Riding Gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
Question Riding Gear

Hey for those of you who don't know I'm planning on picking up BigC's ZX6E this weekend. It will be my first bike so I've got some newb questions...

I took the MSF last summer and got my endorsement so I have a:

-HJC Full Face Helmet
-Riding gloves
-Cat workboots

I was wondering what you guys would reccomend for the rest of the riding gear. I plan to ride rain or shine so I need some good stuff and with this being my first bike I might need it to save my skin.

I've also got:

-Leather coat thick leather but not made for riding
-Jeans

What else am I gonna need to get? and value is important as I am gonna be fairly broke after I buy the bike.

Local shops that are good and website links appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 04:50 PM

A riding specific jacket and gloves is a must. There are some inexpensive textile jackets that are worth looking into (Icon or Joe Rocket)...so you could get away with that over leather and save a few bucks as well as being safe. I recommend Icon riding boots...good every day boots for riding...and have ankle straps to save them in case the bike says get off and walk. Long gloves...(gauntlet) are what I prefer to use but I also have a set of Icon shorties. If you want leather...look at the thickness as well as the stitching....triple stiched is preferred....and make sure there are zero loose threads....I will get bashed...but I do not recommend Joe Rocket leathes. I saw what a full suit looked like after a POCKET bike accident in a parking lot....I would hate to see it after a real crash...if you get leather...spend some cash. The jacket will last you a long time so it is an investment.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 PM

Gear is an investment; although it doesn't HAVE to be purchased before you get the bike, it's a good idea. Pick it up in pieces as the money comes your way. If you have a set of gloves now, use them for the time being until you get some cash to buy a better pair. The same goes for a jacket. If you have a heavy denim carrhart jacket, use that until you can find a good deal on a leather or textile. Buy used if you can. Riders will often sell gear b/c it no longer matches their bike, they've gotten out of riding, or they outgrew it. Take advantage of their loss.

-=bmacd=-

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:30 AM

yeah, like how bill took advantage of me in that case lol...

how big are you? i just ordered a new jacket and helmet so i will be getting rid of my alpinestars t-stunt textile jacket and my nolan x-lite helmet....the jacket is a M and the helmet is a L. let me know if you might be interested in the jacket, you can have it for like $75. but its blue, and i think the bike you're getting is red...dont know if you care. i have a green bike and my jacket is blue, i never really cared.

ps textile is fine, dont let anyone else tell you different. it will protect you very well in a fall. but its your choice, leather or textile. textile is cheaper and cooler in the summer due to leather being super hot obviously. but leather is tried and true for great protection. you can't go wrong either way, its personal preference, but i swear by my textile gear.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 AM

www.newenough.com

lots of good specials and closeouts on gear.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
Quote:
Originally posted by Neller0414
yeah, like how bill took advantage of me in that case lol...

how big are you? i just ordered a new jacket and helmet so i will be getting rid of my alpinestars t-stunt textile jacket and my nolan x-lite helmet....the jacket is a M and the helmet is a L. let me know if you might be interested in the jacket, you can have it for like $75. but its blue, and i think the bike you're getting is red...dont know if you care. i have a green bike and my jacket is blue, i never really cared.

ps textile is fine, dont let anyone else tell you different. it will protect you very well in a fall. but its your choice, leather or textile. textile is cheaper and cooler in the summer due to leather being super hot obviously. but leather is tried and true for great protection. you can't go wrong either way, its personal preference, but i swear by my textile gear.
I'm 6'2" and like 220 so I dont think it will fit thanks for the offer
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:06 AM

lol nope!

try www.motofit.com, they are a store in CT i think, i found them online and i just ordered a hjc pink helmet for my gf that i couldnt find in stock anywhere else in the country and its backordered, and it showed up at my door 3 days later. then they beat the price of my new gear i found on another site that was really cheap to begin with, i got a icon team merc jacket and the new kbc urban assault special edition helmet for $300 shipped to my door, and that jacket is 160 in stores and the helmet is 200. good place and they have a lot in stock.

i also have used

www.kneedraggers.com

www.metricbikes-superstore.com (this place has awesome icon deals)

but motofit beat the deals there, so if u want new stuff try that. store prices are ridiculous, not that i dont support local stores, but unless u know sum1, you pay too much. even if you do know someone, you will prob still pay too much.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM

nate, gotta get rid of the comma in the first link for it to work
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:55 AM

Re: Riding Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by xboxdynasty
Hey for those of you who don't know I'm planning on picking up BigC's ZX6E this weekend. It will be my first bike so I've got some newb questions...

I took the MSF last summer and got my endorsement so I have a:

-HJC Full Face Helmet
-Riding gloves
-Cat workboots

I was wondering what you guys would reccomend for the rest of the riding gear. I plan to ride rain or shine so I need some good stuff and with this being my first bike I might need it to save my skin.

I've also got:

-Leather coat thick leather but not made for riding
-Jeans

What else am I gonna need to get? and value is important as I am gonna be fairly broke after I buy the bike.

Local shops that are good and website links appreciated.
cat work boots, I have some ICON white motorhead boots 4 sale, white, $100 there yours, there brand new, never worn.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 PM

If you're riding rain and dry, I also recommend textile. It's not advertised as "waterproof," but I've been out in the rain with my textiles on and stayed completely dry.

So you need: jacket, motorcycle pants(also textile), and boots.

Don't skimp too much. I did at first, and ended up replacing the crappy stuff, which just cost me more money. I bought cheap Joe Rocket gloves, and after getting them realized they probably won't protect too much. Get some boots that go over your ankle, get a jacket with armor.

And +1 on newenough.com, the closeouts offer some great deals, and I've never had a problem with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode