Attn Dog Owners...Advice Needed! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Question Attn Dog Owners...Advice Needed!

If you guys remember, not too long ago I rescued a Ridgeback/Boxer mix from the K9 Rescue League in Oxford. He is an awesome dog and great with the kids. However, he DIGS in the back yard. I'm not talking small holes either. These holes are big enough to hide an adult body! Someone told me to sprinkle pepper or hot spices over the holes after I filled them back in but he just rolls in it and then digs them back up. Also, when I leave, I can't crate him. I don't understand why. When I got him, he was in a crate for most of the day. When I put him in, he goes crazy trying to get out. One time, I put him in it while I was gone for 4 hours and when I came home, he was sweating, panting and his paws were bloody from trying to get out. If I let him just free in the house, he gets into the garbage or recycle bins. Sometimes he chews up a shoe! Anyway, I love the dog and don't want to get rid of him but I need some suggestions on this behavior! Oh, one more thing....I don't think he was treated very nicely at his old home. If I even look at him wrong he pees all over the place. I can't yell at him for getting into the garbage unless I want to clean up another mess!

Thanks for any help!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:41 AM

I know of a method to deal with holes, but I myself could not use it, even knowing full well it would be effective. It involves filling the hole with water, and giving the dog the impression the he will well be drowned in it (as in actually holding his head in it). This is from the same school of thought that says to take the chewed up shoe and tape it to the dogs mouth in such a way that the dog can still breathe, pant, but will be unable to remove the shoe. Leave for 6 hours or so. I have no doubt that the dog will not touch another shoe for the rest of his life. However I couldnt do any of that to my pooch (I guess I'm not russian enough?).
So my approach (thanks mainerdr!) has been to not let the dog form any bad habits. In other words, make damn sure that there are no shoes around for the dog to eat, ever. When he does get ahold of one scold him some, but keep in mind that its your fault for leaving the shoe there in the first place. For holes, make sure the dog is supervised at all times while outside. Once he grows up he'll loose the desire to dig if he never dug before.
The crate thing can be solved by serving his food in the crate, and letting him get to it volantarily. He'll likely not eat for a few days, but hunger will soon win him over. Also, never use the crate for punishment. Use the bathroom
Depending on the age, the peeing all over the place is pretty normal. They just dont have much control over that when they are young. Most dogs grow out of it just fine.

Side note: If you think dealing with holes is bad, try having a dog knock down a chunk of a cinderblock wall that surrounds the back yard.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 AM

When I was have problems with my dog that I couldn't figure out, I called Bark Buster it pricey but I was amazed at how quickly my dog changed...The guy that came to the house and show us how to train him, had compelete control over the dog with in mins it was amazing.

Do you every catch him doing?

If you want the number to this guy just send me a PM

It works trust me, what he has you do seem strange but it works great...There is no hitting of the dog in any sort of way .

One of the best things is, it is just a one time fee and for the rest of that dogs life they will come out free of charge and help you with any problem that you have with that dog.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 AM

You can also look into a remote shock collar. They aren't the cheapest things in the world, but they work wonders. The dog won't pin the shock on you, but on the action he is doing. I've delt with a dog from hell that you couldn't walk or train to do anything, after a week with the collar it was a whole new dog. It's amazing how fast they can associate the shock to certain actions. The only down side is that you need to catch them in the act in order to correct the issues. With the crate, put him in it for short times while you are home to get him use to it. Also put food and water in there for him. Also make sure he can see you the first few times he is in there. Keep him stimulated with toys or something, try to keep it as a game until he get comfortable. When he starts getting use to it put him in it over night in your bedroom. My sister trained her lab this way, and he chooses to sleep in his crate over anywhere else now. He loves it and goes in volentarily. Make sure you reward going into the age as well.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 AM

jen...what about building a fence and a doggie door to your garage (if you have a garage) and letting him have the choice to be outside or in the garage while you are gone? or get a dog house and leave him outside, then if it rains or he wants to go inside he can go in his doghouse.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 AM

I know this may sound crazy but watch a couple of eps of the Dog Whisperer. It won't make you an expert in dogs but this guy does wonders with dogs. You can pick up a few things about dog behavior. Sounds like your mutt has seperation anxiety. Its kinda like the bad ass kid that gets into trouble to recieve some kind of attention. The best thing I hear for this is to tire the dog out before you leave the house. Play with him excerise, I even seen them put a dog on a treadmill. When you leave the the pup will be so tired out he will sleep all day instead of dig.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

We're not allowed to have any fencing in our yard....subdivision rules. However, we knew that when we moved in...but we didn't have a dog then.

We have a bark collar but it seems cruel to me. Anyone can break a dog's spirit and that's what it seems to do. He just lays there and is afraid to move. My husband uses it and it DOES work but at what cost to the dog? He seems more shy and afraid now.

I would love to have an invisible fence however he barks at the neighbors. It wouldn't be too much of an issue but the people next door are trying to sell their house right now. I'd hate for them to be like, "Oh the house is nice...except for that annoying dog next door." I'd be pissed if I were trying to sell.

Anyway, the remote shock collar seems like a good idea. Maybe shocking him real quick while doing something bad is the best idea yet. Hopefully it will only take a day or two because I have a lot of other things to do besides watch HIM all day!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm open for more! (Please don't tell me to take him to obedient school...I don't have the time for that!!)

Jen
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Karmastuntra
I know this may sound crazy but watch a couple of eps of the Dog Whisperer. It won't make you an expert in dogs but this guy does wonders with dogs. You can pick up a few things about dog behavior. Sounds like your mutt has seperation anxiety. Its kinda like the bad ass kid that gets into trouble to recieve some kind of attention. The best thing I hear for this is to tire the dog out before you leave the house. Play with him excerise, I even seen them put a dog on a treadmill. When you leave the the pup will be so tired out he will sleep all day instead of dig.
LOL This dog has a never ending supply of energy! We take him to my parent's house and he'll chase the horses all day. He also follows us when we are riding on the 4-wheelers! That definitely tires him out but I can't do that everyday. Maybe a few more walks during the day will do the trick! Thanks!

Jen
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:48 AM

Teflon coated doggie shoes should end the digging, and a muzzle will keep him from chewing on things. Of course there is really no substitution for electric current.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Im telling you call the Bark Buster they come to your house, you will see a change in his behavoir almost right away..No electric collars that is just flat out mean..Way it sounds to me is he thinks he is king of the house so you need to knock him down show him who is boss..They will show you how to do that..
Here is the website http://www.barkbusters.com/

Try it trust me you thank me afterwards...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode