean i didn learn my lesson... I was riding beyond my ability trying to show off taking a turn too hard. how does that mean i didn learn my lesson
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xboxdynasty
what ya mean i didn learn my lesson... I was riding beyond my ability trying to show off taking a turn too hard. how does that mean i didn learn my lesson
You'll do it again. I know exactly where you're coming from...I'm growing out of that phase still myself.

-=bmacd=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode