Road Trips? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Road Trips?

Hey cool ducati guy, or big busa guy, sorry you're the only two I remember from the meeting talking about longer trips.

I'm getting in the mood to go somewhere, i hate being home and all this rain is making me super stircrazy. Are you guys planning some big trips anytime in the near future?

Some things I've been reading up on:

Americade Motorcycle Rally <- Looks awesome!
The Laconia NH bike week
Deals Gap
Barber Motorsports Park
AMA Motorcycle Museum near Columbus OH
Bike trip to Cedar Point
trip to DC
The govenor of Idaho promoting his state for riders
June's issue of Rider Mag, 3 stories about bike camping

What do you guys think? Stircrazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:42 AM

check out the ride calander.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:02 AM

stir crazy fo sho.
if you don't sell you're yz by this weekend, i think we're going to try heading to that track again..

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:12 AM

Laconia is a blast...I've made the trip both when I lived in NJ and while I was out here. It was probably a long trip when I went from here but it would be cool with some others.....The people watching was cool but once the AMA stopped racing there I stopped going and started heading to Road America in Wisconsin. If you decide to go, let me know and I'll try and remember some details....

Justin
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:19 AM

ohhhhhhhhh daniel im down for a cedar point ride, lets set up a weekend, my girl will really want to go shes been begging me to take her to cedar point (cause i went without her like 4 times!)

motocross? this weekend? call me james
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
I'm always up for a weekend of riding. As far as the road trips go, I'm down for just about anything. There is going to be a long haul trip, about 2000 miles, coming up during 4th of July. Details on that are being worked out. But there are two ways of doing road trips, trailering the bikes to your destination and riding to your destination. Both require good amounts of planning.

Trailering is sometimes better, but less fun because you are in the truck some of the time. But it is better as you don't get fatigued very easily. Ask me about that later. For example you have a support vehicle with lots of tools, ramps, gear, and whatever you may need. In other words you have back up in the unfortunate incident of someone in your party going down. Having room is a luxury.

When you ride to your destination, it is a different beast. You need to have enough room on your bike for tools and clothes. Clearly there is very limited amounts of room. I think I have it figured out to where all I need is a tail bag and a tank bag. The last few years we have gone to New York City, West Virginia, Deals Gap, to name a few. But you need to be sure you are in shape, and your body can handle the physical demands. It might sound weird, but it is true. You will be amazed.

What kind of road trip did you have in mind? We can easily put together a road trip to say West Virginia. With hauling the trailer it is only about 10 hours away. Personally, I like WV better than the Deals Gap area. Then you must assure your bike is in good mechanical order. The standards like brakes, tires (ahem, Chuck), vital fluids, and the like.

Then you have to consider what you want to do on this trip. You need a good mix of riding and doing touristy things. Just about anywhere I haven't been is a good destination for me. I say this because sometimes when you've done 300-500 a day for two or three days you need a day of rest.

I think a WV trip is in our near future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:46 AM

West Virginia Pics

Charlotte/Knoxville Pics

Mid-Ohio Pics

There are more pics floating around too of Deals Gap, New York City, Niagara Falls, Traverse City, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group times square ii.jpg (69.3 KB, 76 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
I say this because sometimes when you've done 300-500 a day for two or three days you need a day of rest.

or just make sure the hotel you stay at has a hot tub!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
I'm always up for a weekend of riding. As far as the road trips go, I'm down for just about anything. There is going to be a long haul trip, about 2000 miles, coming up during 4th of July. Details on that are being worked out. But there are two ways of doing road trips, trailering the bikes to your destination and riding to your destination. Both require good amounts of planning.

Trailering is sometimes better, but less fun because you are in the truck some of the time. But it is better as you don't get fatigued very easily. Ask me about that later. For example you have a support vehicle with lots of tools, ramps, gear, and whatever you may need. In other words you have back up in the unfortunate incident of someone in your party going down. Having room is a luxury.

When you ride to your destination, it is a different beast. You need to have enough room on your bike for tools and clothes. Clearly there is very limited amounts of room. I think I have it figured out to where all I need is a tail bag and a tank bag. The last few years we have gone to New York City, West Virginia, Deals Gap, to name a few. But you need to be sure you are in shape, and your body can handle the physical demands. It might sound weird, but it is true. You will be amazed.

What kind of road trip did you have in mind? We can easily put together a road trip to say West Virginia. With hauling the trailer it is only about 10 hours away. Personally, I like WV better than the Deals Gap area. Then you must assure your bike is in good mechanical order. The standards like brakes, tires (ahem, Chuck), vital fluids, and the like.

Then you have to consider what you want to do on this trip. You need a good mix of riding and doing touristy things. Just about anywhere I haven't been is a good destination for me. I say this because sometimes when you've done 300-500 a day for two or three days you need a day of rest.

I think a WV trip is in our near future.
Lots of good info, thanks man

WV would be awesome. I'd really like to try a full riding trip, to try to get more aquainted with my bike. Having Marched Drum Corps last year, I know what its like to live out of a suitcase, I did it from May 31st to August 18th..haha.

Are you guys planning on going out to royal oak this thursday? If so, I'd like to meet up for dinner and talk about some things. I'd like to learn what you guys know, so I can spread it when I go back up to state.

And Ducky man, you're from madison heights right? I used to live around 13 and john r, Just near Page Middle school and the rubber burning plant. If i see you around I'll wave..haha
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xdbx

And Ducky man, you're from madison heights right? I used to live around 13 and john r, Just near Page Middle school and the rubber burning plant. If i see you around I'll wave..haha
Uh, yeah. You can call me Doc or Anthony. Ducky Man just doesn't do it for me.

I live in the sub near the nature center.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode