Eastern KY last weekend - lots of fun and lots of rain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Eastern KY last weekend - lots of fun and lots of rain

Well, I am back from the first trip of the year.

Lots of fun and LOTS of rain.

All ready to go!!!

We left Thursday morning at 8:30, just after rush hour. It was maybe 40 degrees and sunny. Not bad at all. Met my brother in Lima OH, about 3 hours ride. Sun and great riding weather by this time. Well... that did last long.:nonono:

Had to stop at Meijer for my brother to buy a rain suit since he left his sitting on the couch. Just after we left Meijer.... the clouds came in and so did the rain... and I mean RAIN. Little did I know... that was just the beginning of 8 hours worth of rain.

I was doing good... and my buddy was hanging behind me pretty good. My brother was having a lot of trouble seeing, and would fall back every once in a while. So, one time I slowed up... he comes my buddy... but, not my brother. Well, I can only slow so much without beig in danger of the cars coming up real fast. So, we pull over under a brdge to wait. And wait... and wait. Call him on his cell phone... nothing. Well it ended up there was a little cinfusion, and he made the exit... and I didnt know I had to... and we got split up.

After calls back and forth.. and he had no signal on his cell phone, we finally were able to get messages back and forth to each other to just meet at the hotel... another 2 hours away. Finally met up at the hotel, and he had just arrived and checked in. Turned out I was about 20 min behind him. :brick: But, at least we are both safe, and can dry out. Got a good dinner... and a 'few' beers.

Friday morning was beautiful!!!! Dried up quick and was a little cool to start, but not bad at all. We heard there may be some storms in the eveing... but we'll worry about that then. :tut:

A few pictures I did take. Arent many, because it was either raining all weekend, or I was too excited to ride, that I didnt bother to take them.

The crew.

A stop at a look out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Here is the strip mining... blasting that is going on all over in the area. Kind of sad.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

We had a few places we wanted to see while we were there, but it just in the plans to see them all.

We did make it to Pinnacle Point, which is supposed to be the highest place in the area... I think maybe all of Kentucky. But, our luck... it was closed for repaving.:bitch:

We went through the signs, and made it about half way up before the construction crew stopped us. They were nice... but couldnt 'risk' us continuing on up.

Well, after this... we were about 1 hr or so from the hotel.. maybe a little more. And we notced the wind start to pick up... and the clouds are starting to roll in. Time to get back to the hotel... the bad weather is starting to come in.

Well... it started to rain pretty quick. Then we started to see branches in the road... and trees!!! And major wash outs... a mud slide!!! Then we came to an area that the sleet/hail storm must have just stopped. There were cars hiding under bridges... one guy was trying to hide his hood under a tractor trailer. Then anohter two cars stopped looking at all the dents and a broken windshield!!!! But... its only raining on us... but people sure were looking at us like we were nuts!! Some places had hail almost as big as golf balls. Ground was completely covered, except the roads in hail... strange to come riding through this.

If it started to hail on us... I was going to pull over and hug the tank to protect it. :-)

Made it back to the hotel after dark... and thats when we found out what we missed. We must have been just minutes behind those NASTY storms. Then we heard about the tornados in TN... and the people that died.

Wow... what a way to end the day!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

We were able to make it the Natrual Bridge recreation area.

Lets say, it was a nice place to see.. I dont regret it at all... but it sure wasnt smart hiking in sport bike boots, pants and a jacket... especially since we were dressed to ride in 35-45 degree weather.

The short route was .5 miles. But.. by the end, we hiked about 3 miles!!!

If I wasnt dressed in all my gear... I was going to go down in ths cave. Maybe next time if I come back.

The bridge from down below... after a long climb up.

This was the path up to the top of the bridge... some of the... more... um... large poeple would have trouble getting through.

Up on top.

Back down below.

This part of the trail was like a rain forest.

Part of the walkway.

Saturday was a perfect day for riding. After about 1 hour of mist in the morning... the rest of the day was great.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

The ride home was nice weather also... very cold, but nice. Hit some great roads on the way home also... well at least until we got to OH... then it was back to straight and boring.

But, somewhere near northern KY... was ate at this little diner. I highly recommend it for a home cooked lunch.

And here is the aftermath of hundreds of miles of rain.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:23 PM

congrats!

I'd say I hope you had fun, but I'm sure you cant wipe that shit eating grin off your face anyways!

Lookingforward to do a shadow trip, be sure and post up anything else neat you remember, and I'd be interested to know some mileage estimates, etc.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 06:41 PM

Nice pics. Glad you made it through okay since the whole region had some really rough weather. We go camping alot at the Red River Gorge area which is close to Natural Bridge Park. There are actually quite a few natural bridges and arches, not to mention cliffs and other rock formations. Eastern Ky is a beatiful place.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by xdbx
congrats!

I'd say I hope you had fun, but I'm sure you cant wipe that shit eating grin off your face anyways!

Lookingforward to do a shadow trip, be sure and post up anything else neat you remember, and I'd be interested to know some mileage estimates, etc.
From my place near Almont... it was just a tad over 500 miles to Hazard, KY where we stayed. I think we did about 700 miles in the two days of riding we were down there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

It was a good time for sure. Cant wait till the next trip!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by four_by_ken
From my place near Almont... it was just a tad over 500 miles to Hazard, KY where we stayed. I think we did about 700 miles in the two days of riding we were down there.
Were them Duke boys out tearing it up or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode