Runs like crap at idle - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 54
Runs like crap at idle

Hey a buddy just bought a 95 katana 750 (ugly bitch) But what the deal is it runs like shit at an idle and wants to die. Not sure where to start. The bike set for 2 years before he got it. It won't really idle at all without the choke, if you get into it it runs good but just won't stay running at stop lights. So here are some problems

1. Wants to die at idle
2. With choke on idles at about 4000 rpms, no happy medium
3. Set for 2 years
4. Yosh pipe and supposedly jetted, not sure.


Where the hell do I start? He don't have alot of money. And limited knowledge.
Tribby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 135
couple of more questions you should ask, how old is the gas that's in there? When's the last time the carbs have been cleaned? After sitting for two years gasoline turns into a gumy type varnish and clogs up those carbs nicely. Also old gas doesn't ignite properly. Another thing it could be is your idle setting screw, or quite possibly a vacum leak around the rubber carb boots. It could also be fouled plugs, or bad sparkplug wires. Pull the plugs and take a look at the color on the tip, should be a tan brownish color. If it's black or white then it's missfiring, or is too rich. Then check the airfilter is clean which also greatly effects idle.

Last edited by mike_drz; 05-18-2006 at 05:52 PM.
mike_drz is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_drz
couple of more questions you should ask, how old is the gas that's in there? When's the last time the carbs have been cleaned? After sitting for two years gasoline turns into a gumy type varnish and clogs up those carbs nicely. Also old gas doesn't ignite properly. Another thing it could be is your idle setting screw, or quite possibly a vacum leak around the rubber carb boots. It could also be fouled plugs, or bad sparkplug wires. Pull the plugs and take a look at the color on the tip, should be a tan brownish color. If it's black or white then it's missfiring, or is too rich. Then check the airfilter is clean which also greatly effects idle.

Cool, I'll have him check those. I know he's not still running the old gas but as far as gummy residue left in there who knows. I do know he went out and bought some 100 octane fuel to run through it, don't know if that will help or hurt. But I will give him the message to check the plugs and check for vacuum lecks and the air filter and stuff. Thanks
Tribby is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:12 PM
jackdrinker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
100 octane is a waste and it will do more harm if it's gummed up..
They need to come off and get dipped over-nite...
Also, they may need to be synch'd...
If it has a ton of miles the jetting orfice tends to enlarge over time...
Go buy a gallon of chem-dip at autozone and soak them overnite
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered User
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pinckney, MI 48169
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Tribby
Cool, I'll have him check those. I know he's not still running the old gas but as far as gummy residue left in there who knows. I do know he went out and bought some 100 octane fuel to run through it, don't know if that will help or hurt. But I will give him the message to check the plugs and check for vacuum lecks and the air filter and stuff. Thanks
Octane rating is not a measure of the "quality" of gasoline... Running 100 octane in a Kanatuna is like wiping your ass with Kleenex... it works, but is a waste. It is probably dirty carbs, which will need to be removed, cleaned and/or hot tanked... If it still runs like crap after the carbs are cleaned, then it is probably because it has been rejetted incorrectly. In addition, the first thing you should do when you buy a used bike is change the plugs and the oil/filter, regardless of if the former owner claims they were just changed...
paragon is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 237
carbs, fuel filter, and maybe some plugs and she'll be good to go. maybe an airfilter too while you have all that stuff apart.
sodamninsane is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 6
definetly the slow speed circuit in the carbs. remove, clean thoroughly and reinstall. dipping may work,but while you have them off, you may as well disassemble them and give them a proper cleaning.
wes54 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,254
it is a vacuum leak....
Judge is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,622
for sale looks like crap and doesnt idle
best offer
LOL
almightys is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally posted by almightys
for sale looks like crap and doesnt idle
best offer
LOL
He got rid of it and spent some real money I'm trying to add picture so be patient.
Tribby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome